Give me your opinion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Give me your opinion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Give me your opinion

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:57 am

In an auction league, 2 people are bidding on a player. With less than an hour to go till the player is bought (at a pretty cheap price - 15 to 20 bucks cheaper than he has gone in other leagues) a third person not bidding on the said player make a post saying somebody bid on XYZ before he goes for less than he should (paraphrasing).

When the owner that lost out blasts the third person regarding their interference, a couple of other owners in the league say they don't see anything wrong with the third person's original comment.

Was I right or wrong for saying anything to the third person or was I right?
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:00 am

never done an auction draft before. But I play a ton of poker and I would think it'd be the same type of rules. If you're not involved in the play then don't open your mouth. If you think the player is going way too cheap then make a bid on him. The third person shouldn't have said anything to the guys bidding on the player.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 am

I dont think there is anything wrong with owners voicing their opinions on a players value, either before or after that player is drafted.

Its up to personal opinion, but people can do and say whatever they want. Unless it is in the rules that you cant voice opinions on players till they are drafted, then who cares, let the guy say what he wants.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:10 am

I agree with RawDawg - during a draft/auction, you should keep your mouth closed about any players that are not on a roster yet.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby HomeyJJ » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:12 am

That guy needs to keep his mouth shut and not talk out of order.

When your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing." - Bo Schembechler
--HERE WE GO LIONS, HERE WE GO!
HomeyJJ
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:19 am

Nah, a primary strategy of an Auction league is to drive up prices for other owners. Trash talking and bluffing are musts in FF... it's part of the game.

An owner has a right to say whatever they want (although it could backfire on them).

EDIT: Especially when a team is going to r@pe the league with a dirt cheap acquisition. Yeah, the silent owner is just letting his competiton get stronger.
Last edited by Twisted Sister on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:19 am

Any leagues where there is FA, RFA, or drafts in I've always gone by the rule of no name dropping and this kind of sits in the same category in my book. It was very poor etiquette on the outside guy's part.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:30 am

I agree with those that say keep quiet. If the person thinks that the player is going to cheap, then they should bid on him, not tell other owners to bid on him. I would be concerned about being in a league where other owners are following the advise of another owner :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:34 am

Twisted Sister wrote:Nah, a primary strategy of an Auction league is to drive up prices for other owners. Trash talking and bluffing are musts in FF... it's part of the game.

An owner has a right to say whatever they want (although it could backfire on them).

EDIT: Especially when a team is going to r@pe the league with a dirt cheap acquisition. Yeah, the silent owner is just letting his competiton get stronger.

If the price is dirt cheap and you don't want the other guy to get him, you should bid on the guy - not tell others to bid on him.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

???

Postby FantasyFootball4life » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:35 am

So in any cafe leagues do the people involved in them stay away from responding to any posts about undrafted players in their leagues? Why not have a little mind game in FF?? Little strategy never hurt anyone, He did not force anyone's hand. In auction it is different than in draft, name dropping may remind an owner of a player, but only in non-competitive leagues. We all have cheetsheats and we all know who is left so name dropping really only helps the people who have not been following the draft. In an auction league everyone knows the player is being bid on so what if other owners try talking the player up, if another owner falls for it and hasn't done their own homework then so be it. Just my opinion.
FantasyFootball4life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk