My birthday is coming up... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My birthday is coming up...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:03 pm

A2theIzzo wrote:Ive never heard of this sport. looks pretty fun.

I dont think ive ever seen a course here in the Los angeles area. Or can you just play at any golf course?

no you can't play at a golf course. they are their own course. it's usually a city park. a hole is only 300 feet or so. and the "hole" is a large basket with chains. i'm sure there are some in LA. there has to be.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dirt Bag » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:07 pm

A2theIzzo wrote:Ive never heard of this sport. looks pretty fun.

I dont think ive ever seen a course here in the Los angeles area. Or can you just play at any golf course?

It's not played on regular golf courses. You don't throw it into a hole. Your throwing it into a raised metal basket with chains inside to stop it.

I'm still waiting on an answer on how you throw knapp ;-D
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:07 pm

moonhead wrote:
knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:i have a u2 #2 upshot i use for my midrange. it's one of the best discs i've ever owned. driver = prostyle flydye d1. and i have some super soft putter, i can't remember who made it. those are my three mainstays.

I did not know you frolfed. I thought you were only into balls and clubs.

;-D

did you forget that i was a grass smoking hippie nutjob? we don't call it frolfing, here. it's just disc golf. nebraskans. :-°
Frolf or Disc Golf is the tits. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:23 pm

moonhead wrote:
knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:i have a u2 #2 upshot i use for my midrange. it's one of the best discs i've ever owned. driver = prostyle flydye d1. and i have some super soft putter, i can't remember who made it. those are my three mainstays.

I did not know you frolfed. I thought you were only into balls and clubs.

;-D

did you forget that i was a grass smoking hippie nutjob? we don't call it frolfing, here. it's just disc golf. nebraskans. :-°

Frolf is a Seinfeld quote. I call it Disc Golf too. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:35 pm

Dirt Bag wrote:Hey knapp. What do you do for your approach as your going to throw. I havent perfected anything yet so I try a variety of things: no running start/full body wind up works pretty well, normal running start is good, backward running start 180 turn and throw thing is something i have never really tried much but I have seen people own with that.

I missed this post earlier - sorry for not answering. :-°

I typically drive between 250 and 350 feet, so I don't have to get too wound up on my approach shots. On long holes when i'm still 200+ feet out I'll treat it just like a drive but with only a three- to five-step approach to the toss. I don't throw at 180 unless I'm trying to anhyser (which I suck at). So if I have a 200-foot or more approach I'll do my approach and a full torso twist very much like a drive.

When I'm less than 50 feet from the basket I just throw from the shoulder, and at that point I'll line up at about a 45 degree angle from the basket (45 to the left since I'm a righty) and follow through, but with a pretty casual motion. Those throws are all from the shoulder, with very little torso twist for distance. I'm 6'3" and I can put a lot of momentum behind a throw, so I don't have to really wind up like some of the slimmer guys.

What do you use for your approach shots? I almost exclusively use my Viper, since I know it's going to hyzer for me and I can gauge pretty well what I'm going to get out of the distance/wind with it. On a second shot where you're not gunning for the basket and you just want to put it within easy reach of a putt it's best to have a "no surprises" disc, and that's how I see the Viper.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dirt Bag » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:58 am

I use my XL for long drives Image

Not sure how common the disc is but it works really well for me. It's a different kind of plastic than the Viper. More rubbery. I actually havent tried using my Viper for drives in awhile.
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:19 am

Dirt Bag wrote:I use my XL for long drives Image

Not sure how common the disc is but it works really well for me. It's a different kind of plastic than the Viper. More rubbery. I actually havent tried using my Viper for drives in awhile.

I had an XL - it wasn't bad, but I sheared it in half when I plunked a tree dead on. We have a hole where the tee box is directly between two huge cottonwoods, with a 35-40 oak about 30 feet right in front. I meant to swing way around the cottonwood on the left, but I missed. I missed badly. :-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dirt Bag » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:25 am

knapplc wrote:
Dirt Bag wrote:I use my XL for long drives Image

I had an XL - it wasn't bad, but I sheared it in half when I plunked a tree dead on. We have a hole where the tee box is directly between two huge cottonwoods, with a 35-40 oak about 30 feet right in front. I meant to swing way around the cottonwood on the left, but I missed. I missed badly. :-o

Hah. I've broken one disc. It was back when i had only been playing for a few weeks. I smacked a good size tree about 10-15 feet from the tee. It was horrible. It cracked about 1\3 the way through the disc. Well my old, old putter is extremely banged up from the chains. I got a new one not to long ago. But i still use the old one for close putts.
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tiki » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:27 pm

I cracked my favorite disc on one of the crazy holes at the local course. You start from within the woods and you have curve the disc up first and to the right. I curved it to much and it jacked a big ass tree. End of that disc. !+)
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dirt Bag » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:42 pm

Alright knapp and you Disc Golf dudes. I need some help picking out discs for b-day.

I want a long range and a putting/approach disc.

I picked out the Archangel - has a small diamater and light, all my current drivers are heavy.

For the putt/approach I found one called the Aero - It looked solid. Putting discs arent a big deal. It was supposed to be fine. I'm more concerned about the driver.

Let me know what you think of these two discs, their both Innova, or if you know of a better light driver. I showed these two to my mom at Walmart today and so if I don't say anything otherwise these are the two i will likely be getting.
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk