More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire

Moderator: Football Moderators

More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire

Postby jayday » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:58 am

What a slimeball reporter....Anything to sell a paper I guess.....He picks out the fringe area nutcases and represents them as the majority....I'm sure you could find the same amount of crazies on Steelers boards after Carson's injury (not anyone here)....Every team has them....They're lunatics...

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Trash-talking NFL fans waste no time reveling in Roethlisberger's misfortune

Thursday, June 15, 2006

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For those who thought Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer displayed a childish attitude in Sports Illustrated a few weeks back when he proclaimed "I hate the Steelers," wait until they get a load of what some Bengals fans had to say in the moments after Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident Monday.

As the news and pictures were posted on internet Web sites, Bengals backers at Bengalsforum.com made light of the fact that the Steelers' quarterback had sustained severe injuries, with many of them proclaiming that justice had been served. A few Cincinnati fans said in their messages that it served Roethlisberger and the Steelers right because former Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, they contended, intentionally injured Palmer in an AFC wild-card game at Paul Brown Stadium in January.

"Irony, they cheap shot their way to a Super Bowl**, now karma comes in," wrote a poster with the handle Spain.

Another poster with the handle jjakg27 wrote: "What comes around ..."

Cantonbengal posted: "This is what I been waiting to see happen to the Steelers they all laughed at us when Carson went down. At least, Carson isn't [stupid] like Ben ... hopefully he might miss some time this season."

The messages were posted in the moments or hours after the accident Monday when the severity of Roethlisberger's condition was unclear.

The ill will toward Roethlisberger and the Steelers was not confined to Cincinnati cyberspace. Message boards from around the NFL were filled with tasteless comments about Roethlisberger and the accident. At The brownsboard.com, a Cleveland Browns fan site, one poster dubbed the quarterback "Ben Toothlessberger" and noted that he is now "right at home with all those Pittsburgh inbreds."

A poster with the handle flugel wondered: "who is wearing a bigger turban today? Bin Laden or Ben Ridin'?" Flugel also noted that "there's something about Steelers quarterbacks bouncing off hard surfaces that keeps this rivalry fun."

That was a reference to Terry Bradshaw getting dumped on his head by Cleveland defensive lineman Joe "Turkey" Jones at old Municipal Stadium in 1976.

Fans of the Baltimore Ravens also got into the act. Only moments after the accident, Revo2001 posted: "HAHA" followed by an expletive. A few hours later CRAVNRAVN posted: "Raven baby are now the favs to claim the division!"

So why do some football fans react in such a crazed manner in the wake of a potential tragedy?

Dr. Paul Friday, the director of clinical psychology at UPMC Shady Side, said the posters of these comments are people with psychological problems whose brains never fully developed.

Friday said the human brain does not fully develop until 25 years of age, which, he said, might explain why Roethlisberger, who is 24, decided to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Friday said the posters are either too young to know better or are people whose brains never completely wired, which can happen due to a number of circumstances, including class and culture.

"The people who are blogging in Cincinnati, they're the ones whose brains never fully develop," Friday said. "They don't perspectivize human tragedy. They don't learn to think effectively. These people are not normal. We're talking about a fringe element. We're dealing with the screaming people who are venting. These are elements that are not representative of their communities. They are representatives of their own minds."

Friday said posters on Internet message boards hide behind their keyboards and write things they would never have the courage to say aloud in public. He said posters who write tasteless messages use football and the rivalries between teams as a way of getting out their aggression in a non-violent manner. It's not necessarily a new phenomenon, just one that is more evident because of the instant communication that is available via the Internet.

"We have a degree of transference on sports figures," Friday said. "It's a way of vicariously going to battle. People can blog and send thoughts, and feel a self-induced empowerment."

The Steelers' success also is part of the equation, he said. If the Steelers had not won the Super Bowl** in February, people would not post such vitriolic messages. The Steelers are kings of the mountain, and their players are being transformed from humans into symbols, waiting to be knocked from their high perch.

"We identify with our champions," Friday said. "Maybe 3,000 years ago when we were still throwing rocks at each other, the Davids wanted to hit the Goliaths between the eyes. Every year now, we anoint a new Goliath. And we are the new Goliath after winning the Super Bowl**.

"Our heroes are no longer humans. They're symbols. Ben is no longer Mrs. Roethlisberger's son or someone who is coming to dinner. He is someone who represents the wars that take place. And there are no bigger wars than the ones that take place in the 5 1/2 inches between our ears."

(Ray Fittipaldo can be reached at mailto:rfittipaldo@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1230. )
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 am

jayday wrote:What a slimeball reporter....Anything to sell a paper I guess.....He picks out the fringe area nutcases and represents them as the majority....I'm sure you could find the same amount of crazies on Steelers boards after Carson's injury (not anyone here)....Every team has them....They're lunatics...

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

The ill will toward Roethlisberger and the Steelers was not confined to Cincinnati cyberspace. Message boards from around the NFL were filled with tasteless comments about Roethlisberger and the accident. At The brownsboard.com, a Cleveland Browns fan site, one poster dubbed the quarterback "Ben Toothlessberger" and noted that he is now "right at home with all those Pittsburgh inbreds."
)

Call me sick, call my brain "underdeveloped", but that cracked me up. Not because I like to see him hurt, but it was still funny.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby onnestabe » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:28 am

Yeah, I thought the Toothlessberger comment was funny too.

But who is this Dr. Friday that can diagnose an undeveloped brain based on a snippet of one internet forum post? :-? I don't think I would be rushing myself to a brain doctor if he were talking about posts I had made.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:39 am

Hmmm.... a little research...

Dr. Paul J. Friday received his Masters degree in 1972, and Doctoral degree in 1975 both from the University of Pittsburgh. His undergraduate studies were at LaSalle College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and as a part of that program he spent two years at the University of Vienna, Austria. He has been a licensed psychologist in the state of Pennsylvania since 1976, and has been Chief of Clinical Psychology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center-Shadyside for the past 15 years.

:-t
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:43 am

He was accurate in saying that people love to hide behind their keyboard and say things they would never have the balls to say in public. We see it all the time.

Does the Cincy contingent really think that the hit on Palmer by Kimo was intentional? Thats astonishing. I think even the Steelrs fans wanted to see that battle with both parties at full strength. I sure did. I have all the respect in the world for Palmer and what Marvin Lewis has done with that franchise. I even like Chad's trash talkin... He does it the right way were its still fun and not mean spiritted. ;-D

and I am a hard core Steelers fan. ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Popcynical » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:53 am

It goes both ways, though. My friend, an avid Steelers fan, and I were watching the game where Palmer got injured. He laughed when it happened.

I myself would rather say I was injured in a game than because I was riding a motorcycle without a helmet.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jh2031 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:54 am

I love it. Success breeds hate among other teams fans. A lot of them are just jealous so they think of the most childish things to say. And what was the Cleveland Brown fan thinking? When was the last time his team won anything? :-b :-b
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jh2031 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:59 am

On a side note, it's nice to see some class from one of the Bengals players.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said those criticizing Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet should back off.

"He went through seven hours of surgery and the last thing he needs right now is guys banging on him for not wearing a helmet," Palmer said at Bengals' minicamp in Cincinnati. "People are knocking him for not wearing a helmet and all of that, but the guy is hurting."
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Dr. Friday and the reporter were just taking cheap shots - very transparent.

I'm not a Steelers or Cinnci fan... so I'm pretty objective on this.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:19 pm

jh2031 wrote:On a side note, it's nice to see some class from one of the Bengals players.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said those criticizing Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet should back off.

"He went through seven hours of surgery and the last thing he needs right now is guys banging on him for not wearing a helmet," Palmer said at Bengals' minicamp in Cincinnati. "People are knocking him for not wearing a helmet and all of that, but the guy is hurting."

Did Palmer dispute the internet rumors that his Mother has been seen driving a car with Maine plates on it? :-b

Overzealous and undereducated is no way to go through life. These fans are proof of that. The Ben Toothlessberger comment almost makes it all forgiven, though. Classic.

In another report some Bengal players were so emotionally upset by Toothlessberger's misfortune that some are openly grieving. Chris Henry, for example, was so disturbed that he immediantly went on a drinking binge. At a pub near a local high school.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk