Chester Taylor a bust. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chester Taylor a bust.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chester Taylor a bust.

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Am I the only one that thinks Taylor's not going to fare too well? Is he not the Kevan Barlow of 2004? Talented RB on a not-so-talented offense with other RB's nipping at his heels?

I don't know, with guys like Warrick Dunn and Willie Parker being drafted around the same spot as Taylor, I'd go with Dunn and Parker. At least those guys have 1,200 yard seasons under their belt. They may not be TD mavens, but who honestly thinks the Vikes are going to get to the goal-line often enough to make C.Taylor a TD maven himself?

At least with guys like DUnn and FWP you know you're going to get your yardage. With Taylor, you aren't going to get the TD's and you may not get the yardage either.

I'll be surprised if Taylor cracks the 1,000 yard mark in rushing.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:43 pm

Kevan Barlow was running behind a 49ers offensive line that was terrible.

Chester Taylor is running behind McKinnie, Birk, Hutchinson, and Richardson. Plus he is going 2-3 rounds later than Barlow did that year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:46 pm

I've never been impressed with Taylor. Unless he falls a bit, he won't be on many of my teams.

I would definitely rather have Dunn.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Steve_L » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:52 pm

The Minnesota offense won't be that great, but the run game will. They will have 3 probowl calliber lineman in Mckinnie, Birk, and Hutch. I personally am a big fan of Chester going into this season and I don't really think the comparison is even close to Barlow. Barlow was on a far worse offense with the worst line in the NFL. Taylor is going to be on a decent offense with one of if not the best line in the NFL. I think getting him as the 15-20th back is great value for a back that has a ton of upside. Even if he doesn't cross the 1000 yard mark for rushing, he will have a lot of receiving yards in the west coast offense, he will be used similar to Westbrook through the air.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:24 pm

Chester Taylor has no competition. The Vikings lost their top 3 backups over the last three years this offseason in Michael Bennett, Onterrio Smith, and Moe Williams. Does Ciatrick Fason really scare you? Mewelde Moore will be primarily utilized as a returner with Koren receiving a bigger role in the passing game. I'd give the Vikings running game nearly IDENTICAL to the Eagles with Westbrook who (according to AntSports) has an ADP of 2.03. Now, I'm not recommending taking Taylor alongside Westy because Westbrook has a better track record (obviously), but I'd like to think Taylor will put up very similar numbers. Then again, I'm a Vikings fan so take this opinion as you will.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mystykoekaki » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:36 pm

Wow, a bunch of haters I guess. He is running behind a more solid line then last year, actually a pretty freakin decent line to be exact. I just wish I was in your league to snipe my man Taylor.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Crippler » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:39 pm

I didnt have much time to make this decision because Taylor was taken VERY high in my $$$ draft. I took Dunn quite a few picks after Taylor, even though I'm in a yardage heavy league. I dont know what the guy was thinking, but i've already taken a few cheap cracks at the rest of his team ;) poor guy

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby biju » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:55 pm

My opinion has always been that he's not a good goal line and short yardage back. Maybe that's not the case but there's a reason why the Ravens kept a very unhappy Jamal Lewis over Chester Taylor.

That being said, the Vikings O-line stands to be pretty good this year. The big trick is if they have a good passing game. If they do, they'll create room for Taylor to run. If they don't you're going to hear what sounds like a 200 pound woodpecker every Sunday. That will be the guys that drafted Taylor in the 3rd round collectively banging their heads against a wall.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:31 pm

Minnesota has one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this season. I could see Chestor Taylor having a Lamont like season this year with the utter lack of other weapons around him. I expect him to catch 40-50+ balls this year, and that alone is enough to make him a solid enough RB#2 without many TDs at all.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby ROYALWITCHEESE » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:56 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Minnesota has one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this season. I could see Chestor Taylor having a Lamont like season this year with the utter lack of other weapons around him. I expect him to catch 40-50+ balls this year, and that alone is enough to make him a solid enough RB#2 without many TDs at all.

Well if you draft him don't play him in week one. They are going to get smashed on MNF.
ROYALWITCHEESE
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk