Citybirds's questions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Citybirds's questions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:04 am

knapplc wrote:
gablefan wrote:Yeah I came by once last year and now I am hooked. This place is much better than a magazine for $10.99!!

Exactly. A magazine is a single source of info/knowledge. The Cafe has literally hundreds of dedicated posters who listen to local radio, watch local news, read various articles from various sources around the country and the Internet and who have a fund of knowledge/expertise of their own that is, IMO, equal to or greater than the "knowledge/expertise" of many of the talking heads out there (Funston being an easy target here).

I haven't bought a magazine since I came here, and I've learned TONS since joining. ;-D

I bought one in an airport last year (nothing else to read), flipped through it and immediately regretted the purchase. I felt like the stuff they were writing was old news to me, and I thought they ignored a bunch of key information when making their player rankings.

It also doesn't help them that the magazines usually come out in June, but most FF drafts take place in August - they are missing a lot of important stuff in those two months.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PSU All Day » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:29 am

Every year I do a quick prayer that the rest of my money league owners do not find out about the Cafe.

Every year I see the same people leafing through magazines to make their picks and know they have not found the Cafe.

4 years in the league (and this was my first FFL) and I have won the overall points title twice and the head to head once.
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby HowlingMadDirtDogs » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:27 pm

I think another big reason for runningback value, is that there's pretty much the same amount of starting RBs as QBs in the NFL, yet most fantasy leagues start 2 RBs and only 1 QB. Hence average QBs can be found on waivers because the position doesn't require as much depth. Any running back with a starting job, Is snapped up in a second.

In short, If your stud QB breaks his arm, you can always find a serviceable replacement on short notice, If your stud RB breaks his leg, you are pretty much screwed unless you drafted some solid backups.
HowlingMadDirtDogs
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:47 pm

GL on joining the world of fantasy football. The enjoyment you will find is quite remarkable, watching football will never be the same.
Here is a link to a small debate over draft strategies that introduces the idea that drafting RBs the first two rounds might not be the best. There are a lot of variables and draft position is huge.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=230131

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby confused_jake » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:54 pm

the cafe is also my main source of sports news. I dont get ESPN in my room and whenever i find out about something its from here.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby citybirds27 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:53 pm

Ok new question, what's the best and worst picks for a KEEPER league?
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby biju » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:02 pm

citybirds27 wrote:Ok new question, what's the best and worst picks for a KEEPER league?

Standard questions always apply here: How many teams? What is the roster requirements? How many do you get to keep? Are there restrictions on which players you can keep or is it completely open? Is it the standard scoring system, or something completely different?

In most cases you just go with the players you have the most talent in. I personally don't keep QBs and unless you have Antonio Gates I would never keep a TE. Never, ever, ever keep a D or K obviously.

With RBs I tend to always keep as many starters as possible, even if they aren't doing too good, as long as they aren't in a RBBC situation. For WRs I would probably only keep one if they were a part of the top 6 or so players (for this year anyway) because the position fluctuates too much after that.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby citybirds27 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:12 pm

Ok, let me change my question around, 10-team, regular scoring except some performance bonuses , 6 keepers (atleast 4 vets), and I want the best draft picks like i think 3rd is the best, etc.
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:36 pm

there are so many situations where running backs split time and carries. so, if you can get a full time back who will carry most of the load, that is an excellent pick up. for example, denver has an excellent line. this should immediatley help plummer's value because he is in every snap. also, you would think it would benefit ron dayne. not as much. this is because you draft just dayne instead of their whole RB system. as a result, everything tatum bell does doesn't count for you.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby citybirds27 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 pm

anyone?
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach