More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:35 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:
terpfan wrote:Redskins-Cowboys
Bears-Packers
Vikings-Packers
Chiefs-Raiders
Dolphins-Jets
Broncos-Chiefs
Patriots-Colts

At the very least.

Hell, I'd probably put Browns-Steelers over Bengals-Steelers.

Lol k

Not biased at all are ya? ;-7
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasyMan13 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:50 pm

I just don't see how you could rate it so low. It's at least 3rd IMO, behind Skins/Boys and Bears/Packers
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby biju » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:07 pm

For some reason that Friday guy really bothers me.

To characterize folks as having an underdeveloped brain for saying these things is just as immature IMO. There are some things the internet does that I find amazing:

1. Most folks at one point in time or another have said something they would never say in public because of the perceived anonymity.

2. Half of the things said aren't done maliciously because they can be said; rather the forum provides people the opportunity to say what they were likely already thinking. Note: I can honestly say when that *very first* happened to Roethlisberger I was thinking "damn, karma is a bitch!" but I would never (with the exception of "outing" myself right now) say that even in a public forum because (1) It's not an appropriate thing to say (2) I don't really wish harm to Ben or anyone for that matter, and (3) I wouldn't want the people in here to think I'm some idiot Seahawks fan who still feels depraved of a Superbowl win. Of course I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this when really I should get a biscuit for being honest about my thought process.

3. What he's judging at are things that are highly personal to folks. If I heard that someone told him to "stick his <something> up his mother's <something>" would I really find it that deplorable? No. Would I think his brain we're underdeveloped if he hit that guy? No, but that's what he's insinuating.

I guess I just assume that he's a hypocrite.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:25 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:I just don't see how you could rate it so low. It's at least 3rd IMO, behind Skins/Boys and Bears/Packers

You need 2 great teams to have 1 great rivarly. Yoda says: One good season, a rivarly makes not.

The Bengles have a few years to go before they shake the "Bungles" tagline. Once they're considered elite, then the rivarly status can/will improve.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:40 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:I just don't see how you could rate it so low. It's at least 3rd IMO, behind Skins/Boys and Bears/Packers

Not a chance. I will go so far as to say Bengals/anyone is the lamest rivalry in the NFL.

The Bengals have had no respect in the NFL for so long that no one has cared to watch any of their games, let alone their rivalry games. Do the Bengals even have a "rival?" Not really ... neither do the Ravens. They have teams they "hate" (in division), but not historic rivalries that people tune in to watch consistantly.

You need history for a rival. Browns/Steelers has plenty of history (despite the fact the Browns didn't have a team for a few years, the fans still treat it that way, and that's what matters).

Without a doubt, the Cowboys/Skins are the best rivalry. Why? Even when both teams were atrocious, they still merited great ratings. Never in sports have two teams despised each other so much, except maybe Red Sox/Yanks.

Am I biased? Sure, a little. But it still is the best rivalry from a universal fan view.

If the Bengals can hang on to key players, maybe make it to a few Super Bowls and have more fierce playoff (or playoff-potential) games with the Steelers, maybe in time it can develop into a rivalry. Right now, it's just an in-division rivalry. One of many others in the league.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire

Postby saundman2000 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:41 pm

jayday wrote:What a slimeball reporter....Anything to sell a paper I guess.....He picks out the fringe area nutcases and represents them as the majority....I'm sure you could find the same amount of crazies on Steelers boards after Carson's injury (not anyone here)....Every team has them....They're lunatics...

I couldn't agree more. You'll find that on the internet people seem to post more racist, more stupid, more childish things than they would otherwise because it is anonymous and most of them are just trying to get a rise out of people.

To quote these things in any publication is absolutely stupid. You can troll chatrooms or forums and find anything you want. All the points of view are there.

I think the nation's reaction to Big Ben was largely sympathetic and rightly so. The silent minority are apparently expressing themselves on the internet.. It does no service to broadcast the crap they post in a legitimate media outlet. Actually it calls into question the legitimacy of that particular media outlet.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:25 pm

NO....Right now, it has the potential to be a great division rivalry with all the talented youth on both teams....But Cincy still needs to notch a few more wins (especially at PBS) before this is considered a top rivalry....A couple .500 seasons and one great year doesn't get you respect around the league after a decade of losing....They're on their way up though....

But you can bet your bottom dollar it will be one of the most hyped games of the season in Week 3 with Carson and Ben's injuries and both being preseason playoff contenders....

As for other rivalries around the league, I don't get the least bit giddy inside when Dallas/Washington, Packers/Bears, or any other division rivals are set to play each other....To me, it's just another game, and I hope good football is played....

Rivalries are relative.....I think OSU/Michigan is the best in all of sports, but if you ask a Miami Hurricane fan, he'll say your crazy and that Miami/FSU is the best, and rightfully so because he has more at stake in that game....

So to say "Oh, no this rivalry is better than that rivalry" is flawed because you have nothing invested in the rivalry to experience it....My two cents...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby petedog9 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:32 pm

biju wrote:
jh2031 wrote:I love it. Success breeds hate among other teams fans. [snip]

Actually, it's the perceived "unwarranted" success that likely breeds the hate.

[removed all of that--don't need the hate mail]

"unwarranted" success?? I love that .... An 8 seed for the first time in history wins it all. 3 conference road games against The top 3 seeds and its unwarranted? Oh wait, the Super Bowl.... The refs screwed the Hawks right? The refs gave up nearly 200 yards on the ground, dropped multiple passes, longest run in SB history, turned the ball over in critical times, the list goes on and on.... :~(

I'll stop now so I dont get the hate mail.... :-o
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:49 pm

petedog9 wrote:
biju wrote:
jh2031 wrote:I love it. Success breeds hate among other teams fans. [snip]

Actually, it's the perceived "unwarranted" success that likely breeds the hate.

[removed all of that--don't need the hate mail]

"unwarranted" success?? I love that .... An 8 seed for the first time in history wins it all. 3 conference road games against The top 3 seeds and its unwarranted? Oh wait, the Super Bowl.... The refs screwed the Hawks right? The refs gave up nearly 200 yards on the ground, dropped multiple passes, longest run in SB history, turned the ball over in critical times, the list goes on and on.... :~(

I'll stop now so I dont get the hate mail.... :-o

Dude, that's why I said "perceived". If I wanted to bring all that back up I would have just said unwarranted success without quotes or anything.

the fact that Steeler fans get so worked up about all of that just further makes me feel like they're the ones trying to convince themselves of something. Don't try to displace your shame onto me by saying I'm the one who feels the Seahawks got screwed. That's not what I typed, just what you read...

:-t
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:50 pm

There's a lot of moronic, immature fans of all teams - they're the ones who can't tell the difference between trash talk and just plain stupidity. I think Palmer's reaction to Ben's accident showed a lot of class. And anyone who watched Palmer getting injured and Kimo's reaction to it knows it wasn't deliberate. Unfortunately all teams have fans who go beyond the bounds of good taste - it was evident here before and after the Super Bowl when some of my fellow Steeler fans were somewhat less than gracious and some were downright ignorant when there was no cause for it (and in fairness, some of the Seahawk fans performed in a like manner). You can be critical of another team and it's players without being juvenile about and resorting to behavior such as name calling and all the other crap that takes place in the name of so-called intelligent discourse. Fans need to take off their blinders and see that there are in fact other teams and players in the NFL that actually have some positive attributes besides their beloved team.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk