grats on the hall ;-D
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:12 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Though I could never accomplish a post the quality (or size) of The Cuna, I’m going to do my own version of a Hall of Fame acceptance speech. Since it will possibly be bland and boring, I forgive you if you pass this up in favor of giving me your couple-word congratulations. I appreciate your congrats all the same. ;-D

Let me start my clearing some things up. Just because no one has asked doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to be addressed. :-B

Why am I a Cowboys fan? I think it has been blatantly said many times that I am a California boy through and through … love my state, and HATE TEXAS. GRRRRR! In all actuality, it wasn’t my fault. I was raised by a Texan mother. My Dad (divorced, but I still see him) is Texan as well. And since my brother never showed too much interest in sports (though ironically he does now … and is a Colts fan … hmmm), my parents made it their mission to have me bleed Silver and Blue. And I do. Instead of researching lions and grizzly bears in grade school, my research projects were on members of the Cowboys. My earliest book report, I did on a biography of Troy Aikman. For one of my first Halloweens, I was Emmitt Smith. I was a Cowboy through and through. Oh, don’t get me wrong … I like San Diego, and the Chargers. But I was raised as a Dallas sports fan. I love the Mavericks. I like the Rangers (though I honestly love the Dodgers more … another tale of treachery for another day). If I gave a crap about hockey, I’d love the Stars too … I watch them on TV when they’re on. So that explains that. I sadly will be making my trek back to my “native” (hint for the slow: I’m not native to Texas. My family just likes to pretend I am to hide the shame) Texas this summer for a week. It’s not all bad though … I love the southern BBQ, TexMex (Joe T. Garcia’s in Fort Worth is incredible), Blue Bell ice cream, Whataburger, awesome waterskiing, and the southern belles. ;-D I just hate leaving California, the heat in TX, not working (I’m poor), the close-mindedness of my grandparents, and not being able to get drunk for a week. :-t

When I joined the Café back in September of 2004 (God damn … 5 thousand in under two years?), I took this as my home away from home. I’ve never been a dedicated member of the Start/Sit forums or the Roster Ratings. I love fantasy football as much as the next freak, but I’m not about asking for help. I run my teams into the ground on my OWN, thank you. I may not win many leagues (usually make the playoffs though), but at least I know it was my work that got me there. And yes, I may take a peek at some “who’s hot, who’s not” pages at FF sites occasionally … but the decision is mine, Damn it! :-b Most of the time, you can find me in Football Leftovers, General Talk and College Sports.

The real reason I joined this site was to just shoot the preverbal s*** with guys about the greatest sport ever: football. I love b*tching about football … LOVE IT. And that’s why someday I’d like to be a professional sportswriter. No matter how heated the discussion, there truly is no greater battle of the wits then two diehard fans arguing about the effect Larry Allen will have on San Francisco’s offensive line (some short-term, a lot long term). Arguing about the durability and fatigue issues of Tatum Bell after he runs for 11 or more carries. All that crap. I live for it, and I’ve shown it with 5,000 posts.

I originally started on the Café under the alias of Silver_and_blue (or something similar … I can’t find it. For the sake of this post, it’s S_a_B). I think I had zero posts. I forgot about this website, and moved on. Months later, I found this site once more, but had forgotten about it. I searched for the username Silver_and_Blue again, but alas! It was taken. Who’d’ve thunk? Not realizing that was ME, I decided to make a name that would immediately tell people what kind of fan I was. I’m not creative, methinks. I thought to myself … hey! You like the Cowboys, right? Dur… you could say you’re their no1 fan! And thus, no1cowboysfan was born.

My first couple of posts were in the Cowboys forum … I had always wanted to go to a site that had team-specific forums, and eureka! They had them here. I also tested my waters in the Redskins forum, where I ran across a figurehead known only as Terpfan. What a clown … who is so unimaginative that they can’t even come up with their own name, and have to use something lame like their team name and the word “fan” after it? Talk about boooooring. Oh, wait. Anyways, I was used to good-natured ribbing of Redskins fans, as one of my best friends happened to be a Redskins fan. So I decided to heckle the Redskins fans a little bit as they were getting pumped for the upcoming Cowboys game. They did not see it as good natured … least of all not Terp. I assumed he was just a dick. Overtime, reading his posts, I learned to respect the guy. Then that year, when the Maryland Terrapins upset then No. 2 Florida State, I remembered Terpfan and sent him a PM to say congrats. One of my best friends is a huge Terp fan (though ironically, not the same one as the Redskin fan), so I saw the game, and it was a goodie. Terp sent his thanks. I think we’ve been cool from that point on … despite the fact that he clearly sucks. :-B

Now, to thank the poor schmoes that have had to read my crap for the longest time. Thanks to my fellow owners in my leagues … especially those in NFL’s Finest (the only Café league I’ve been through a season with). I can honestly say there is no finer compilation of dudes in any league that I’m in, or any league for that matter. Post for post, it’s made up of the most quality guys around. Thanks to my idiot friends RayVins and ThatOhioSportsFan (one of which is banned, the other warned), for making me regret I ever told you about this site. And it doesn’t matter what I say … they won’t read it. They never come to GT, if they come at all. Thanks to the Cuna, who is probably the coolest cat of all time, a co-winner of Seraph Survivor, and a diehard member of the Cuthbert Tribe. Thanks to all my homies from the phantom website … you know who you are. If you’re reading this, I’m glad you haven’t been banned yet. I wish this feud could end, but sadly the old bridges look irreparable. Thanks for guys like Canadian Cheesehead and VaderFin who make me feel like less of a dweeb-o for watching both days of the draft. Hell, thanks to all the College Sports regulars. I would NOT like to thank Free Bagel and Canacuna for reaching 5K successively before me … following up two guys of such high awesomeness takes the fire out of my induction. ;-) Thanks to all the Cowboys fans, for keeping the faith through the Campo years. It’s been hard, but we’re finally back in contention. Thanks for guys like BH, Bago and Sling for being crass, so I don’t have to. I appreciate it … honestly. Thanks to guys like Moon, the Dude, ORS, Knapp, etc. for being so opinionated that the Café has a broad spectrum of political thought. Thanks to the mods and admins … though they occasionally do stuff I don’t enjoy, they still run one quality site. Thanks to all you posters … it’s you guys that keep the Café on my bookmark toolbar for Firefox. ;-)

and finally, THanks to football. pEace … see you on the BoArdS. or Elsewhere. ;-D

you call that a speech ;-)
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Previous

Return to General Talk