How big is the Earth? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

How big is the Earth?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:08 pm

Tiki wrote:There has got to be other life!

You mean, "Out There?"

I totally agree. The Universe is entirely too big for us to be the ONLY life. It is almost vast beyond our comprehension, except in the most general terms.

Tom Selleck hosted a really great show on The Learning Channel (back when it was still The LEARNING Channel) in 1993. It was a ten-part series where they discussed the best scientific data to date in really basic, easy to understand terms.

At the end of the series they went through some “conservative” numbers to show how possible/likely it is that there is life out there. They went something like this (paraphrasing):

If we took all the stars like our sun in the Universe, and only one percent of those had planets, and of those only one percent had planets like Earth, and only one percent of those had the necessary building blocks for life, and only one percent of those actually HAD life, and only one percent of those had life that was as technologically advanced as us, there would still be something like 100 million civilizations like ours in the Universe.

I’ve tried to find this quote online but I can’t. It’s certainly not conclusive and it really means nothing if there ARE 100 million civilizations like ours out there because if they are out there it doesn’t do us much good here, but the bottom line is that, with the billions of stars in our galaxy alone and the billions of galaxies that are out there, there HAS to be some other sentient species.

There HAS to be.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:26 pm

knapplc wrote:There HAS to be.

Of course, you still have to get around the problem of life making itself alive aout of a bunch of dead stuff for no apparent reason.

I still want to know how that happens, because we haven't been able to duplicate the advent of life as yet.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:35 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:

Of course, you still have to get around the problem of life making itself alive aout of a bunch of dead stuff for no apparent reason.

I still want to know how that happens, because we haven't been able to duplicate the advent of life as yet.

Yes, well, we all have our theories and beliefs. Mine centers around a guy who lived a couple thousand years ago. You've probably heard His name once or twice. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:39 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:

Just like popcorn NFL Fan. *POP* and there it was. Please don't ask us where the kernel came from.

:-b
O:-)
Let's not go in this direction NFL Fan. It ends up nowhere.

...but I agree with you.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:40 pm

knapplc wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:

Yes, well, we all have our theories and beliefs. Mine centers around a guy who lived a couple thousand years ago. You've probably heard His name once or twice. ;-)

caesar? :-?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:47 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
Of course, you still have to get around the problem of life making itself alive out of a bunch of dead stuff for no apparent reason.

I believe there was a successful experiment about 20 years ago...

It's commonly referred to as Rap.

:-b
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:

Bilbo Baggins?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby citybirds27 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:03 pm

knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:That sun is huge! I thought it was just as big as the moon.

No, it just looks that way because the moon is much closer than the sun.

I'm smart.

Odd that the moon is almost exactly the same relative size as the sun in the sky, but they're vastly different sizes in reality.

Odd occurrence, that.

Because they moon is vastly closer

mysticphysh wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:Cool stuff!

At 670 million miles per hour, it takes light four years to travel from here to Alpha Centauri (the nearest star to Earth). The same light takes over 100,000 years to cross our galaxy.

Now, do a google search. Type in something like 'big bang rapid expansion' and see how fast our scientific community now believes the entire universe was filled. Go ahead... you might be surprised.

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish ... ml?1632006

I thought that was the sun :-?

The next closest star
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:40 pm

citybirds27 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:That sun is huge! I thought it was just as big as the moon.

No, it just looks that way because the moon is much closer than the sun.

I'm smart.

Odd that the moon is almost exactly the same relative size as the sun in the sky, but they're vastly different sizes in reality.

Odd occurrence, that.

Because they moon is vastly closer

Right. What I'm saying is that, taking the vast difference in distance, it's odd that the moon would be exactly the same size as the sun.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby citybirds27 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:53 pm

Oh, thats good to know, i didnt think you were thaaat dumb :-b
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk