Redzone tendencies (another must read!) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Redzone tendencies (another must read!)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby houstonherdfan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:53 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Anyone notice that the "Big 3" RB's teams are in the top 3 in percentage of Rushing TDs. I guess that would make sense. Whats weird is that the 4th team is Houston.

If you look at houston the % is high but the actual number is low. there are 7 teams behind them that scored more TD's but % was lower. Meaning they got there more but forwhatever reason scored less by rushing.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:55 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Anyone notice that the "Big 3" RB's teams are in the top 3 in percentage of Rushing TDs. I guess that would make sense. Whats weird is that the 4th team is Houston.

If you look at houston the % is high but the actual number is low. there are 7 teams behind them that scored more TD's but % was lower. Meaning they got there more but forwhatever reason scored less by rushing.

yeah i had figured that what with their horrid offense last year.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:58 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Great stuff Bag.

This is exactly the reason people I've been saying that people are wildly underestimating the loss of Saunders/Vermeil in KC. There is no one that forcefeeds the ball to the RB inside the 20 like they do. 1st in rush TDs inside the 20, 30th in pass TDs.

Now I guess the question is was it more Vermeil or more Saunders. The fact that we saw the same with Faulk when Vermeil was there (Martz was the OC, and he certainly didn't feed the RBs inside the 20 when Vermeil left town) lends to the idea that it was more Vermeil, but if it was more Saunders then Portis could be huge this year.

That's what kind of concerns me about Larry Johnson. I'm not sure I trust Herm Edwards to give him the ball like Vermeil did. That and I'm still bitter about the year I drafted Curtis Martin and Herm Edwards found a way to get C-Mart into the end zone all of twice.

I really don't think that Herm Edwards had anything to do with CMart only finding the end zone twice that year. I think it had more to do with the offensive coordinator and the 10 other guys on the field with CMart.

If anything, Herm Edwards gave CMart the ball too much during his tenure in NY. Every year they said they wanted to spell CMart by giving Jordan or whoever 8-10 carries a game and it never happened. CMart got all the carries and it's not Herm's fault that the team wasn't good enough to have CMart score more TD's.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Herm will give LJ the ball a lot. LJ & the team around him are good enough that he won't have any problems finding the endzone...OFTEN.

PS: One other thing that hurt the Jets running game during those years was that they were playing from behind a lot. That's another thing that shouldn't happen with the Chiefs.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Re: Redzone tendencies (another must read!)

Postby biju » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:01 am

bagobonez wrote:The following stats cover from 2003-2005. The percentage indicates what percentage of the time a TD was scored once the offense entered the red zone. It does not include TD's scored from outside of the red zone. It's broken down by rushing, then passing. The number in parenthesis is the total number of TD's scored by each team from 03-05.

FOr example, the first numbers you see are KC's rushing stats. They scored a rushing TD 43.7% of the time they entered the red zone. They scored 73 TD's total from 03-05. Enjoy.

This is a fantastic post! Just out of curiosity, where did you get these numbers?

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Redzone tendencies (another must read!)

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:30 am

biju wrote:
bagobonez wrote:The following stats cover from 2003-2005. The percentage indicates what percentage of the time a TD was scored once the offense entered the red zone. It does not include TD's scored from outside of the red zone. It's broken down by rushing, then passing. The number in parenthesis is the total number of TD's scored by each team from 03-05.

FOr example, the first numbers you see are KC's rushing stats. They scored a rushing TD 43.7% of the time they entered the red zone. They scored 73 TD's total from 03-05. Enjoy.

This is a fantastic post! Just out of curiosity, where did you get these numbers?

;-D

Can't tell ya, but it's a reliable source. Don't want to risk copyright infringement or whatever.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby citybirds27 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:43 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I'm digging the KC kicker this season. Herm Edwards is gonna have trouble getting into the redzone at all.

why would you think that? Having one of the best RBs and TEs makes it tough to get into the endzone?? :-?

That's usually how I rank my kickers, by how bad their offense is (not saying I would draft the worst offensive teams' kickers but like average onces)
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:53 pm

BUMP. Sorry for bumping this, I just hate digging through the archives to find it. It's handy when you're trying to decide who to draft.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby monkey69 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I'm digging the KC kicker this season. Herm Edwards is gonna have trouble getting into the redzone at all.

With Roaf and Welbourn retiring - I would have to agree. They had to keep Gonzalez in to block more and their WR are the same ones they had last year. So less TDs - and more kicking
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk