Mock Draft results with WR/WR strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mock Draft results with WR/WR strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:57 pm

My question is, i see you took CJ in the first....was Steve smith already gone? or do you just think CJ will have a better year.

Also in the 2nd u picked Marvin Harrison....was TO already gone or did u just want the more secure pick with Harrison.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:18 pm

These mocks are making me sick. I'm starting to think that the people that draft 1, 2 and 3 have a huge advantage over the rest of the league (not just in this mock, but in EVERY league) Even though they get LT, LJ and SA... they still can get TWO top tier WR's in rounds 2 and 3.

Ok, so if you're drating late and you go WR/WR... neglecting running back until Round 3 and 4, your WR's may be better or equal to those guys who drafted 1, 2 and 3, but their RB's are going to blow yours out of the water, and their WR's are still going to be comparable to yours, especially when you factor in fluctuation of where players finish in relation to where they're drafted.

They might be looking at Willie Parker, Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green or Corey Dillon type of RB's in Round 4 or 5, but you're going to be looking at that same caliber or running back in rounds 3 and 4, only they'll have a horse at RB and their WR's will basically be equal :-/
Last edited by bagobonez on Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby King Colt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:03 pm

Alkaholik wrote:My question is, i see you took CJ in the first....was Steve smith already gone? or do you just think CJ will have a better year.

Also in the 2nd u picked Marvin Harrison....was TO already gone or did u just want the more secure pick with Harrison.

I took the first two WR's off the board, so yeah, those guys were available. I explained my reasoning in the first post, but you basically hit it with the security of Harrison. I also don't believe that Steve Smith will have the same kind of season. He'll be darned good, but chances are he won't be the best fantasy WR again this year.
King Colt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:05 pm

I agree bagobonez, but don't let it completely discourage you. I've put together some respectable teams from every position in the draft thus far just to be sure I can make it work so to speak regardless of where I draft. I had a 6th pick draft go like this:

1.06 - James
2.05 - DD
3.06 - McGahee
4.05 - RWilliams
5.06 - Burress
6.05 - CPepp
7.06 - Horn
8.05 - Dayne
9.06 - AGreen

So is this the best team I have been able to put together? No. But it appears to be deep enough to me that if I play matchups right, and one or two guys performs a little better than expected, I can still compete with the top 3 picks.

I think the advantage is clearly there for the top 3 picks, but we've all seen it every year where one big time injury can ruin one team and make another one into a stud. IE last year with Priest going down and LJ stepping up, which I admit is a very pronounced example, but you see the point.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

I agree

Postby FFCoppola » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:36 am

bagobonez wrote:These mocks are making me sick. I'm starting to think that the people that draft 1, 2 and 3 have a huge advantage over the rest of the league (not just in this mock, but in EVERY league) Even though they get LT, LJ and SA... they still can get TWO top tier WR's in rounds 2 and 3.

Ok, so if you're drating late and you go WR/WR... neglecting running back until Round 3 and 4, your WR's may be better or equal to those guys who drafted 1, 2 and 3, but their RB's are going to blow yours out of the water, and their WR's are still going to be comparable to yours, especially when you factor in fluctuation of where players finish in relation to where they're drafted.

They might be looking at Willie Parker, Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green or Corey Dillon type of RB's in Round 4 or 5, but you're going to be looking at that same caliber or running back in rounds 3 and 4, only they'll have a horse at RB and their WR's will basically be equal :-/

I agree, and that's why I'd never start WR/WR - the advantage of a late pick is the ability to get two decent backs - I really think that TO and Steve Smith are inferior choices to, say, Rudi Johnson and Carnell Williams. The only downside of an early pick is the RB choices available at the end of round two - I'd much rather let the guy with LT get CJ on the turnaround than land Brian Westbrook. It's your responsibility to take all teh decent backs before they get back to him so he -has- to take stud WR's!
"Flowers on the Razor Wire."
FFCoppola Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:53 am

Here's the thing about those early picks. It looks like their team is unbeatable after the draft, because they end up with one of the best RBs, one or two of the best WRs, and a 2nd tier RB, but anything can and will happen once the season starts. People will get injured, backups will become starters, and guys that went undrafted will become every-week starters. Any team can have a very good first three rounds of their draft, but that doesn't fill up half your starting roster, and there's going to be 12-20 more rounds of drafting that will have an impact on everyone's team.

What I am saying is, sure, the top three guys will probably have good looking teams after the draft, but luckily, you don't play them every week. You only have to beat those guys one or two times a year.

Your job is to beat the rest of the teams. In a 12 team league where you don't have a top 3 pick, you have 8 other teams that don't have top picks either, and 8 wins gets you into the playoffs. If you can draft a team that can beat those other 8 guys in the regular season and leaves you with a good chance to improve come playoff-time, you are right there for a championship.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby bigE141 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:20 pm

I just thought that I would add another mock draft result going WR/WR. I like the way my team turned out and might have to use this for my upcoming redraft leagues. 10 team draft:

1.08- Steve Smith
2.03- Chad Johnson
3.08- Willie Parker
4.3- Jamal Lewis
5.8- Reuben Droughns
6.3- Alge Crumpler
7.8- Derrick Mason
8.3- Daunte Culpepper
9.8- Drew Bledsoe
10.3- Ron Dayne
11.8- Laverneous Coles
12.3-Lawrence Maroney

QB- Daunte Culpepper, Drew Bledsoe
RB- Willie Parker, Jamal Lewis, Reuben Droughns, Ron Dayne, Lawrence Maroney
WR- Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Laverneous Coles
TE- Alge Crumpler

Haven't finished the draft yet, and will pick up defense and kickers later.
Thanks for the sig, madaslives911!
bigE141
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PACKman1144 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:44 pm

Did anybody draft WR/WR in a league that they played in last year, where every owner was active?

I'm curious to see the results.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:49 pm

Having Droughns/FWP/Jamal/KJ/JJ/TJ as your #1 and #2 RBs will guarantee finishing 5-8th in you league.

Folks, the WR/WR approach only works if you trade out of the 1st round entirely.

WHY burn a 1st round pick on Smith or CJ... WHY? Trade into the 2nd and gaining an additional 2nd 3rd and 4th/5th.

Would you rather have Fitz + Gates(or 3rd round RB) + Palmer/Eli/Chambers

Or

Just Steve Smith?
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:24 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:Having Droughns/FWP/Jamal/KJ/JJ/TJ as your #1 and #2 RBs will guarantee finishing 5-8th in you league.

Folks, the WR/WR approach only works if you trade out of the 1st round entirely.

WHY burn a 1st round pick on Smith or CJ... WHY? Trade into the 2nd and gaining an additional 2nd 3rd and 4th/5th.

Would you rather have Fitz + Gates(or 3rd round RB) + Palmer/Eli/Chambers

Or

Just Steve Smith?

Good luck arranging a trade for a 2nd/3rd/4th for just a 1st round pick. Are you kidding me? Not to mention that in a lot of redrafts, a draftpick trade is not feasible or allowed.

And regarding your X player as RB#1/RB#2 argument, look at the above poster's mock draft. He doesn't get stuck in a RB#1/RB#2 gameplan, he has 4 starting RBs to work with each and every week. Not only does that mean he has layers of protection against injury, but he can also play the hothand and matchups week in and week out. A lot of guys that go RB/RB in their first two rounds won't have those kind of options because they have 2 "studs" to start each week and little else.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk