Antonio Gates Underrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antonio Gates Underrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:01 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:First off, I don't understand why you are saying he is underrated, he is being picked in the third round of pretty much every draft I've seen.

As for the possibility that some people may think his numbers will drop off, I can't believe that anyone wouldn't think his numbers might have a drop off because of Rivers. Brees was (I'm saying was because we don't know how he will return from such a serious injury) one of the best QBs in all of football, and Rivers is basically a rookie. That right there tells me that the passes that come Gates's way may not be with the same precision. Also, Rivers has not had a chance to adjust to the NFL game (I don't know how much adjusting to the game you can do from the sidelines), so his reads won't be as good as Brees's, and thus one cannot help but think that the looks that Gates gets may not be as good as they were with Brees.

Of course, this could all be resolved if Rivers transitions perfectly and becomes one of the best in the game.

Just my 2 cents on the situation.

Rivers doesn't have to be a better QB than Brees for Gates' number to stay the same, or even to improve. Young QBs generally throw to their TEs a lot, and in addition to that Rivers' strengths are more suited to Gates' than Brees' were (IE he can do a better job of getting him the ball down the field, where Brees struggled a bit).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:13 pm

I think Gates will be fine, not because he's underated, but because Rivers is underated. Rivers is no slouch, and he has had TWO full years to get his feet wet while watching Brees. I think Rivers will be pretty prepared for NFL ball. Yes, it may take him a month or so to adjust, but all in all and I think Rivers will do ok, and Gates will still be Gates.

Having said that, Gates IS being drafted too early.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Gates isn't underrated, he's overrated.

Postby FFCoppola » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:24 pm

His numbers won't drop because he lost Brees, they'll drop because he's coming off a career year; last year at this time Tony Gonzalez wa TE #1.
"Flowers on the Razor Wire."
FFCoppola Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Gates isn't underrated, he's overrated.

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:33 pm

FFCoppola wrote:His numbers won't drop because he lost Brees, they'll drop because he's coming off a career year; last year at this time Tony Gonzalez wa TE #1.

I don't agree with that at all
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:34 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
disgruntledjetsfan wrote:First off, I don't understand why you are saying he is underrated, he is being picked in the third round of pretty much every draft I've seen.

As for the possibility that some people may think his numbers will drop off, I can't believe that anyone wouldn't think his numbers might have a drop off because of Rivers. Brees was (I'm saying was because we don't know how he will return from such a serious injury) one of the best QBs in all of football, and Rivers is basically a rookie. That right there tells me that the passes that come Gates's way may not be with the same precision. Also, Rivers has not had a chance to adjust to the NFL game (I don't know how much adjusting to the game you can do from the sidelines), so his reads won't be as good as Brees's, and thus one cannot help but think that the looks that Gates gets may not be as good as they were with Brees.

Of course, this could all be resolved if Rivers transitions perfectly and becomes one of the best in the game.

Just my 2 cents on the situation.

Rivers doesn't have to be a better QB than Brees for Gates' number to stay the same, or even to improve. Young QBs generally throw to their TEs a lot, and in addition to that Rivers' strengths are more suited to Gates' than Brees' were (IE he can do a better job of getting him the ball down the field, where Brees struggled a bit).

Exactly my point. Thank you FB ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:48 pm

Philip Rivers is the biggest bust ever.

With the stats that Rivers' has put up, it's going to be a tough season for Gates' owners.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:49 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Philip Rivers is the biggest bust ever.

With the stats that Rivers' has put up, it's going to be a tough season for Gates' owners.

Huh?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:51 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:

Huh?

Tough season, broseph. Rivers' ineptitude at the QB position has produced terrible numbers in the past couple years. I expect more of the same.

I'd compare him with another San Diego draft pick, Ryan Leaf.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby terpfan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:53 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
FantasyMan13 wrote:

Huh?

Tough season, broseph. Rivers' ineptitude at the QB position has produced terrible numbers in the past couple years. I expect more of the same.

I'd compare him with another San Diego draft pick, Ryan Leaf.

Am I missing something? Or is this post coming from the future? :-?
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:55 pm

terpfan wrote:Am I missing something? Or is this post coming from the future? :-?

hey terp, what do you think Ryan Leaf is doing these days?

I always thought he's stocking shelves at a Best Buy somewhere in Arkansas...but that's just me.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk