More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: More Fuel to the Bengals-Steelers Fire

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:28 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
jayday wrote:What a slimeball reporter....Anything to sell a paper I guess.....He picks out the fringe area nutcases and represents them as the majority....I'm sure you could find the same amount of crazies on Steelers boards after Carson's injury (not anyone here)....Every team has them....They're lunatics...

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

The ill will toward Roethlisberger and the Steelers was not confined to Cincinnati cyberspace. Message boards from around the NFL were filled with tasteless comments about Roethlisberger and the accident. At The brownsboard.com, a Cleveland Browns fan site, one poster dubbed the quarterback "Ben Toothlessberger" and noted that he is now "right at home with all those Pittsburgh inbreds."
)

Call me sick, call my brain "underdeveloped", but that cracked me up. Not because I like to see him hurt, but it was still funny.

You ever see those FatHead commercials with Chad Johnson, Torry Holt and Big Ben? There's one where Ben gets REALLY close to the camera. When I heard about him smashing into the windshield, I get the close up image in my head...except, I'm the only lady and that face is smashing into the windshild. That makes me giggle like a school girl. :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:48 pm

jayday wrote:Rivalries are relative.....I think OSU/Michigan is the best in all of sports, but if you ask a Miami Hurricane fan, he'll say your crazy and that Miami/FSU is the best, and rightfully so because he has more at stake in that game....

So to say "Oh, no this rivalry is better than that rivalry" is flawed because you have nothing invested in the rivalry to experience it....My two cents...

Bingo! Rivalry needs proximity X time. Success in football is fleeting but rivalries remain, so success is not as much of a factor as some would think. The irrational reaction of the fans (short for fantatical or not rational) is more a response to perceived hating that was done to them over time by the rival fans. I seriously doubt there were more than a few nutbags that wished Ben any harm. I'm surprised Dr Phil..er..Friday didn't realize that. Should have read the fine print when his parents bought him his degree. It's Hippocratic oath, not hypocritic.

This sort of thing happens with all rivalries, albeit on a much smaller level. We all say things that aren't too nice to our rivals, but we don't mean any harm.....cept maybe to DaBears, Pack, and Vikes. But no other....well maybe the Skins.

But I digress. The point is that rivalries are truely in the eye of the beholder. The example cited by jayday can be disputed by most people in Alabama, who may feel Auburn/Bama is the best. They're wrong, but it's what they feel.

And even a Cheesehead should have the right to their own opinion. When they're told what it is, of course. :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:48 am

I don't think the Steelers have ever been the Bengals' biggest rival. It's always been the Browns. Growing up in Ohio as a Bengals fan that was always the big match-up. In fact, the Browns-Steelers rivalry is definitely bigger than any rivalry the Bengals have. The Bengals-Steelers tango is definitely a newer development. In terms of Ben's injury, he's an Ohio guy, a good young player and seems to be a pretty stand-up guy. I hated to see him get hurt, just like I hate to see anybody get hurt. But the irony that he gets hurt after making the comment about not wearing a helmet last year is pretty funny. And the hit on Palmer wasn't intentional.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby BadgerBengal » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:23 am

The problem with the reporters story is that he didnt look at the Steelers or Bengal message boards after Palmer got hurt. Some of the Steeler fans on yahoo are the biggest hypocrites I've every heard(read). When Palmer got hurt they called him Shreaded wheat and weeknee, but if someone posted about Swiss Miss they went berzerk. I dont think any injury should be made fun of but some Steeler fans and writers have a huge double standard about this and everything else with the Steelers I guess.
I hope Swiss Miss can be back for the season so that when the Bengals whoop that ass there can be no excuses.

Hope this can get the rivalry going!
Thanks to WickedSmaat for the Grrreat sig
BadgerBengal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mysticphysh » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:53 pm

"The people who are blogging in Cincinnati, they're the ones whose brains never fully develop,"

That got a chuckle out of me. You hear that Cincy?? Everybody who blogs in Cincy has never fully developed their brain! ;-7

Yeah, its really no big deal. You get this kind of crap all the time with the idiots of the world, whether they're in Cincy or in Pittsburgh or anywhere else. Big Ben will be fine (hopefully), Palmer will be fine (hopefully), CJ will be fine (hopefully) and it'll be another great year battling it out for the AFC North crown! ;-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:48 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:I just don't see how you could rate it so low. It's at least 3rd IMO, behind Skins/Boys and Bears/Packers

Here's the thing... One year does not a rivalry make... The Steelers have been for the most part a very good ball club for going on 20 years now... Cincinnati, on the other hand, has pretty much sucked since the got beat by the Niners in the big game in the 80's...

Watching the Steelers kick the Bengals' teeth in for 20 years is not entirely erased by 2 good games last year...

Give it a decade, and then let's talk...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jh2031 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:55 pm

I think the Ravens and Steelers rivalry is very heated. I will always put that ahead of any Bengals/Steelers rivalry. I think that's mainly because Baltimore is the old Cleveland. And Plindsey, your avatar and sig freak me out.
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:13 pm

jh2031 wrote:I think the Ravens and Steelers rivalry is very heated. I will always put that ahead of any Bengals/Steelers rivalry. I think that's mainly because Baltimore is the old Cleveland.

For now, yes that is the best rivalry, the reason being that it has been the most competitive. When was the last time the Ravens or Steelers swept the other? answer: 2002, when the steelers swept the ravens, and even then they barely beat the ravens in the season finale 34-31. it should be even better this year with mcnair giving the ravens a less-than-crappy qb. i think that the bengals rivalry will eventually become just as good b/c they are going to become very competitive as well, but the ravens-steelers rivalry will always be the best steelers rivalry.

And Plindsey, your avatar and sig freak me out

lol, i agree. now im not so sure i want to ever be a mod... :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:34 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:

Is that a mod thing, or a league thing? Either way, very creepy.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:41 pm

moochman wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:

Is that a mod thing, or a league thing? Either way, very creepy.

its hazing; theyre rookies on the mod team :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk