Jerky? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Jerky?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jerky?

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:33 pm

Anyone make their own jerky? If so what do i need and how do i go about doing it? Any other info is appreciated. Im addicted to it and its not exactly cheap the way i eat it! Any help would be appreciated!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dolfin99 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:59 pm

My dad used to make it, I will try and get in touch with him and get that info to you (assuming he still knows how :-? )

I like jerky as well, but I cannot stand the sweet kind :-P
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:08 pm

danielrp wrote:My dad used to make it, I will try and get in touch with him and get that info to you (assuming he still knows how :-? )

I like jerky as well, but I cannot stand the sweet kind :-P

Im more of an old school regular flavored jerky kinda guy. I dont care that much for the flavors. Although there is a fire hot one i dont mind.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ChyBoy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Jerky is actually pretty easy to make. Everything you need you can get at Walmart. They should have jerky mix there and a jerky gun. Just add ground beef, venison, turkey or whatever you want. Then you can bake it in your oven, but it is alot better in a dehydrator. I use Nesco American Harvest Jerky Spice Works. The package has all the directions you need.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:11 pm

you can get jerky kits and makers at walmart. If your local store doesn't have them, check wally world online.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:02 pm

I had a friend that used to make his own. He had a special plastic circular dehydrator that he put the jerky in to finish it.

something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RONCO-FOOD-DEHYDRAT ... dZViewItem

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:23 am

Dude! Haven't you ever seen the infomercial for the Ronco Food Dehydrator?? That's the stuff! ;-D

Yeah, he took the meat, cut it really thin, put in a bunch of soy sauce and other stuff, plus a little liquid smoke (or brown sugar I guess works too) and soaked it for like 10 minutes. Then he put it in the dehydrator, and that was that.

I haven't seen that one in a long time...but I still remember a lot of it! :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:10 am

If you have a dehydrator then it will come out pretty good but you don't need one. You can use your oven to dry the steak out.

I use Flank Steak, but you can probably use any type you want. Flank seems to be easiest to cut into strips.

I basically take a big slab of flank steak (or two or three, it's good to make a lot at once and you can eat it for like a week straight - you might get the runs though!). I cut it into strips of beef fairly thin (like 1/4 inch wide maybe, but it's up to you). I like to cut WITH the grain of the beef, but some prefer the opposite. Just experiment.

Anyway, once you have a bunch of strips of beef you basically spice it up however you want. Typically I'll use a little garlic salt, minced onions, and pepper. I like to make a "brine" or maranading sauce, but this will have a lot of sodium, here's how to do that:

Get a big huge bowl. In it I like to use soy sauce and worchshester (sp?) sauce. You'll need to experiment with the amounts to see how much you like of each. I like to do more soy than worchester myself. Again, this will be high in sodium so you can always try low-sodium soy sauce (it's not too bad tasting). So, pour in the two sauces into the bowl and sprinkle in a bunch of minced onions, pepper, and whatever else you want (again experiment). Stir it all up. Put all the strips of beef in the bowl and let it all sit there for a while. I actually only let it sit for like 45 minutes at the most but I guess if you wanted it to be really strong you could let it sit longer.

Then just cook it. I have found an outside smoker works best by far. I take shish-ka-bob spears and stick them through the steak, like 10-15 pieces on one stick. I hang them in a smoker and cook them in there. You CAN cook it other ways, like broil it (maybe, never tried that myself though), or even on a foreman grill or on a regular gas grill.

Once it's cooked you can actually eat it like that. It's VERY good this way, but you may want to dry it out. If so you can use, again, a dehydrator, or you can actually use your oven. How? Easy. Get some foil and put it on the bottom of your oven because the steak will drip sauce/juice all over it and get the oven very dirty if you don't do this. After that you basically just hang each stick of steak on the oven racks so they're all hanging there in the oven. Put the oven on a VERY low (lowest) temperature setting and let it sit there for several hours.

Basically you just take a piece out and taste it to see if it's dried out and done or not. If not, let them sit longer.

Really you'll need to experiment and mess around to get it just right and get it all the way you want, but hopefully this description will help you get started!
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:43 am

A real man's breakfast. Jerky in tabasco sauce.

I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:04 pm

Excellent, thanks for all the help. Bag that post was very helpful ;-D

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to General Talk