Anyone else thinking WR/WR this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone else thinking WR/WR this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:32 pm

Well I picked 12th (and last) in the first round in my money league with some work guys last night, and went WR/WR. Smith was gone, and I passed on Portis with all the uncertainty there, and maybe I just should have taken him... But anyway, the results of my draft are:

1. (12) Fitz
2. (13) CJ
3. (36) KJones
4. (37) Droughns
5. (60) TJones
6. (61) Driver
7. (84) AGreen
8. (85) Brees
9. (108) Barber
10. (109) HMiller
11. (132) Kitna
12. (133) Mark Clayton
13. (156) Baltimore D
14. (157) Josh Brown
15. (180) Wilford

There were some bizarre runs throughout the draft that screwed me up a bit. A bunch of top QBs went early (second/third), a bunch of my mid-ranked QBs went in the fourth thru seventh rounds, and a bunch of RBs went earlier than I'd seen so far... Dillon, Foster, Addai, Maroney, both Taylors were all of the board earlier than I'd anticipated.

I still feel like I have a pretty solid group of RBs, and the best WR trio in the league. We'll see how it pans out.
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:58 pm

With the recent happenings in the landscape of FF i dont think that the WR/WR strategy is a viable option in competive leagues.

3 of the top reciever no longer are sure bets. this draft strategy was predicated on the basis that you should take top recievers because they are much more reliable than the RBs left. Smith and Holt have lingering hammy injuries as does TO not to mention his relationship with the coaching staff.

Another important part of the strategy was that you needed to have backs like Chester Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Kevin Jones, etc. fall to you. This just doesnt happen in leagues with knowledgeable owners. Ive done 3 12 team leagues now with late round picks and there are no decent RBs left in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

This strategy looked good while doing mocks but its a whole different ballgame when trying it in a real draft.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:27 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:With the recent happenings in the landscape of FF i dont think that the WR/WR strategy is a viable option in competive leagues.

3 of the top reciever no longer are sure bets. this draft strategy was predicated on the basis that you should take top recievers because they are much more reliable than the RBs left. Smith and Holt have lingering hammy injuries as does TO not to mention his relationship with the coaching staff.

Another important part of the strategy was that you needed to have backs like Chester Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Kevin Jones, etc. fall to you. This just doesnt happen in leagues with knowledgeable owners. Ive done 3 12 team leagues now with late round picks and there are no decent RBs left in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

This strategy looked good while doing mocks but its a whole different ballgame when trying it in a real draft.

Here are some RB draft positions pulled from a live expert draft on another fantasy site. 12 team league.

Brian Westbrook 3.02
Chestor Taylor 3.04
Reggie Bush 3.05
Warrick Dunn 3.06
Reuben Droughns 3.10
Jamal Lewis 3.12
Mike Bell 4.03
Julius Jones 4.07
Deshaun Foster 4.08
Thomas Jones 5.01
Frank Gore 5.06
Dominic Rhodes 5.08
Tatum Bell 5.10
Corey Dillon 5.11
Fred Taylor 6.01
Ahman Green 6.02
Joseph Addai 6.04
Laurence Maroney 6.05
Cedric Benson 6.12
Wali Lundy 7.04
Marion Barber 7.05
Kevan Barlow 7.07
Deangelo Williams 8.01
Domanic Davis 8.06
Chris Brown 8.11
Lendale White 8.12

Jamal Lewis with the last pick in the 3rd round? You choice of Mike Bell, Deshaun Foster, or Julius Jones in the 4th? Corey Dillon, Fred Taylor, and Ahman Green all going somewhere in the late 5th, early 6th?

1.10- Steve Smith
2.03- Larry Fitzgerald
3.10- Jamal Lewis
4.03- Deshaun Foster
5.10- Fred Taylor
6.03- Laurence Maroney
7.10- Denangelo Williams
8,9,10 = QB, TE, WR3

Far fetched?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JGarrison » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:54 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:With the recent happenings in the landscape of FF i dont think that the WR/WR strategy is a viable option in competive leagues.

I disagree. Here is my starting team going WR/WR and I think it went fairly decent. And this was with a 14 team draft. This is a money league as well, so the owners are really on top of things, not just some random draft.

QB D. Bledsoe
WR S. Smith
WR M. Harrison
RB K. Jones
RB C. Taylor
TE K. Winslow
W/R F. Taylor
K J. Kasay

BN A. Bryant(SF - WR)
BN V. Morency(Hou - RB)
BN W. Lundy(Hou - RB)
BN M. Jones-Drew(Jac - RB)
JGarrison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby c2xistjz » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Jamal Lewis with the last pick in the 3rd round? You choice of Mike Bell, Deshaun Foster, or Julius Jones in the 4th? Corey Dillon, Fred Taylor, and Ahman Green all going somewhere in the late 5th, early 6th?

1.10- Steve Smith
2.03- Larry Fitzgerald
3.10- Jamal Lewis
4.03- Deshaun Foster
5.10- Fred Taylor
6.03- Laurence Maroney
7.10- Denangelo Williams
8,9,10 = QB, TE, WR3

Far fetched?

Not far-fetched at all. Pretty similar to my draft actually:

12th pick, 14-team Money league with knowledgeable owners (everyone present for the draft). ALSO, PPR league.

1.12 - Holt
2.03 - Owens (prior to all the media crap)
3.12 - J. Lewis
4.03 - D. Foster
5.12 - Crumpler
6.03 - T. Jones
7.12 - J. Plummer
8.03 - Matt Jones (huge value here IMO)
9.12 - E. Moulds (again, huge value for PPR)
10.03 - G. Jones (ugh, dropped for Lundy)
11.12 - Kitna
12.03 - Washington
13.12 - J. Reed
14.03 - T. Taylor

All in all, I think I ended up with a pretty solid team. Missed out on DeAngelo Williams but I'll try to acquire him anyway.
c2xistjz
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:14 pm

In the two drafts that i have done (one where i actually experimented with WR/WR) there were no backs that i felt even remotely comfortable with. I was left with DeShaun Foster and Cedric Benson. Yuck.

Maybe it can work it some leagues it just doesnt work in the leagues that i have participated in the last few weeks. Im staying away from WR/WR.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:59 pm

Completely disagree with this strategy. With a later pick in the draft you'll end up with a Lewis/K. Jones/Taylor as your #1 back. That's a scary thought. First off the drop off from the top tier backs is enourmous. Second there are so many recievers that you could snag in rounds 3-6 that could have beast years. Besides with a late pick (10-12) you could take a top back and a wr. Then on your next 2 picks you could get Taylor or Lewis as a #2 and then probably Driver, Plax, Moss or Roy Williams as a #2 reciever coming back. That just seems like a much more sound team.
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby fatnub2339 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:43 pm

got a live draft tomorrow at the 12th spot out of 12teams.. I am definitely going to try this.. first 4 rounds of:

Steve Smith
Chad Johnson
Jamal Lewis
Droughns/Thomas Jones

wouldn't be that far-fetched. Clearly, I need some picks to fall my way but I think it's a good idea
fatnub2339
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:04 pm

I think it's MUCH tougher in a 12 team league than in a 10 team league, as there's greater positional scarcity for RBs, and you can't even be assured of getting 2 (predicted) top 5 WRs.

That being said, I did get CJ in round 2, and Moss in round 3. TO in 4 is something one can't count on. Jamal and KJ were still around in 5 and 6. Benson was hanging around WAY late, but we drafted just after the whole "leaving the sideline" thing.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby clmor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:17 am

I didn't chime in on this early on because I *think* I had quite a bit to say about this last year when it was discussed -- and, I followed through with WR/WR. Plus, in two pretty high entry $$, I had the 10 out of 12 pick and the 9 out of 10 pick so I was already thinking about this heavily.

I think the two BIGGEST things on this are:

1. Starting requirements -- i.e. are you doing 2 RBs/3 WR's or 2RBs/2WRs/1 FLEX. If you are doing a flex league -- ESPECIALLY in a 12 man -- it is going to prove difficult.

2. How man teams -- obviously, the less teams the easier it is for people to fall in certain positions.

Scoring system and knowledge of what other team owners typically do is important too. If you are doing a 10 buck entry or a freebie on Yahoo, you typically see some more random picks/reaches/falling players -- not always, but typically. I know there are PLENTY of competitive free leagues.
clmor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk