Antonio Gates Underrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antonio Gates Underrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:55 pm

I don't see why everyone is makeing a HUGE deal out of what the loss of Brees will do to Gates' numbers. Why wouldn't Rivers keep throwing (and a lot for that matter) to him. I mean, that's what training camp and the preseason are for, isn't it? For Rivers and Gates to get on the same page. The guys a physical freak and is as good as most WR2 and can be better than some WR1 (in FF and in the NFL). Oh, and aren't TEs supposed to be young QBs best friends? I just need someone to explain to me why Gates won't continue to put up monstrous numbers, even with Rivers.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:05 pm

First off, I don't understand why you are saying he is underrated, he is being picked in the third round of pretty much every draft I've seen.

As for the possibility that some people may think his numbers will drop off, I can't believe that anyone wouldn't think his numbers might have a drop off because of Rivers. Brees was (I'm saying was because we don't know how he will return from such a serious injury) one of the best QBs in all of football, and Rivers is basically a rookie. That right there tells me that the passes that come Gates's way may not be with the same precision. Also, Rivers has not had a chance to adjust to the NFL game (I don't know how much adjusting to the game you can do from the sidelines), so his reads won't be as good as Brees's, and thus one cannot help but think that the looks that Gates gets may not be as good as they were with Brees.

Of course, this could all be resolved if Rivers transitions perfectly and becomes one of the best in the game.

Just my 2 cents on the situation.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:12 pm

I wouldn't call him underrated, he is a great TE, the guys a beast, but his numbers will drop this year, its almost a given, I mean, as he said, brees was one of the best in the league, and could still be, rivers is still learning, and even if he does catch up sometime later in the season, and is starting to do alright, by then, you've lost a lot of points, that could have won you some big games early in the season, so, it kind of depends how you look at it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:15 pm

I agree with DJF. How can Gates be underrated if he's the consensus #1 TE and the 1st TE taken in every draft? Even if his #'s decline a little with Rivers at QB, he's still #1.

If you think Gates' numbers will decline with Rivers throwing to him, the better question might be: is he overrated?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:17 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:First off, I don't understand why you are saying he is underrated, he is being picked in the third round of pretty much every draft I've seen.

As for the possibility that some people may think his numbers will drop off, I can't believe that anyone wouldn't think his numbers might have a drop off because of Rivers. Brees was (I'm saying was because we don't know how he will return from such a serious injury) one of the best QBs in all of football, and Rivers is basically a rookie. That right there tells me that the passes that come Gates's way may not be with the same precision. Also, Rivers has not had a chance to adjust to the NFL game (I don't know how much adjusting to the game you can do from the sidelines), so his reads won't be as good as Brees's, and thus one cannot help but think that the looks that Gates gets may not be as good as they were with Brees.

Of course, this could all be resolved if Rivers transitions perfectly and becomes one of the best in the game.

Im not really saying underrated from a ADP POV, more of I just don't understand why people are saying his numbers will drop drastically.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:18 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:I agree with DJF. How can Gates be underrated if he's the consensus #1 TE and the 1st TE taken in every draft? Even if his #'s decline a little with Rivers at QB, he's still #1.

If you think Gates' numbers will decline with Rivers throwing to him, the better question might be: is he overrated?

agreed. It is nearly impossible for a player to be underrated when he is a TE getting chosen in the 3rd round, the concensus #1 at his position, and almost always taken 2 rounds before any other player at his position.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:23 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:First off, I don't understand why you are saying he is underrated, he is being picked in the third round of pretty much every draft I've seen.

Of course they MIGHT. That's a pretty safe assumption that the numbers might drop off. Hell, I might wake up dead tomorrow, but I'm betting against it.

And I'm betting against Gates' numbers dropping off as well. Gates is a dominating presence as a WR and TE ... pretty much the only one in SD. Any QB will realize his potential receivers and throw accordingly. I agree that they MIGHT go down, but it doesn't seem likely.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:44 pm

no
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:49 pm

He was taken after players liek Hines Ward, Reuben Droughns, and Thomas Jones in the Mock Draft 2
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:00 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:He was taken after players liek Hines Ward, Reuben Droughns, and Thomas Jones in the Mock Draft 2

He goes typically 2 full rounds before any other QB. For me its, not that I dont think he'll be the #1 TE again, its just that I don't see the gap being as large between him and all other TEs as it usually is unless Rivers is Big Ben 2.0. Shockey put up numbers that pretty much seperated him into a tier between Gates and the rest of last year's TEs, and I'd much rather get him two full rounds later as his situation hasn't gotten any worse (if anything Eli should only get better).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk