Anyone else thinking WR/WR this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Anyone else thinking WR/WR this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JGarrison » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:46 pm

Well I did it for fun and here is how my team stacked out. I picked 12 out of 14 teams, not too happy but I'm pretty good with the WW so I guess we will see:)

QB D. Bledsoe
WR S. Smith
WR M. Harrison
RB K. Jones
RB C. Taylor
TE K. Winslow
W/R F. Taylor
K J. Kasay
DEF Miami

BN T. Glenn(Dal - WR)
BN D. Brees(NO - QB)
BN A. Bryant(SF - WR)
JGarrison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 441
Joined: 4 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:14 pm

I'm very much debating this strategy in my money league that drafts next week (I pick last of 12). It will be the first year as a keeper, so it would potentially mean that my keeper is a WR, but that would be all right.

However, I'm guessing someone will take Manning (they always do) so I'll have one of the top 11 RBs fall to me and then will be able to snag probably my choice of WRs. And I know I won't be able to pass up the RB if he's there...

We'll see how it shakes out. :-)
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 853
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On the dark side

Postby FatFoot » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Well, I didn't have the guts to follow through with it, since I ended up with 6th lottery spot and decided to pick 6th overall with it. So I ended up with Tiki... but then (and I'm not drafting with idiots... cept me, for what I let happen on QB) 2nd round, Chad Johnson, 3rd round Randy Moss, and 4th round, TO. I don't know what this does to the theory, because that's kind of similar to what one might expect to go with for a WR/WR starting pick... and if you can have that PLUS Tiki that's a lot better than having something like that plus say Kevin Jones or Jamal. Both of whom I also got. :)

At least in my league, it doesn't seem like there would have been ANY upside in going WR WR unless you were picking 10th. Even there... I think I'd have to question it, the way my draft went.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3259
Joined: 28 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In the Belly of the Beast

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:10 pm

FatFoot wrote:(and I'm not drafting with idiots


I call BS....

FatFoot wrote: 2nd round, Chad Johnson, 3rd round Randy Moss, and 4th round, TO.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby Kilroy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
FatFoot wrote:(and I'm not drafting with idiots


I call BS....

FatFoot wrote: 2nd round, Chad Johnson, 3rd round Randy Moss, and 4th round, TO.


If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and swims like a duck, and drafts like a duck...

:-D
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:46 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
FatFoot wrote:(and I'm not drafting with idiots


I call BS....

FatFoot wrote: 2nd round, Chad Johnson, 3rd round Randy Moss, and 4th round, TO.


If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and swims like a duck, and drafts like a duck...

:-D


He forgot to mention that he draft Peyton in the 7th.

You could get KJ and Lewis in moderately competitive leagues that drafted early, but this time of year the savy drafters aren't letting starting RBs slide.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby BCGrindrod » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:37 pm

I just finished my draft in the H2HSB Atlantic Region League (ID# 228148) and went with the WR/WR theory because I was drafting 9th out of 14 teams.

A couple of discrepencies because there was a BYE week dummy team created and a few of the other GMs did not show up. I decided to go with Holt instead of Westbrook, Cadillac & Jordan who usually end up being drafted in the first round in standard 10 to 12 team leagues.

This is the end result;


1. (9) T. Holt WR
2. (20) A. Boldin WR
3. (37) J. Horn WR
4. (48) C. Taylor RB
5. (65) C. Dillon RB
6. (76) T. Jones RB
7. (93) C. Benson RB
8. (104) M. Barber RB
9. (121) J. Jurevicius WR
10. (132) Mi. Vick QB
11. (149) E. Wilford WR
12. (160) J. Kitna QB
13. (177) Atlanta DEF
14. (188) V. Davis TE
15. (205) J. Scobee K

Although I do not have the above mentioned RBs on my roster, I still feel quite confident in my RB corps and with that awesome trio of WRs is going to be the game breakers week after week.
Image
BCGrindrod
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 733
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making my opponent's lives miserable

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:33 pm

Chester and Dillon fell to 48 and 65 overall? Wow..
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:12 pm

okay, so I'm considering the WR/WR strategy for myself this year. I'm in a ten team redraft, points per reception league. I'm new to the football cafe, although i tried this strategy last year, getting Moss/Owens didn't work out too well for me, and i didn't understand the total strategy of going RB heavy afterwards. Now that I see it, it seems like it could work. However, i have two problems that my make it impossible this year. My first problem is that our draft is online auto, per yahoo. This means that Yahool will select my starting roster for the first 9 rounds, and then will fill my bench, thus, i won't be able to go RB-heavy in the middle (of course, no one else will be able to either). My 2nd problem is that i have the #6 pick. Honestly, the concensus top RBs outside the top 3 don't impress me, and seem to have inherent risks (Tiki gets vultured, Portis with the injury, SJax with some injury issues, Edge in Arizona, Jordan not catching alot of passes in preseason, etc.). I'd like to try the WR/WR, but with the weight of the 6th pick, plus the autodraft issue, i wonder if it's worth it to attempt? Any opinions?
shasty mcnasty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 116
Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby onnestabe » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:15 pm

shasty mcnasty wrote:okay, so I'm considering the WR/WR strategy for myself this year. I'm in a ten team redraft, points per reception league. I'm new to the football cafe, although i tried this strategy last year, getting Moss/Owens didn't work out too well for me, and i didn't understand the total strategy of going RB heavy afterwards. Now that I see it, it seems like it could work. However, i have two problems that my make it impossible this year. My first problem is that our draft is online auto, per yahoo. This means that Yahool will select my starting roster for the first 9 rounds, and then will fill my bench, thus, i won't be able to go RB-heavy in the middle (of course, no one else will be able to either). My 2nd problem is that i have the #6 pick. Honestly, the concensus top RBs outside the top 3 don't impress me, and seem to have inherent risks (Tiki gets vultured, Portis with the injury, SJax with some injury issues, Edge in Arizona, Jordan not catching alot of passes in preseason, etc.). I'd like to try the WR/WR, but with the weight of the 6th pick, plus the autodraft issue, i wonder if it's worth it to attempt? Any opinions?


I think under those conditions it would be wrong to go WR/WR. You have to be able to go RB-heavy after round 2 to have a chance of this working, and you have to do a good job of finding value in the late rounds as well. Auto-pick is not going to allow you to find that value.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 4074
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cincinnati - West Price Hill

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 15:08 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact