Citybirds's questions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Citybirds's questions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Citybirds's questions

Postby citybirds27 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:50 pm

This may be in the wrong forum...

This is my first year playing fantasy football and I have a lot of basic questions about everything, the first one of the top of my head is : Why are running backs taken with the first 2 picks by everybody or atleast first pick by everybody?
Last edited by citybirds27 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dramamine » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:32 am

Well to put it simply the amount of quality running backs in the nfl is limited compared to other positions, and also RBs are usually the people on a team that touch the ball the most. More touches=good in fantasy football.
dramamine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:38 am

Yes, if you look at this years draft you will only notice a handful of quality RBs, sure you can get by with some others but QUALITY counts for the position. Also they are likely to touch the ball 20+ times per game (depends on certain factors), which means quality potential points. I would say that if RBs and WRs are worth the same, after all the great RB's are gone you "could" draft quality WRs and get some decent RBs in later rounds. I did it today actually and got a very well built team. Its all personal preference though.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:44 am

The key thing about running backs is that the first tier (basically, the top level of running backs) have exponentially greater value than running backs in the 2nd and 3rd tiers. Whereas in WR, WRs in in the first tier usually aren't too far ahead of the 2nd tier, and the ones that are come few and far between. Also, even the best consistent WR will not be as consistent fantasy-wise week-to-week as RBs.

In all actuality, in many leagues QBs get you (on average) the most points than RBs or WRs. Especially in 1pt/25yrd, 6pt/TD leagues, QBs are the top point scorers. However, you can get solid, consistent QBs throughout the mid-rounds of the draft. Whereas for solid RBs, the upper-echelon leaves the board right away.

I kind of confused myself while typing that ... :-B . Does it make sense? :-?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

RBs

Postby FFCoppola » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:45 am

Here is why RBs go first. Scarcity.

There are 32 every week, all game, every snap quarterbacks in the league, barring injuries.

There are around 64 nearly-every-down WRs.

There are 32ish TEs.

There are, oh, 15-20 reliable every down backs, due to uncertainty and RBBC.

That is all.
"Flowers on the Razor Wire."
FFCoppola Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: RBs

Postby The_Dude » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am

FFCoppola wrote:Here is why RBs go first. Scarcity.

There are 32 every week, all game, every snap quarterbacks in the league, barring injuries.

There are around 64 nearly-every-down WRs.

There are 32ish TEs.

There are, oh, 15-20 reliable every down backs, due to uncertainty and RBBC.

That is all.

Apart from the TE comment, I agree with this completely.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby citybirds27 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:45 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:The key thing about running backs is that the first tier (basically, the top level of running backs) have exponentially greater value than running backs in the 2nd and 3rd tiers. Whereas in WR, WRs in in the first tier usually aren't too far ahead of the 2nd tier, and the ones that are come few and far between. Also, even the best consistent WR will not be as consistent fantasy-wise week-to-week as RBs.

In all actuality, in many leagues QBs get you (on average) the most points than RBs or WRs. Especially in 1pt/25yrd, 6pt/TD leagues, QBs are the top point scorers. However, you can get solid, consistent QBs throughout the mid-rounds of the draft. Whereas for solid RBs, the upper-echelon leaves the board right away.

I kind of confused myself while typing that ... :-B . Does it make sense? :-?

thanks thats the answer i wanted and the one below it ;-D
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby smackthefirst » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:59 pm

One other slightly off topic comment, but if this is your first year, make sure you stay around here as much as possible. You will find good debates and insights here that you wouldn't find many other places.

Judging by your post count already, I imagine you know this; but you really won't find a more informative group to help you out.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby gablefan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:27 am

Yeah I came by once last year and now I am hooked. This place is much better than a magazine for $10.99!!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:59 am

gablefan wrote:Yeah I came by once last year and now I am hooked. This place is much better than a magazine for $10.99!!

Exactly. A magazine is a single source of info/knowledge. The Cafe has literally hundreds of dedicated posters who listen to local radio, watch local news, read various articles from various sources around the country and the Internet and who have a fund of knowledge/expertise of their own that is, IMO, equal to or greater than the "knowledge/expertise" of many of the talking heads out there (Funston being an easy target here).

I haven't bought a magazine since I came here, and I've learned TONS since joining. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk