Solidify RB/WR or take top QB/TE/K/DEF - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Solidify RB/WR or take top QB/TE/K/DEF

Moderator: Football Moderators

Solidify RB/WR or take top QB/TE/K/DEF

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:46 pm

Is it better to take RB's and WR's early to fill up starting spots, and even one bench spot, or would it be a better strategy to try to grab sleeper RB's and WR's while taking the top QB's, TE's, K's, and DEF's early.

For example, if I have a late 1st round pick, lets say the last one, would I be better off taking two running backs, one running back + one wide out, or should i try to take just one RB or one WR in addition to one of the top QB's in the game. Then, if I go with the third option, should I try to grab with the 3.12 and 4.01 a top TE such as Gates, Shockey, or Gonzo in addition to just one WR or RB, or would I be better off taking two RB's or a WR + a RB

Later on in the draft, if I choose to take the top TE's and QB's, would I be better off taking an extra RB and extra WR for my bench, or should I try to take the top K/DEF such as Rackers and Chicagp D/ST.

Please give me your thoughts on this, and should my strategy change in a dynasty versus a keeper or a redraft?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Seriously, someone dig up the old Free Bagel vs. KG arguement on this subject. Every single base was covered.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowride » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:21 pm

I highly doubt Gates will make it to 3.12
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Top fantasy kickers/DSTs change from year to year, and even week to week. For those 2 positions, a lot comes down to matchups. Last year, I probably picked up and started ARI DST 2-3 times when they played teams such as SF, and it worked like a charm. Its all in the matchup, so for that, never take DST/K until the VERY last rounds. Build your depth, which is much more important.

For the other question, the only QB worth taking early (rounds 1-4) IMO is Peyton. Other than that, take RB/WR early. If you have picks 1.12 though, get at least one dependable, consistent back and either a RB with some risk (Cadillac, Ronnie Brown) or a consistent WR (SSmith, Chad, TO). Also, Id wait a little with the TEs this year because the top TE (Gates) has a new QB and there are a lot of sleepers that you can grab later in the draft. Hope this helps.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:52 pm

I'm in the process of several drafts so far. Dynasty drafts keep in mind:

In one I went 4 RBs and 3 WRs in the first 7 rounds. I still got Brees and Leftwich at QB, with LJ Smith at TE. My 3rd & 4th RBs are C Taylor and Benson. My 3rd and 4th WRs are Braylon Edwards and Antonio Bryant.

In the league where I went after other positions earlier, I got McNabb at QB and Heap at TE. By 3rd and 4th RBs are Frank Gore and C Perry, and my 3rd & 4th WRs are David Givens and Keyshawn Johnson.

To me, the drop off isn't enough in QB and TE to make up for the lacking depth at RB and WR. I like my 1st team much better so far. While I think in a dynasty both Gates and Shockey are worth consideration where they're going, if you don't get either of those, wait on TE, and QBs unless you go top shelf (Manning or Palmer) aren't worth picking up until rounds 8-10.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby amishrakefight » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:00 pm

i like to draft with one eye on the other owners. as you draft you will see rbs and wrs and top qb, te's go, but as guys are drafting there back up postions you should be one of the first to make your move.

If you start a position run, like def, kicker or TE, you will get the best of all 3 because everyone else is scrambling to get theres before they are gone.

It all boils down to timing. just watch the backups going off the board. i try and watch when the backups arent worth the top supporting cast. Rbs will be gone early and there is a ton of depth in wr and qb this year so wait until rbs are gone and 3rd and 4th tier wrs are going then strike. those runs go quick and its good to be on the front end.

for example i just drafted in a keeper, we keep 5 and in the draft it was the 5th (10rd overall) and took chi def, then followd up with vanderjegt. didnt draft a te until the last pick but i got to choose from LJ smith and K winslow.

timing is everything. just dont pull the trigger to early and miss out on really good young rbs and wrs.
amishrakefight
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk