Employers use the web too - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Employers use the web too

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Tiki » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:47 pm

My myspace ( !+)) doesn't have any of that stuff due to school. Although my religion teacher talked to me about the photo I used. (The Turtle One). ;-D :-]
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:25 pm

Tiki wrote:My myspace ( !+)) doesn't have any of that stuff due to school. Although my religion teacher talked to me about the photo I used. (The Turtle One). ;-D :-]

Haha! I found that funny.

I don't have myspace or facebook and I guess I never got interested in it. I'm stuck with you guys at the cafe I guess :-/ ;-)
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby xted30 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:48 pm

I think the major point of the article is that the information is available and employers will use it. And why shouldn't they? Granted, the first post about the smokin' blunts, obsessive sex, and shooting people is probably just someone kidding around. But, this should hopefully teach the people that are posting things like that a lesson.

Take the cafe for example. I would surely have guessed that many of our members are at least mid-to-late 20's, and mainly in their 30's. This is all strictly due to the (mostly) mature manner that people use to conduct themselves here. The reason it happens here is because it's a family environment. What's so wrong with having to conduct yourself in the same manner with your other online exploits if they can lead to a better position in life? It's a trade-off, just like everything else. I agree with the fact that employers should use the information available to them to help make a decision.

I'll step down off my soap box now.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:00 am

I think thats horrible. I might get blown away, but this is my opinion. How can you judge someone from a myspace/facebook site. That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of. If there individuals works hard in college, makes good grades, and is involved in the school/internships. Explain to me why he shouldnt get the job. Because he drinks? So you wouldnt hire someone because he does something legal? So what if he drinks alot. I know alot of people who drink alot and never miss a day of work in their life. Point is...just curious why you guys think its fair to judge someones life outside of work to determine if he or she is worthy of a job. Whats the difference in a guy who goes out and drinks with his friends after work and a guy who goes to mcdonalds and supersizes everything then goes home and sits on the couch the rest of the night. Both are just as bad for your body as the next. Ill get off my soapbox now
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:19 am

mysticphysh wrote:
Take that opening example who likes blunts, shooting people and obsessive sex...the dude could be the best worker that company could have taken on in years, but since he was an idiot and goofed off online, they will never know.

I'm an employer, and given the choice between two equal applicants, one who was an idiot and goofed off online and one who didn't, I'll take the one who didn't. Yeah maybe the first guy would have been a great employee but putting that kind of stuff on public view when you are job-hunting shows bad judgement - why should I hire somebody like that when there are other good applicants?
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:39 am

Great point by Goatwacker (what does a name like that say about you as an employer? :-b ;-) ).

Whether you like it or not, now employers have another resource to make their decisions. They have that option and that right to do this. If you're stupid enough to advertise that you enjoy smoking blunts, excessive drinking, sex and whatever else, there's a good chance someone, with a choice like this to make, may see this.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:36 am

There was a lot of conflict about this exactly here in Gainesville. The problem is that if you're getting a UF position here, since they have a UF email, they can look at anybody at UF's facebook and thus started looking into students before hiring them. It was pretty big with the college newspaper and a few students took it pretty seriously.

To be honest though, not many students have changed their facebook profiles and I honestly don't think it plays any major role in the hiring practices around here, no matter how big of a deal is made of it. I mean, obviously if you're a moron and you post on your page that you sell drugs or something along those lines you're not going to get the job, but a few pictures of you partying, normal college stuff and I don't think any employer would have a problem. Hey, remember, even the people hiring employees were kids once, and they probably went to college too.

The question that Goatwhacker brought up is an interesting one as well. While yes, it may be true that you'll hire the clean applicant over the goof off? But if you are looking at two equal applicants and one has a profile that talks about knitting on the weekends and one has a profile that talks about going to football games and tailgating (and obviously what goes along with that), is that enough of a deciding factor to make a hire based on that? Most likely not for most employers.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:44 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:But if you are looking at two equal applicants and one has a profile that talks about knitting on the weekends and one has a profile that talks about going to football games and tailgating (and obviously what goes along with that), is that enough of a deciding factor to make a hire based on that? Most likely not for most employers.

Think I'd definitely go with the football fan. That knitting guy sounds a little wacko. :-o :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:23 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:But if you are looking at two equal applicants and one has a profile that talks about knitting on the weekends and one has a profile that talks about going to football games and tailgating (and obviously what goes along with that), is that enough of a deciding factor to make a hire based on that? Most likely not for most employers.

Think I'd definitely go with the football fan. That knitting guy sounds a little wacko. :-o :-b

I don't think football vs. knitting would play into the decision. Saying you like to tailgate is a lot different than what the Myspace guy was saying. Frankly the "blunts" thing would kill the applicant for me - even if he was a great guy that's something I don't want to risk in my office.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:32 am

Goatwhacker wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I don't think football vs. knitting would play into the decision. Saying you like to tailgate is a lot different than what the Myspace guy was saying. Frankly the "blunts" thing would kill the applicant for me - even if he was a great guy that's something I don't want to risk in my office.

I wouldn't want a man who knew how to knit in my office. :-b

(not that there's anything wrong with that.)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk