Chester Taylor a bust. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chester Taylor a bust.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby giants! » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:27 am

bagobonez wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Minnesota has one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this season. I could see Chestor Taylor having a Lamont like season this year with the utter lack of other weapons around him. I expect him to catch 40-50+ balls this year, and that alone is enough to make him a solid enough RB#2 without many TDs at all.

Exactly ... with such a crappy WR corps, and with a weak-armed, West Coast QB, Chesty is a pickup with his receptions alone. And the left side of his line is going to be crazy, with Hutch and McKinnie. Add excellent blocking FB Tony Richardson in the mix, and you have a pretty good pickup.

I'm drafting him in the third, depending on who falls.

No thanks. If I'm deciding between CHester Taylor and say... a WR like Randy Moss or Chris Chambers, give me the WR.

Chambers and Moss should be going a round or two before taylor. And whoever said Lamont did decent should check the stats from last year- 1600 total yards and 11 touchdowns in a shortened season is pretty damn good.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigGAME101 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:23 pm

http://vikings.scout.com/2/542320.html

This is a good little article with updates on the situation. The article suggests the very essence of the thread title. You would think that the $5 mil he got in guarentees would be motivation enough for a guy who still has a lot of proving to do. But this type of scenario is becoming a commonality in the NFL (and every other sport for that matter).

Not to say that Taylor is or will be a bust, but it seems to be much more likely as the weeks progess. It is situations like this (ones in which seemingly hard-wroking players fall off after big paydays) where I gain an increasing respect for those players who are constantly working to become the best they can in spite of their dollar value.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Doc19 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:10 pm

I think people misunderstood my Jordan comments... I was merely making the comparison of a RB that was previously a backup coming into be the starter on a different team, much like Jordan did last year -- it was intended to be a favorable comparison for Taylor... although it does sound like perhaps he is not as excited about his opportunity as he should be...
Doc19
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:04 pm

Based on the situation, Taylor looks to be a good pickup. Childress is the new coach and knows offense. Even better is that they hired Pat Morris who is one of the best OLine coaches in the game. The Oline added in Hutchinson to go with McKinne and Birk is coming back from a missed '05 season. That's 3 guys with Pro Bowl potential. In addition they added in Richardson at FB. As a RB you oculdn't ask for a much better situation.

BUT, Taylor is apparently being an idiot. He was known as one of the hardest workers in Ravens camps when he was always fighting for the starting spot. Now that he is all the support in the world to be the number 1, he is training so bad that the staff is now saying he has no guarantee to be the number 1 guy.

I think it's a situation you have to monitor to see if Taylor can get his act in gear. If he can, he should put up nice numbers with this offense built around the run game.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Azrael » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:20 pm

Excluding the fact that Taylor is seemingly lazy, I loved him in this situation. He has the skills to excel.

2 things people are missing:

1. I've said this a bagillion times, if you wait until a player proves himself before you want him, you've already lost. This is the essence of "value". It's why middle round picks can win you championships.

2. The Vikings have massively upgraded what makes great fantasy running backs...their O-line. It's why Holmes and LJ were great; it's why Alexander was great; it's why all those Denver RBs were great. Addition of Hutchinson, a healthy Birk, and Tony Richardson, should lead Taylor to fantasy stardom, but he's apparently being stupid about it.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:24 pm

i like him as a #3 RB...borderline #2
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Anyone heard anything else on how Taylor is doing?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby bigGAME101 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:07 am

Azrael wrote:Anyone heard anything else on how Taylor is doing?

This one reports that the Job is Taylor's to lose.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 913&spln=1

And this one pretty much is the detailed overview of the latter.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=107165

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aussieboy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:26 am

he Oline added in Hutchinson to go with McKinne and Birk is coming back from a missed '05 season. That's 3 guys with Pro Bowl potential. In addition they added in Richardson at FB.

I don't think this can be emphasised enough. IF Chester is willing to work and make the job his own, then he has every chance to succeed. If he wants to be a bum then nothing can save him.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TBONED » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:48 pm

The only situation Taylor does not appeal to me in is a Dynasty league. He may be good for one year or two, but he is not young.(27 YEARS OLD BY THE TIME THE SEASON BEGINDS)

He could be a stud this year in redraft leagues. Just look at the numbers Holmes and LJ put up running with Richardson.
YOU'VE BEEN TBONED
TBONED
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk