my wr rankings as of 06/18/06...gut feelings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

my wr rankings as of 06/18/06...gut feelings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steals

Postby FFCoppola » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:19 pm

I sort of agree about Koren Robinson, but Brad Johnson is 38 and I'll believe in his abilities over a full season when I see them. To be honest, I'm more impressed by the potential of Evans, Kennison, and Keenan McCardell as sleepers.

I -strongly- disagree with anyone who puts Fitz meaningfully above Boldin, regardless of what tier they are at, and I don't think any 2 WR's on the same team belong in tier one, full stop. Aren't enough TD's to go around.

I agree about Wayne, one of these years he is going to be #1 overall - the year Harrison loses a step. Maybe this year, maybe next, but soon, and for the rest of his football-playing life.
"Flowers on the Razor Wire."
FFCoppola Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:32 pm

onnestabe wrote:Nice rankings - Here are my thoughts...

I think tier 1 consists of 5 players - Smith, TO, Holt, Harrison, and Chad Johnson. I think that Edge and Warner will join forces to keep Fitz and Boldin from being that good this year. One of them needs to have a bad year for the other to have a good year. Same story for Wayne, I just don't think he will get the TDs this time. Chambers has the best chance to break out and jump up to the top tier, but too much depends on Culpepper coming back from injury and being good again. Randy Moss will be either really good or really bad. To be clear, I like where you have them in the rankings, but I think there is a big gap between the top 5 and Fitz, Boldin, Wayne, Chambers, and Moss.

After that, I think Kennison is too low, Santana Moss is too high for my tastes (but I understand why he is ranked there, and I think that is where he will go in most drafts), and Reggie Brown is too low - he has a ton of talent in a pass oriented offense (LJ Smith and Westy can't catch every pass).

Look at what QBs Chambers had to work with last year. He has nowhere to go but up with C-Pepp at the helm. I don't think Moss will be "really bad." Maybe really bad compared to where he's being drafted, but a horrible year for Moss is still 1,000 yards and 8 TD's, and we all know he's capable of 1,600 and 16 TD's if he's healthy.

I agree with the Boldin/Fitz thing. One of them's got to lose and I bet it's Boldin.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Steals

Postby biju » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:23 pm

FFCoppola wrote:I sort of agree about Koren Robinson, but Brad Johnson is 38 and I'll believe in his abilities over a full season when I see them. To be honest, I'm more impressed by the potential of Evans, Kennison, and Keenan McCardell as sleepers.

I can certainly agree with being worried about Brad Johnson, but I personally would rather have the old guy throwing the ball instead of the one trying to get away from some 23 year old CB. McCardell and Kennison have to be in the top 5 of oldest WRs in the league and are both on run heavy offenses.

I would also like Evans a ton more if he didn't have the wonder twins (Holcomb/Losman) trying to get him the ball. Maybe Craig Nall will step up...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:24 pm

biggame, you said that drafting a number is a headache, or implied it, but so far, in many mocks, and from what I'm seeing, probably in my actual drafts, I shouldn't have any problem getting a number 2, and it may even be the same guy each time, Plaxico Burress, I draft him in the 4th round as my 2nd WR, He's a stud, had a good year last year, this year probably even better, I think some people are overlooking that guy, but if you get a shot at him as your number 2, I'd say take it, also, some guys...even though may be a little risky can fill the bill, Javon Walker, Joe Horn, guys like that.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:56 am

bagobonez wrote:
onnestabe wrote:Nice rankings - Here are my thoughts...

I think tier 1 consists of 5 players - Smith, TO, Holt, Harrison, and Chad Johnson. I think that Edge and Warner will join forces to keep Fitz and Boldin from being that good this year. One of them needs to have a bad year for the other to have a good year. Same story for Wayne, I just don't think he will get the TDs this time. Chambers has the best chance to break out and jump up to the top tier, but too much depends on Culpepper coming back from injury and being good again. Randy Moss will be either really good or really bad. To be clear, I like where you have them in the rankings, but I think there is a big gap between the top 5 and Fitz, Boldin, Wayne, Chambers, and Moss.

After that, I think Kennison is too low, Santana Moss is too high for my tastes (but I understand why he is ranked there, and I think that is where he will go in most drafts), and Reggie Brown is too low - he has a ton of talent in a pass oriented offense (LJ Smith and Westy can't catch every pass).

Look at what QBs Chambers had to work with last year. He has nowhere to go but up with C-Pepp at the helm. I don't think Moss will be "really bad." Maybe really bad compared to where he's being drafted, but a horrible year for Moss is still 1,000 yards and 8 TD's, and we all know he's capable of 1,600 and 16 TD's if he's healthy.

I agree with the Boldin/Fitz thing. One of them's got to lose and I bet it's Boldin.

When he was healthy last year, CPep wasn't really much better than Frerotte. And I think that Chambers will have a big year, but Culpepper is the main concern.

If Randy Moss is healthy all year, he will have a big year. He has too much talent, and Brooks is too good at throwing the deep ball (that's all he's good at) for him not to have a good year. I worry about the "if healthy" part. He has been hurt the last two years, and I think that his lack of bulk may have caught up with him. That injury risk takes him out of the top tier for me.

I think that even in Fitz wins, Boldin will take enough looks away to drop Fitz well into the second tier.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby louisianacajunsam » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:15 am

how quickly you all forget how good boldin and fitz were last season...i guess thats what the offseason does...

people begin to forget how scary they were last season, and then the underating begins...

theres no reason they should have huge drop offs this season...well, unless warner goes down....but its not like mccown was so much better than leinhart will be...so yea, same production or close in my opinion
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:41 am

louisianacajunsam wrote:how quickly you all forget how good boldin and fitz were last season...i guess thats what the offseason does...

people begin to forget how scary they were last season, and then the underating begins...

theres no reason they should have huge drop offs this season...well, unless warner goes down....but its not like mccown was so much better than leinhart will be...so yea, same production or close in my opinion

There's plenty of reasons...

You already mentioned the Warner thing, and I would much rather have McCown as the backup than Leinart (apparently the Lions agree with me). If (when?) Warner goes down, Edge will be the only Cardinal worth owning, and his production will go way down.

Also, how many touches will Edge get? Fitz and Boldin were great last year because they would both have 10+ catches per game. They got those looks because they could not run the ball. Now they have a pro bowler at RB that is going to call for the ball every chance he gets, and I think Denny Green is going to give it to him.

It is rare for two receivers from the same team to have significant fantasy value, and that only happens when they are operating in a high-powered, pass-happy offense. Holt/Bruce, Harrison/Wayne, Walker/Driver, CJ/Housh, etc. I don't think it is unreasonable for people to wonder if the Cardinals can field a high-powered offense, considering Warner's age and the poor quality of the O-line.

I don't think anyone is forgetting how good they were last year, they are just questioning the ability to repeat it. Can't fault anyone for thinking that two Cardinals receivers in the top 10 with Kurt Warner at QB is a little fluky...
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Deathlok2001 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:33 am

OMG! boldin is not in your top 5!

And I LOL when peeps say that the cards O-line is shaky. If this is true, then where is the proof? Why does everyone take edge in the 1st round?

why? I think you nay sayers are full of something!!!!
Deathlok2001
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby louisianacajunsam » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:18 am

whats funny is you are criticizing me for not having boldin in my top five but i've had most others criticize for having him and fitz in my top nine....

i didnt forget what they did last season, and do think they will both put up over 80 catches, over lets say 1150 yards, and over 8 touchdowns...those to me are minimums....and warrant top 10 rankings (being that i believe these are minimum numbers potentially, whereas, either could get over 100 catches and 1500 yards and 10 touchdowns).....
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Deathlok2001 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Yes I do. Cards will win 10 game min & take the division.
Deathlok2001
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk