The Balanced Man wrote:Can you download your DVD's onto it?
Yes and No.
It will play most .avi files, including those encoded using DIVX or XVID codecs. It will involve a few steps and a lot longer than you might think, but yes, you can take a movie that you own on DVD and get it onto your iPod. But it's not going to be drag-and-drop.
Basically, these are the steps involved:
1) copy raw dvd data to comp HDD
2) decode video and audio seperately
3) choose the portion you want to keep (usually from beginning of feature to end credits - leaving out the menus and special features)
4) encode using a divx or xvid codec (this is the long part and usually takes about 2x the time it would take to actually sit down and watch the movie)
5) import into iTunes under 'videos.' If it plays from iTunes, then it'll play on the iPod, as the iPod basically uses the same QuickTime player that iTunes does.
6) copy to iPod.
All in all, it may be more trouble than it's worth.
Now if you already have a lot of divx .avi files on your computer, you can go straight to step 5.