Does anyone find Larry the Cable Guy funny? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Does anyone find Larry the Cable Guy funny?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:20 pm

Ron White is hilarious. Engvall and Foxworthy are allright. Larry is funny once in a blue moon I guess...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:39 pm

Larry is absolutely horrible! Give me Dane Cook or some old Eddie Murphy any day of the week ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:45 pm

Ron White= ;-D
Larry The Cable Guy= :-t
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:28 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Larry is absolutely horrible! Give me Dane Cook or some old Eddie Murphy any day of the week ;-D

Go to dane cook's site and go to the videos section! A lot of stuff there, including his whole set from the Insomniac Tour that was on Comedy Central. I've seen it before, but that still had me rolling!

http://www.danecook.com
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Does anyone find Larry the Cable Guy funny?

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 am

jayday wrote:I'm a big fan of all the Blue Collar guys, Ron White being my favorite by far though...

Is Larry overrated? Yes.
Have I laughed at Larry's jokes? Of course.

You aren't going to get all of Larry's material if you haven't lived through some of his material....Same as I'm not going to understand all of a Chris Rock's jokes because I haven't lived through all of the material he's talking about.....

no1cowboysfan wrote:His comedy involves the same cliche metaphors over and over and throws in a racist remark as well.

If you can't laugh at fat, fart, and "easy" jokes as well as some about different races then you aren't going to find Larry funny.....Simple as that....But that isn't all his act is, he gets on topics like politics, religion, and relaionships as well.....

I'm sure you've laughed at Richard Pryor and Dave Chappelle's racist white jokes though....As have I, Chappelle's Clayton Bigsby bit had me in tears....It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life!

Do you have the same hatred towards Chappelle's Show, South Park, Family Guy, Mind of Mencia, etc? They have crude, racist humor as well and make fun of everyone just as Larry does.....If Larry was up there doing black joke after black joke as his only material, then yea there might be a problem....

Do you consider Carlos and Dave racists? I don't....They are poking fun at the ridiculous stereotypes society projects to us....A racist is someone who believes his race is superior and wishes harm on another race....These aren't qualities that Larry, Dave, or Carlos displays....

In the end...It's just comedy, there is a channel-changer or an off switch on your TV or radio....You don't like it, fine....Don't watch.....I hate The View, so I don't watch it :-D

Oh no ... racist comedy, when done the right way, is downright hysterical. But Larry pours it on so blatantly, without any touch, grace or style, that its just painful to hear. I feel the same way about comics like Richard Pryor or Dave Chappelle. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE both of those guys. But when it becomes less about the comedy and more about the racism, I'm turned off.

And that is the impression I get from Larry the Cable guy.

Prime example (obviously not the only one ... just one that I've heard more times than I care to). On a Comedy Central commercial, Larry says "I went down to Florida and caught a Cuban. I didn't even know that was a fish!"

Explain to me why this is funny. PLEASE. I don't get it. Oh, I get that South Florida has a large amount of Cubans. I'm aware of the irony of Cubans "migrating" to the US via water, and therefore why one would be on a fishhook. But it's just not funny. It's freakin' STUPID. And this is the crap they decided to broadcast to people in hopes they'd tune in to watch MORE OF THE SAME.

Listening to that for 1000 times watching Comedy Central, plus having watched Blue Collar Comedy for 2 hours yesterday (my roommates had the remote, and it was on in the background), inspired me to make this thread.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:01 am

Some of the funniest race humor today comes from Carlos Mencia. He's tv show is mildly funny, but his stand up puts me near tears at times. He spends most the time with mexican jokes (which he is) so when he goes off to other races, its not vicious... its race humor, not racist humor. There's a difference there. If Carlos Mencia's No Strings Attached plays on comedy central again, you guys got to check it out. ;-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:00 am

mysticphysh wrote:Some of the funniest race humor today comes from Carlos Mencia. He's tv show is mildly funny, but his stand up puts me near tears at times. He spends most the time with mexican jokes (which he is) so when he goes off to other races, its not vicious... its race humor, not racist humor. There's a difference there. If Carlos Mencia's No Strings Attached plays on comedy central again, you guys got to check it out. ;-D

carlos mencia is not mexican. he's not even hispanic.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:03 am

moonhead wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:Some of the funniest race humor today comes from Carlos Mencia. He's tv show is mildly funny, but his stand up puts me near tears at times. He spends most the time with mexican jokes (which he is) so when he goes off to other races, its not vicious... its race humor, not racist humor. There's a difference there. If Carlos Mencia's No Strings Attached plays on comedy central again, you guys got to check it out. ;-D

I thought he was from Honduras or Guatemala :-?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:05 am

onnestabe wrote:
moonhead wrote:

i heard he's armenian or something.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:12 am

moonhead wrote:
onnestabe wrote:
moonhead wrote:

i heard he's armenian or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Mencia
wikipedia wrote:Ned Arnel Mencia (born October 22, 1967), better known by the stage name Carlos Mencia, is a comedian, writer, and actor. He was born seventeenth of eighteen children in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

;-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk