Employers use the web too - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Employers use the web too

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:49 am

Goatwhacker wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:But if you are looking at two equal applicants and one has a profile that talks about knitting on the weekends and one has a profile that talks about going to football games and tailgating (and obviously what goes along with that), is that enough of a deciding factor to make a hire based on that? Most likely not for most employers.

Think I'd definitely go with the football fan. That knitting guy sounds a little wacko. :-o :-b

I don't think football vs. knitting would play into the decision. Saying you like to tailgate is a lot different than what the Myspace guy was saying. Frankly the "blunts" thing would kill the applicant for me - even if he was a great guy that's something I don't want to risk in my office.

Exactly, employers are looking for well rounded applicants, and being socially active in acceptable practices (and tailgating falls under the 'acceptable' umbrella) is something they look for. But they also want someone who appears to be ready to take on the responsibility of a job, and things like sex, drugs, and rock and roll (maybe not the latter) don't scream 'responsible' to an employer.

Drug use and anything else that is a felony offense is a big no-no for employers - most emplyers want you to have a clean driving record, so think how they would feel about you comitting felonies in your free time. It's not such a big deal that you have sex, but that you would broadcast it over the internet. These days, if it is on the internet, it is in the office, too, and no employer wants to deal with sexually explicit pictures of their employees floating around the office - that kind of crap leads to lawsuits, which are bad for business.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk