Mock Draft results with WR/WR strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mock Draft results with WR/WR strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:02 pm

Ironhorse75 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
PACKman1144 wrote:Did anybody draft WR/WR in a league that they played in last year, where every owner was active?

I'm curious to see the results.

I did one last year to see how it would work but it was an autopick - it was a 10 teamer and unfortunately for me, lol, an active league. My picks by round:
1) R Moss
2) T Owens
3) C Johnson
4) C Brown
5) T Bell
6) M Hasselbeck
7) R McMichael
8) Pittsburgh
9) J Elam
10) R Brown (RB)
11) P Burress
12) C Rogers
13) D Carr
14) Chicago
!5) J Putzier

My record was a measly 4-10-0, good enough for 9th place, even after adding a couple more running backs later like Anderson and Parker. I know I had better luck when I did it 2 years ago but I can't find that team right now. Maybe not the best example being an autodraft.

Take out CJ for a third round back, and lets say Moss/TO played a full season, you would of had a decent team.

Yeh the autodraft screwed me by taking another WR in the 3rd spot where I would have grabbed RB's with my next 2 or 3 picks in a live draft - and of course Moss and T.O.'s season's doomed my strategy. I usually draft 8 - 12 teams (yes, I do have a life, lol - I'm a full time stay-at-home Mr Mom to my 3 yr old so I have lots of time to play) so maybe I'll try it again this year with a live draft.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Stelly » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:17 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
PACKman1144 wrote:Did anybody draft WR/WR in a league that they played in last year, where every owner was active?

I'm curious to see the results.

I did one last year to see how it would work but it was an autopick - it was a 10 teamer and unfortunately for me, lol, an active league. My picks by round:
1) R Moss
2) T Owens
3) C Johnson
4) C Brown
5) T Bell
6) M Hasselbeck
7) R McMichael
8) Pittsburgh
9) J Elam
10) R Brown (RB)
11) P Burress
12) C Rogers
13) D Carr
14) Chicago
!5) J Putzier

My record was a measly 4-10-0, good enough for 9th place, even after adding a couple more running backs later like Anderson and Parker. I know I had better luck when I did it 2 years ago but I can't find that team right now. Maybe not the best example being an autodraft.

That's because you went way way way too light on the RBs.

I don't think people are really comprehending the point in the WR/WR draft totally. It doesn't just mean taking two or more WRs and then picking up two mid-round RBs and filling out the rest of your team....that won't work. The strategy involves grabbing those first couple WRs and then LOADING UP on the mid-round RBs. Those mid-round RBs may look good now, but they have an enormously high bust rate so it's going to take 5 or 6 of them in addition to some luck to get even two quality starters.

If you go WR in your first two picks, AT LEAST four of your next five picks should be RBs, and you should look to add a few more after that as well. When all is said and done you want 6 or 7 of those guys.

I agree with the WR/WR strategy to SOME extent. However I feel like regardless of your draft position, you can take a RB in round 1 and still get TWO top tier WR's in rounds 2 and 3. No sense in reaching for a stud WR in round 1 when you can get similar quality in rounds 2 and 3. Of course this just depends on your ranking. I, for example, have 8 WR's in the "top tier"

S.Smith
T.Owens
C.J.
Holt
M.Harrison
L.Fitzgerald
C.Chambers
R.Moss

So I can take a RB in round 1 and still have a good chance of nabbing two of these guys, especially if I'm drafting 1-6 or so. If you have a late pick, then maybe you can get two quality RB's in round 1.

So I'm thinking if my pick ends up being early, I"ll go RB/WR/WR. Otherwise I may go RB/RB/WR/WR depending on who's available at RB towards the end of round 1.

I'm going to agree with you. I'm picking at 1.8 in a ten team league. I have Steve Smith as a keeper in the third round. I'm going to go RB in round 1. Round 2, I would like to see a nice RB2 fall to me, but if not, I have no problem going RB/WR/WR. If I have the choice between T.O., a sure-thing WR, one of those RBs with question marks (ie, McGahee), I'd be inclined to grab TO.

If can grab a guy like Dunn in Round 4 who's going to put up similar numbers to McGahee, why not grab T.O.?
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dexter II » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Interesting to see the WR/WR applied in a 12 team (with IDP) experts draft.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/fantasy/story/9531022

1st 6 picks:
1.12 Steve Smith
2.1 Chad Johnson
3.12 Deuce McCallister
4.1 Cedric Benson
5.12 Lawrence Maroney
6.1 Derrick Mason
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:48 pm

See it could have given him a shot if he had a clue. At 3/4 he had his choice of deuce/parker/benson/tjones/foster/addai/bell and he took Deuce and Benson. That killed him. He should have went with Parker and/or Foster for sure there. They are both starters and give him stability to a point. At least one of them with Benson and I could have been ok.

Then to compound it he takes Maroney and Mason in the 5/6 turnaround. Again he killed himself. I can see Maroney if you stretch, but Gore and Brown were both on board. You have to load up on RB's.

So he could've had:

SSmith
CJohnson
WParker
CBenson
FGore
CBrown
AGreen

Now you have people who at least will start at the beginning of the season, some nice upside as well.

Now this isn't as strong as I would think as he missed out on a few good grabs by a pick or two, which is the gamble with this strategy.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 pm

In each of these mocks I see at least 2 RBs falling 1-2 full rounds past when they should. All of this recent data about WR/WR strategy has convinced me of two things:

1) It only works in smaller leagues 10-8 teams.
2) It only gives a big advantage if your not drafting with smart drafters.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk