Minor League Manager Explodes (baseball post) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Minor League Manager Explodes (baseball post)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Minor League Manager Explodes (baseball post)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:42 pm

The manager of a Single-A team threw a conniption fit onfield after a call went against his team.

This is making huge headlines, but this sort of thing happens every day. I personally witnessed a very similar explosion by a manager from a visiting team here in our Independent league when the 1B umpire called not one but two of their guys out at First when they were CLEARLY safe (neither call was even very close). The guy went ballistic and tossed the bat rack, helmets, spare gloves, bottles, etc. out on the field. He took up almost ten minutes with his tirade, and we all loved it.

You can see video of the Single-A guy here. There's no video of the guy I saw. Too bad, too - it was great.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Minor league manager Joe Mikulik had a major league tantrum Sunday night.

The manager of the Asheville Tourists, a Class-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies in the South Atlantic League, turned Applebee's Park into a one-man show following a close call at second base in the fifth inning of a 5-2 loss to Lexington Legends. (Click here for video of the incident.)

Lexington's Koby Clemens -- whose famous father Roger made a tuneup start for the Legends this month after re-signing with the Houston Astros -- was leading off second base after hitting an RBI double when Asheville pitcher Brandon Durden tried to pick him off.

Umpire Andy Russell called Clemens safe, sending Mikulik roaring out of the dugout and setting off a prolonged tirade that he carried all over the infield and into the dugout.

"I thought the strike was over," Mikulik told the Lexington Herald-Leader. "When will the real umpires show up? That's what I want to know. Because that was an abortion. That was bad. The whole series was awful."

Mikulik's antics started innocently enough with an animated argument with Russell, who then threw Mikulik out of the game.

Things quickly escalated after his ejection. Mikulik dove into second base, ripped up the bag and hurled it onto the infield dirt. He threw a resin bag into the bullpen, covered home plate with dirt and then cleaned it with a water bottle, which he finally spiked onto the plate.

Back in the dugout, he tossed several bats onto the field. And he didn't stop once he got to the clubhouse, according to team officials. Mikulik pushed a couple of water coolers, a chair and a batting practice screen in front of the umpires' locker room.

"I just wish the umpire's association would train their young men to have a personality," he said. "I could get two mannequins at Sears and umpire better than what I saw this whole series."

Despite redecorating half the infield, Mikulik said he's not worried about running into trouble with South Atlantic League president John Henry Moss.

"I already talked to John Henry, I've got that covered," he said. "This ain't my first rodeo. ... I didn't touch anybody. I never bumped anybody. ... I actually cleaned home plate for them, so they should give me a tip for that."
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:53 pm

Yeah, I posted the YouTube video of that guy on my MySpace today. :-B

I like manager blowups...although when he was throwing the bats on the field, he almost hit some players. That's a big-time no no.

;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby citybirds27 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:56 pm

Yah, I saw this on ESPN yesterday. 8-o 8-o
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The_Captain » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:00 pm

Never saw an adult man throw a temper tantrum a 2 year old would be proud of......

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:19 pm

The_Captain wrote:Never saw an adult man throw a temper tantrum a 2 year old would be proud of......

You must not watch much baseball, then. This happens somewhere in baseball once a week. :-D ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:55 pm

knapplc wrote:
The_Captain wrote:Never saw an adult man throw a temper tantrum a 2 year old would be proud of......

You must not watch much baseball, then. This happens somewhere in baseball once a week. :-D ;-D

This guy took it to another level though. He was drying to make mud pies on the dish.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:13 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:

This guy took it to another level though. He was drying to make mud pies on the dish.

Not kidding - I saw a tantrum to rival that (aside from the mud pie on home plate) last week at the Lincoln Saltdogs game. Somewhere in baseball someone has a meltdown just like this all the time.

It makes the game fun. The guy in the game I saw kicked dirt everywhere, tossed First base, threw out bats and helmets and water bottles and screamed at every umpire from about an inch from their face at least once before leaving by the exit furthest from his dugout.

I can't say because I didn't see this play, but the guy who got tossed in the game I saw had a legitimate gripe - both of his guys were safe but both were called out.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Every guy that pulls a stunt like this should be canned. It's childish and immature, and at times dangerous, and if you and I can't do it at work and still have a job, neither should these guys. Get a life and grow up.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Every guy that pulls a stunt like this should be canned. It's childish and immature, and at times dangerous, and if you and I can't do it at work and still have a job, neither should these guys. Get a life and grow up.

The umps are not the manager's bosses. That's how it's different. As a matter of fact, throwing tantrums (maybe not quite to this extent) is part of a manager's job.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:31 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Every guy that pulls a stunt like this should be canned. It's childish and immature, and at times dangerous, and if you and I can't do it at work and still have a job, neither should these guys. Get a life and grow up.

No, no, no. I totally disagree. I can't spit chew all over the floor at my job, either. We shouldn't can guys for doing that in a dugout.

This is part of the game. They'll fine him $100 or something but the bottom line is the league is happy about it because it's entertaining, and as long as nobody gets hurt it's all good.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk