Suggs vs Droughns - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Suggs vs Droughns

Moderator: Football Moderators

Suggs vs Droughns

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:47 am

Suggs has put on some weight and seems healthy so far - Crennel is apparently gonna let these guys duke it for the starting job. Even if Droughns is the starter again, any chance Suggs gets enough carries to hurt Droughns' fantasy value???
See: http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Cate ... 292555&r=2
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:18 pm

i wouldnt plan on it, but i'm not planning on either of them being a big part of my fantasy team anyway
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby whodey#9 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:22 pm

Yeah I would stay away from Browns RB's if I were you, at least intill we can get a better grasp on who is gonna do what.
whodey#9
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Interesting article, but I still question Suggs' ability to stay healthy through training camp. At this point, I still think you have to assume Droughns will be the starter for the majority of the year. Still, downgrade Droughns a bit (I am thinking 3rd-4th round now), and upgrade Suggs. Before this, Suggs's only value IMO was as a handcuff in deep leagues. Now, I see him as a legitimate sleeper RB.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:06 pm

I cant see Suggs staying healthy to make any serious threat to Droughns job. Suggs is nothing more then a 3rd down back in Cleveland. Heres what Savage had to say the other day.

Browns starting RB job still belongs to Droughns
Steve Doerschuk
6/15/2006

BEREA - A year ago, Lee Suggs was ahead of Reuben Droughns in the race to be the Browns’ No. 1 running back.

Coming off a 1,232-yard rushing year, Droughns heads for this weekend’s minicamp as the No. 1 guy, but Suggs is healthy and might apply some heat.

Droughns didn’t help himself with his recent arrest on domestic violence charges.

“If Lee comes back and lights it up,” General Manager Phil Savage recently said, “then that’s something we would talk about, but at this point ... what have you done for me lately? Reuben rushed for 1,200 yards, and Lee was injured some.

“The idea would be for Reuben to be the lead guy and then to have two others complement in some way, either as a true backup, a tailback type or the No. 3, change-up type.”

The Browns are beginning to figure out whether fifth-round pick Jerome Harrison can fit into the running back mix.

“He’s got a knack for finding the crease and squirting through,” Savage said. “He has good vision.”

Droughns’ legal situation is pending. Savage makes it sound as though the Browns have practiced “tough love” with the 27-year-old in the wake of the incident.

“He’s been given the word that it’s something we take very seriously,” Savage said.

http://www.cantonrep.com/

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:04 pm

Change the title to Droughns vs. William Green and we might be talking. Suggs seems to be the kind of guy with Chris Brown type stud potential, but doesn't have the package to put it together and get through a full season of NFL RB.

I think the references to Suggs being a third down back, fall in line with the assumption that he is actually the 3rd RB in line to start. Sure he will get in the game from time to time, but he's not really in line for the featured role with all the injuries he has racked up thus far in his career. I think the Brown's are figuring they should use him in a way where they might actually get 14-16 games out of him, even if he does turn out to be the most talented RB on the roster.

With all the problems Droughns has been having this offseason, I would not be surprised at all to see William Green take over due to a minor injury and not look back. I've drastically lowered Droughns on my cheatsheet recently, because I'm more and more hesitant of the whole RBBC with William Green/Suggs. Maybe Droughns didn't earn their confidence last year and he only got the carries due to necessity? I thought Droughns did well personally, but I get the feeling that the front office feels differently.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dolfin99 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:27 pm

I agree with Kensat re Suggs. This guy has loads of potential and he showed that at VT. Injuries killed his career and I do not see him coming back from that. Only if Droughns could score some TD's, with those yards, he coudl be a top RB.
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about Suggs screwing up Droughn's fantasy value. Crennel says that about every position. He always says that nobody is guaranteed the starting spot. They will have to fight for it week in and week out. That's just good coach speak to keep backups motivated. Futhermore, we just reworked Droughn's contact to reward him for his season last year and proving it was not just the Denver system. Droughns is the full-time starter and will get the bulk of the carries as long as he stays healthy of course. Suggs/Green will see their carries when Droughns needs a breather.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Deathlok2001 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:45 am

Droughns + edwards + johnson = potential does it not?

Why is everyone down on Droughns? He was very consistent last year as a fantasy player. He had only 1 game with less than 7 points. Are not the browns a team that like to pound the ball? I would say he makes a good 2nd or 3rd RB option. But then again, I am a gambler. Last year I grabbed LJ in the low rounds because I KNEW FOR A FREAKIN FACT THAT Holmes was NOT going to make it the entire season injury free. No one believed me! Well , where are you now? Please look past the last season, refuse to fall into that trap like all these so called football "experts." I respect those that can make bold predictions within reason.
Deathlok2001
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:05 am

Deathlok2001 wrote:Droughns + edwards + johnson = potential does it not?

Why is everyone down on Droughns? Are not the browns a team that like to pound the ball? I would say he makes a good 2nd or 3rd RB option. But then again, I am a gambler. Last year I grabbed LJ in the low rounds because I KNEW FOR A FREAKIN FACT THAT Holmes was NOT going to make it the entire season injury free. No one believed me! Well , where are you now? Please look past the last season, refuse to fall into that trap like all these so called football "experts." I respect those that can make bold predictions within reason.

Sure, there's potential there in Cleveland, but the most important piece of the offense - the QB - is very green and you have to be concerned that they will hard time sustaining drives long enough for Droughns (and Edwards, and Winslow) to get the touches he needs to produce. Also, you have to be concerned that Droughns did not score many TDs. He didn't score much in Denver, either.

I am not saying you should avoid drafting Droughns altogether, only that you should keep an eye on the situation, and maybe downgrade him a bit compared to his peers because of the risk of a RBBC. A lot depends on who your #1 RB is. If you got LT, LJ, or SA, why not take Droughns - you don't plan on having to rely on your RB2 much anyways. But if you already have one risky back on your roster, why take on more risk with Droughns when you could select Dunn (for instance), who knows his role in the offense and has produced well for years, instead?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk