who are some good late round RBs and WRs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

who are some good late round RBs and WRs

Moderator: Football Moderators

who are some good late round RBs and WRs

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:57 am

ok, just looking for opinion on some late round picks that could pay off really well.

Here are some of my thoughts.

RB
Marion barber - He isnt being looked at much, but after last year, he should see some carries, and if jones gets hurt, which he does alot, Marion could be a stud

Frank Gore - Another backup that could do Very well if barlow either gets hurt or doesnt preform well. I think that by week 6, Gore will be the starter. Barlow is also usually available deep into drafts, and the combination of the 2 gives you a starter all season.

Ron Dayne - More so in yahoo leagues, this guy is still available in the later rounds, and i think that he has just as good a chance at the starting spot at Bell. Plus, Denver seems to be a place for RBs to thrive.

Ryan Moats - This is more of a long shot, but I think this guy is going to be a stud in the years to come, and if he gets his chance this year, i dont think he will dissapoint.

Greg Jones - Another potential starter due to injuries, but this guy is constantly falling to the later rounds, especially in yahoo leagues.

WRs
Muhammed - If the bears can play like they did the last few weeks of the season on offense, this guy could be putting up #1 WR numbers. Not falling that far, but if he can be had after round 7, he could be a steal.

Reggie Brown - Not sure why this guy is being undervalued, he is the only decent reciever on philly. He should see lots of balls thrown his way.

Michael Clayton - I know he wasnt that great last year, but lots of players have a softmore slump. If he can play like he did his rookie season, he is a late round steal.

Thats about all I got right now, just looking for opinions.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Deathlok2001 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:54 am

If you draft Julius Jones & do not hand cuff Marion barber, your an idiot.

If you draft D. Foster, & do not hand cuff D. Williams, see above.

What about Mike Williams for the vikes?

Or the backup RB to LJ? Is it Quentin Griffin? Yes, he is undersized, but do you really need to be that big to run behind that massive KC O-line? Quentin Griffin = use your very last pick to grab him, it cant hurt & this spot is usually a gamble pick anyways........
Deathlok2001
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:32 am

First, my thoughts on the guys you named...

Barber - I think he is one of the best non-starters to grab. Parcells seems to like him more than JJ, and JJ hasn't made it through a season yet without missing time, so if JJ goes down, Parcells won't rush him back, which means Barber will get an extra week or two as the starter.

Frank Gore - I think he is going to be the starter going into the season. The coaching staff didn't like Barlow very much last year. The only problem with him is that he plays for the 49ers.

Dayne - enjoy those Yahoo leagues, because you won't see him slipping in any competitive leagues. I would be a little worried about Shanahan adding someone to take over the Mike Anderson role, but right now Dayne is the front-runner for the position.

Moats - Westbrook is not the most durable back, and Moats has shown flashes of ability that would make me confident to start him if Westbrook misses time.

Greg Jones - mixed opinions on this one. He did very well filling in for Fragile Freddie last year, but he plays in a crowded backfield - Taylor, Jones, Pearman, Toefield, and the rookie Maurice Drew. I don't really worry too much about Pearman or Toefield, but you have to be worried with a high draft pick like Drew working into some kind of RBBC situation.

Muhammad - I have my doubts about how much longer he can do it. The Bears really like Mark Bradley, and I think he will become the big play WR with Muhammad reverting to the posession role he had in Carolina before 2004.

Reggie Brown - you have to be concerned about his youth, but he is probably #1 on the depth chart right now, and Westbrook and Smith can't catch every pass. If he progresses during the season, you could be getting #1WR production out of a #3WR pick.

Michael Clayton - I don't really trust Simms, and I like Galloway to have one or two more good years, but Clayton has produced well before, and is a good late-round value pick. You know Gruden is going to get the ball in the air, and if Galloway isn't catching them, then Clayton will be.

And now for some of the guys I like in late rounds...

Mark Bradley - see above.

Marcedes Lewis - Everyone knows that the JAX WR position is up in the air now that Jimmy Smith has retired, but few have mentioned the possiblity that some of Smith's catches could go to the pass-catching TE they just drafted.

Cedric Houston - CMart has been falling due to injury concerns, but I don't think Houston has been rising. Some may be worried that Blaylock will be the backup, but Houston is the young guy, so I think they will turn to him should CMart get hurt.

Michael Pittman - Caddy is a great runner, but with his size, you have to be concerned that he can handle the workload that Gruden put on him last year. If Simms struggles early, Caddy will get even more carries, and if Caddy goes down, Pittman becomes the every-down back (he won't get goalline TDs, but he will get the carries and catches). Again, he may have more value as trade bait to the Caddy owner, but if you have the roster space, he has potential to bring some value to your team.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:19 am

Deathlok2001 wrote:If you draft Julius Jones & do not hand cuff Marion barber, your an idiot.

Or the backup RB to LJ? Is it Quentin Griffin? Yes, he is undersized, but do you really need to be that big to run behind that massive KC O-line? Quentin Griffin = use your very last pick to grab him, it cant hurt & this spot is usually a gamble pick anyways........

First i think your talking about Troy Williamson for the Vikes, Mike WIlliams is on the Lions.

Secondly the backup to LJ will be either Dee Brown or QTip. I would take a chance on Brown before Griffin personally.

I think that Rod Gardner will win the #2 spot in GB and could be of value late. Furgeson is constantly injured and Greg Jennings isnt ready for the NFL yet.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:03 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
Deathlok2001 wrote:If you draft Julius Jones & do not hand cuff Marion barber, your an idiot.

First i think your talking about Troy Williamson for the Vikes, Mike WIlliams is on the Lions.

Secondly the backup to LJ will be either Dee Brown or QTip. I would take a chance on Brown before Griffin personally.

I think that Rod Gardner will win the #2 spot in GB and could be of value late. Furgeson is constantly injured and Greg Jennings isnt ready for the NFL yet.

I like Williamson, the only thing keeping him back besides his annoying ability to drop passes is his QBs inability to throw the deep ball that he would thrive with.

Isn't Priest going to be LJs back-up?

Moulds for Houston and Bruce or Curtis for the Rams are good late round values. Brandon Jacobs might be worth a late round flyer. He could be a TD vulture supreme this season now that he has some experience.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk