Germany or Florida 6/19/06 - ANSWERED - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Germany or Florida 6/19/06 - ANSWERED

Moderator: Football Moderators

Where did the man get stuck in the elevator IN A HOSPITAL for three days?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 am

Germany
42%
Florida
58%

Total votes : 12

Germany or Florida 6/19/06 - ANSWERED

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:57 am

The Official Germany or Florida Theme Song:
Things are sick and twisted
From too much sun and Nazis
Sex, meth, and death fetishes
Both of them have got these
Guaranteed not to bore ya
German-yyy or Florida

Other GoF Themes

And now, on to our show...

SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD (Reuters) - A retiree and former elevator repair man had to survive on just a packet of crackers while he was stuck in a broken hospital elevator for three days.

The man, who had turned up for a routine appointment at a local hospital, slipped out of his wheelchair during the 80-hour ordeal in which he repeatedly pushed the elevator's alarm button without anyone hearing his call for help.

"I was lying on the floor and the elevator went up and down for a bit. I pushed the alarm button several times, but nothing happened," the man was quoted as saying. "I thought to myself, ‘That's it. You're on your own now'."

The victim, who appeared on television looking pale and weak, was finally discovered Monday after a nurse reported the broken elevator. His son had launched a hunt for his father but rescue workers after scouring the hospital grounds had concentrated efforts on dredging a nearby waterway.

This was a hospital. He pushed the freakin' alarm button. Man, I hope I'm never in a hospital that negligent! 8-o
Last edited by knapplc on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:02 am

gotta be Florida.

1) he's old
2) bad healthcare
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:53 am

I too also went with Florida. My wife is an RN and I know why they wouldn't hear the alarm ;-7 I always tell her all they do is sit around and read magazines and swap recipes
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm going Germany. Don't know why...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:09 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm going Germany. Don't know why...

same here
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:18 pm

I'm thinking Florida because Americans are fat.

I think the average American has a much better chance of going 3 days without food than the average European does.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 pm

The Facts:

The man was not accompanied by anyone in the elevator. How did he arrive at the hospital? He must have drove (as it said it was a routine check-up). Doubtful that a family member would just drop him off and leave for a quick appointment... especially if he was normally in a wheelchair (which he isn't).

Hypothesis: He drove and was issued a wheelchair by the hospital. The hospital staff then left him to manuever the hospital on his own. Not in the US system... way too much liabilty.

Other Factors:
Also, routine check-ups are more common in private practices in the US. Germany has National Healthcare... which leads me to believe more centralization of services (thus using hospitals for routine check-ups).

Along the same lines of centralization... the US hospitals that do have some private/specialty clinics are usually in a smaller wing that has only 1 or 2 elevators. The elevators would be sorely missed and noticed/repaired right away.

Final issue, I believe the Fire Marhsall/Department is called, in the US, when an elevator is stuck... I believe that it's standard local law/code.

Odds are this is Germany based on the information.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:33 pm

Jimboozie wrote:I'm thinking Florida because Americans are fat.

I think the average American has a much better chance of going 3 days without food than the average European does.

You can easily go a month without food... water, about 4 days.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:The Facts:

The man was not accompanied by anyone in the elevator. How did he arrive at the hospital? He must have drove (as it said it was a routine check-up). Doubtful that a family member would just drop him off and leave for a quick appointment... especially if he was normally in a wheelchair (which he isn't).

Hypothesis: He drove and was issued a wheelchair by the hospital. The hospital staff then left him to manuever the hospital on his own. Not in the US system... way too much liabilty.

Other Factors:
Also, routine check-ups are more common in private practices in the US. Germany has National Healthcare... which leads me to believe more centralization of services (thus using hospitals for routine check-ups).

Along the same lines of centralization... the US hospitals that do have some private/specialty clinics are usually in a smaller wing that has only 1 or 2 elevators. The elevators would be sorely missed and noticed/repaired right away.

Final issue, I believe the Fire Marhsall/Department is called, in the US, when an elevator is stuck... I believe that it's standard local law/code.

Odds are this is Germany based on the information.

Wow - that's quite the investigative work you've done there! You may be on to something....
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:04 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:I'm thinking Florida because Americans are fat.

You can easily go a month without food... water, about 4 days.

I'm not saying they would have died. What I meant was that so many Americans are so fat that they could go 3 days without food and still be very obese.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk