FEMA Credit Cards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

FEMA Credit Cards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:38 am

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:don't let fema off the hook for this one. this is a blunder of epic proportions. no planning, no strategy, no clue, no vision. hmmm, i'm drawing parallels to another disaster...i'll leave it at that.

The Oklahoma Sooners' 2005 campaign? :-?

i'm confused, which one was that? the past 3 have been absolute disasters.

moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:50 am

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:damn. i need one of those cards.

No kidding! I saw the disaster on the news. Am I covered? O:-)

Some pinecones from my neighbors pine tree fell in my yard. I think that should get me one.... ;-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:21 pm

TheBigBakedBean wrote:
onnestabe wrote:The distribution of relief funds after Katrina was an absolute disaster, with many people that sincerely needed help not getting any/enough, and others (that didn't face anything but some inconvenience) milking the system to the detriment of people that face real problems. But that's the story with all government assistance, and there's not a lot that can be done about it.

In this case, there was a lot that could have been done that wasn't.

For starters, I'm not so sure that credit cards were the best thing to hand out. They should have worked out a partnership with Home Depot and given away vouchers redeemable towards supplies. Vouchers for food, and hotel stays comped.

The only thing FEMA should have been responsible for providing was food, shelter, and HELP in funding repairs. All of these things could have been given in the form of vouchers that could only be redeemed appropriately.

I know that ultimately the fault doesn't lie with FEMA but those who took advantage of FEMA's piss-poor setup, but that doesn't mean that there isn't anything that FEMA could have done differently that would have made this situation better. They definitely could have prevented this by not handing out credit cards in the first place.

That being said, it is my personal opinion that the government shouldn't hand out money to anyone. I hate that 30% of my paycheck is taken from me and given, in portions, to lazy asses who not only don't deserve it, but spend it on stuff it wasn't intended for in the first place. Not to threadjack, but the problem of people taking advantage of free money will only go away if you stop giving them free money.

They did give out food stamps (not sure if it was FEMA or the Red Cross), and I know plenty of people that got them.

In situations like these you do have to choose between getting help out to people quickly and having controls over the funds being distributed. I can't really fault FEMA for opting to get the relief out there quickly, especially since they were already dealing with fallout from the inadequacies of their immediate response.

The idea behind the FEMA cards is that different people are going to have different needs, depending on their situation. Some people need more housing assistance, some will need to pay for day care, some will need to pay for food, some will have to buy clothes so they can go to work and support themselves.

After Katrina, I didn't really need food stamps or housing assistance beacuse I was still getting paid every two weeks, but I did have to go out and buy suitable dress clothes, since all of mine were in New Orleans, while I was in Houston. I also needed a rental car, and other miscellaneous items. Luckily, my employer helped out a ton, because I was turned down for any FEMA assistance.

You are right that the fault for this lies with the people that milk the system, but I find it attrocious that you think the government shouldn't help people when a major city is destroyed because it puts a small financial burden on yourself. If you really have a problem with the amount of money being taken out of your paycheck, protest the war, not disaster relief. A lot more of that 30% goes to the military than it does to FEMA.

EDIT: I am willing to bet you would change your tune about social welfare programs if you got injured on the job and had to draw on workman's comp. Or were forced to draw on government funds for help if something else bad were to happen to you.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:11 am

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:45 am

onnestabe wrote:EDIT: I am willing to bet you would change your tune about social welfare programs if you got injured on the job and had to draw on workman's comp. Or were forced to draw on government funds for help if something else bad were to happen to you.

Worker's compensation is insurance paid for by the employer. It's not a free govt. handout.

His point was that a large percentage of people that do draw on govt funds are opportunists that have no desire to work even though they're fully capable. I'm not saying these plans aren't necessary, but they most certainly are abused.

I don't understand how some people could be completely void of pride. To not care that you're a burden to society and you can't pull your own weight. That you have to be taken care of by the govt. It just baffles me.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:20 am

josebach wrote:
onnestabe wrote:EDIT: I am willing to bet you would change your tune about social welfare programs if you got injured on the job and had to draw on workman's comp. Or were forced to draw on government funds for help if something else bad were to happen to you.

Worker's compensation is insurance paid for by the employer. It's not a free govt. handout.

His point was that a large percentage of people that do draw on govt funds are opportunists that have no desire to work even though they're fully capable. I'm not saying these plans aren't necessary, but they most certainly are abused.

I don't understand how some people could be completely void of pride. To not care that you're a burden to society and you can't pull your own weight. That you have to be taken care of by the govt. It just baffles me.

;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby onnestabe » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:25 am

josebach wrote:

The last thing he said was that he doesn't think the government should give money away to anyone, and I think that is a very narrow view of things.

I know I am coming off as very liberal, here, but I am not a liberal. I hate the state of New Orleans with regard to freeloaders and their sense of entitlement with regard to government handouts, but at the same time, it has to be acknowledged that FEMA had a difficult task, and they had to choose between getting the money out to people who desperately needed it or depriving everyone of it.

If the government has to pay for a few lap-dances for the few bad apples along with the food and shelter for all the good ones, so be it.

Also, you're right about worker's comp being provided by the employer, but I was just using that as an example. I have a feeling he would change his tune if his life took a little twist and he became someone who needed help with nowhere to turn but the government. I could have just as easily said unemployment - which is a payroll tax deducted from everyone's earnings, and is administered by the government.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:05 am

onnestabe wrote:
josebach wrote:

The last thing he said was that he doesn't think the government should give money away to anyone, and I think that is a very narrow view of things.

I know I am coming off as very liberal, here, but I am not a liberal. I hate the state of New Orleans with regard to freeloaders and their sense of entitlement with regard to government handouts, but at the same time, it has to be acknowledged that FEMA had a difficult task, and they had to choose between getting the money out to people who desperately needed it or depriving everyone of it.

If the government has to pay for a few lap-dances for the few bad apples along with the food and shelter for all the good ones, so be it.

Also, you're right about worker's comp being provided by the employer, but I was just using that as an example. I have a feeling he would change his tune if his life took a little twist and he became someone who needed help with nowhere to turn but the government. I could have just as easily said unemployment - which is a payroll tax deducted from everyone's earnings, and is administered by the government.

I agree with this. I'm sure a majority of Katrina victims that received money used it as it was intended.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:36 pm

Sad truth that there are just a ton of really lazy people out there...but hey, if they're going to give you something for nothing, why not take it?

I like what you wrote, Omaha. I don't mind the people who use the assistance for the correct purpose, but the others ire me. Like I always say...if those people used their brains for good reasons instead of crappy ones like finding ways to screw the system, the world might be a better place. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:23 pm

It's like issues with race, politics and most other issues. The ones that abuse it ruin it for the people who really need the help.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk