Mock Draft results with WR/WR strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mock Draft results with WR/WR strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mock Draft results with WR/WR strategy

Postby King Colt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:10 pm

With all the WR/WR draft strategy discussion, I figured I would get into an AntSports mock and see how things turned out. I signed up for a 10 teamer, HP scoring w/TE, and staked out the #8 slot. We're in the 11th round, but that's enough for our purposes here. This is what I came up with:

1.8 - Chad Johnson

2.3 - Marvin Harrison (I could have had my pick of WR's with these 2 picks. I chose these guys because I like CJ's potential and Marvin's consistency. Smith, TO, Boldin, Fitz and Moss all have awesome potential for next season, but I have a few ?? for each of them. To each his own with these 1st tier WR's, IMO).

3.8 - Jamal Lewis (It was a long wait to see who would be available at RB. There's nothing remotely resembling a 'sure thing RB' at this point. I'm wishing that I had jumped on Rudi, Domanick, or Julius with 2.3. I'm typically a RB heavy drafter, so it was difficult to fight my instincts for the sake of the experiment. In the meantime, 8 more WR's fly off the board, basically wiping out the top 2 tiers).

4.3 - Willie Parker (This round will probably be difficult in most WR/WR drafts. You'll have an obvious need at RB, but it's highly likely that most options will be reaches. Snagging Gates, Hines Ward, or Carson Palmer will be tempting. Other than that, I'm gambling on Reggie Bush or reaching for Dunn, Dillon or Bell - but I think at least one of these guys will be there for me in round 5. Everyone else is picking over the WR bones or picking up the top TE's. I go with Parker because he plays in a great rushing offense and has young legs - I didn't want to end up with Lewis, Dunn, Dillon, CMart and Green - what if they all break down? Lewis isn't old, but he's been through the grinder a few times).

5.8 - Corey Dillon (I really wanted Dunn here, but Dillon will do. I would usually be looking at a 2 tier QB or WR here, but I have bigger ??? than most at RB. I also don't like the rookie/backup options that will be left if I pass on Dillon. There will be opportunities for 'potential RB's' later on. Going WR/WR will probably force most of us to wait unti later rounds for a QB. Fortunately, there are some decent options down there, as usual).

6.3 - Joe Horn (In retrospect, I wish I'd taken Todd Heap with this choice. At the time, though, I wanted to get my WR3 because my league starts 3, the WR crop is very picked over, and I have a feeling, based on team rosters, that there will be a WR run very soon).

7.8 - Ahman Green (I'm very happy to get Ahman as a 4th RB and feel like I've been able to recover reasonably well from the WR/WR start. JLew, Willie Parker, Dillon and Green should give me some reasonable options. I also hope to use a 11-13 pick on a younger RB with some playing potential. CMart went a few picks before me, along with the requisite "gas in the tank?" comment. By the way, I was wrong about the WR run. QB's and TE's were popular choices, too, but 4 more WR's were taken).

8.3 - Michale Clayton (By this time everyone has a QB but me, so I think I can continue to wait it out and bolster my bench. I wonder who will be left at QB and how many owners will get their back before I am able to draft my starter. I see at least 7 QB's that I would play with, so I feel confident.)

9.8 - Trent Green (The 13th QB off the board lands a starting job with me. Brees and Plummer are still available, so I think I want one of them on the turnaround. Any 2 of these 3 should give me a chance week in and week out. There are too many TE's to worry about taking one now).

10.3 - Drew Brees (Yay!)

11.8 - Heath Miller (The TE crop thins out a little, but I still get to choose between Miller, LJ, Vernon, Dallas and Kellen. DeAngelo is still out there, so hopefully I'll get him at 12.3. If not, the DST's are still out in force, so maybe I'll grab the Panthers, Ravens, or Colts instead.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby King Colt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:32 pm

Part of the WR/WR draft strategy centered on the obvious dropoff after the top 5 RB's, and fears of letting an owner pair LT with a TO type WR. These were at least 2 of the reasons for going WR early and often. For those who are interested, here are the rosters of the owners in my mock with picks 1-3.

Owner #1:

1 LT
2 Holt
3 Boldin
4 Shockey
5 Bulger
6 Deuce
7 Burleson
8 Fr. Taylor
9 C. Brown
10 Barlow
11 C. Perry

A hybrid drafter, going RB/WR/WR/TE/QB. I was a bit worried when this guy started out with LT, Torry, and Anquan (he could have had Fitz instead). I expected him to get Dunn, Dillon, or Bell or even two of them on his back to back, but he went TE, QB instead. In the process, I think he really hurt his team, but he might recover nicely with the RB depth he picked up later. His team isn't as scary as I thought it would be (or as it could have been, IMO).

Owner #2

1 LJ
2 Westbrook
3 Fitz
4 Driver
5 Burress
6 Addai
7 Branch
8 Rhodes
9 Warner
10 McMichael
11 Brooks

This guy went RB/RB/WR/WR/WR - a strategy I really like to use. In the process, he really only ended up with 3 RB's, as Addai/Rhodes probably count as only 1. Unless one of the Colts hits it big, RB depth could be an issue for him. All in all, this is a pretty standard, safe looking team, IMO. I think Burress in the 5th is a steal for him.

Owner #3

1 SA
2 Domanick
3 McGahee
4 S Moss
5 Galloway
6 McNabb
7 Crumpler
8 Rod Smith
9 Bledsoe
10 Stallworth
11 Gado

Here's your trusty RB/RB/RB/WR/WR drafter, or the Faulk strategy as they used to say. As would be expected, he doesn't have a stud WR, but did get a few guys who can (and have) stepped it up in the recent past. Decent recovery at the WR position considering his strategy. This team lives and dies with it's WR productivity, IMO. If one of those guys rises up, this team is a contender.

For good measure and as a means of easy comparison, here is my team, which used the WR/WR/RB/RB/RB/WR approach

1 CJ
2 Marvin
3 J Lewis
4 W Parker
5 Dillon
6 Horn
7 A Green
8 Michael Clayton
9 T Green
10 Brees
11 H Miller

I think my team turned out just fine. As expected, there are some questions at RB, but I was able to get enough guys that somebody has to hit, right? I feel that my RB's are nearly as strong as any other team, but I have an edge at WR.

In all, I think the WR/WR strategy is a distinct possibility, but other owners in my draft showed that it's possible to go RB/WR/WR and still come out fine (as in LT/Holt/Boldin).
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby King Colt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:36 pm

You might be able to use the following link to check out the rosters and maybe even the draft results.

http://www.antsports.com/smd/rosters.asp?LID=15213

We were 10 team mock #213. I'm pretty sure you can view complete drafts at AntSports, but I've never tried it.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanks for posting all this KC ;-D

I really don't like the team that the SA owner got. I think Moss is going to be a disappointment, and Galloway is a big question mark. I don't know why you would take Bledsoe when you have McNabb - he should be focusing on depth at other positions.

I like the LJ owner's team so far- very reliable WRs, but he really needs to focus on RBs from here on out.

The LT owner's team would have been very scary if he had waited on TE and QB and focused on another quality RB instead. He needs to make sure to handcuff Taylor and Chris Brown now.

I like the RBs you ended up with here, and it looks like you had some pretty good options. The thing about those veteran RBs is that it seems like at least one per year jumps up and surprises you.

I would be interested in seeing the rosters of the people who drafted immediately before and after you. Then we could see a comparison of what someone in a similar draft position might end up with if they were to go with a more traditional draft strategy.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby King Colt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:12 pm

I can handle that.

Owner #7

1 SJax
2 Rudi
3 Chambers
4 Droughns
5 Javon
6 D Foster
7 Delhomme
8 D Bennett
9 Vick
10 Cooley
11 Wilford

I kinda like this team, and picking at #7 I would probably target those same 2 RB's. Chambers and Walker make for a decent WR tandem, and Delhomme always seems to be underrated as a fantasy QB. I would be relatively happy with this team.

Owner #9

1 Lamont
2 Peyton
3 Chester T
4 Hines
5 A Johnson
6 Bell
7 Kennison
8 Porter
9 Steelers
10 Rackers
11 LenDale

I'm not too sold on this team for a couple of reasons. For one, it shows what happens when you give up an early pick to draft Manning. I think this owner compounded this mistake by also selecting DST and K early. His RB's are thin and I hate his WR2 options all around. Who hasn't been burned by Andre Johnson and Joey Porter?
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:23 pm

In my opinion team #2 and team #7 came away with the best teams in that. Owner 7 came away with a very solid team. He is deep at RB and his Wrs didnt suffer that much. Walker and Driver are solid receivers and Bennett is a very nice #3. Im not a big fan of the WR/WR draft to start things out. I have seen too many leagues won with RB/RB to ever take WR/WR in the first 2 rounds. Its not a bad thing to do in a free league but in a money league there is no way I would feel comfortable going in with Jamal Lewis as my #1.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:23 pm

I like the SJax owner's team except for his WRs. Chambers should be good, and may have a break out year, but I worry abotu Javon coming off the knee injury and not having a clearly defined role in the offense. And I don't like Drew Bennett at all this year - you are going to have an inexperienced QB no matter what, and I think he needs a solid WR across from him (not Givens) in order to be effective. I probably would have skipped over Foster in favor of another WR in his place.

The Lamont team doesn't really give us much good info, since he made a few mistakes (QB, DST, and K too early), but he did show that Chester Taylor would have been available to you in the third (I still would have taken Lewis, but maybe Taylor slips back to you in the 4th in other drafts), and it shows that Lendale White was available fairly late, who could very well be starting by the time Dillon or Green starts to break down.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:31 pm

i did a yahoo draft the other day, with IDPs. I had the 7th pick, and had just finished reading the posts on draft WR/WR so I thought I would try it.

posted in roster ratings, check out the results

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=230627

I like my team, overall. Probably not the best team in the league, but probably in the upper half for sure.
its a 10 teamer

My IDPs arent that great, mainly because i didnt know it was an IDP league, and had never done one before, so i just went to NFL.com and lookup last years int and sack leaders. :)

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:38 pm

As to not start another thread on the same topic, I also tried a few mocks with this concept and here is the outcome of my current mock. We have gotten through 8 rounds thus far, so there should be enough to give you a good idea. Of course this is a variation on the WR/WR strategy with having a top 3 pick and going RB/WR/WR. here's the rundown up until this point.

1.03 - LT - The fact that LT came to me at the 3rd pick made me know this was going to be a good one. ;-D
2.08 - Holt - TO and SSmith were gone so I had my choice of Holt or CJ. I personally think Holt is the safer bet.
3.03 - Harrison - CJ went a pick before this and RMoss and Fitz were still there, but I like Harrison's consistancy.
4.08 - CTaylor - Dunn went at 4.07 and JLewis went at 4.03. Regardless I like CTaylor at this spot and think he could easily produce like the RB's taken in the 2nd round.
5.03 - FWP - Probably a little bit of a reach, but I know I needed RB depth with this strategy and more he was the best of the bunch left. The best TE on the board at this point was Cooley.
6.08 - Benson - Boom or bust type of pick, but if he becomes the lone starter, the league is pretty much over IMO.
7.03 - Mason - Nice bye week replacement for the studs and could easily fill the hole if the injury bug hit me. Love the value in the 7th round also.
8.08 - CPepp - QB's started to run off and I felt comfortable at my other positions. Plus the owners drafting in between here and my comeback pick have TE's so I knew they should all fall through to my pick at 9.03.

Overall I like the way this team formed up. The only problem is a bye week issue right now with week 7 because I wasn't paying much attention to that as it is a mock draft. But trades could eliminate that by week 7. Coming back at 9.03 I can go for LJ Smith to lockdown my TE spot, or take another RB with upside in DWilliams or LWhite. At this point since the big TE names are off the board, I may just opt for the RB and take 2 TE's later and hope to get 2 TE's with nice upside out of players like VDavis, Troupe, Hilton, Winslow.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:48 pm

Yeah, that team looks great so far, smack. It seems odd that TEs went so fast (only Cooley left in round 5), and if my team looked like that, I would concede week 7 as a loss just to keep them all together. I would probably go with two late round TEs instead of taking LJ Smith.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk