Warren Buffett - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Warren Buffett

Moderator: Football Moderators

Warren Buffett

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:06 pm

I'm sure most of you have heard of this already. It's being talked about pretty thoroughly here, since Buffet lives here. I once saw Buffet eating in a Burger King, believe it or not. That was over 10 years ago.

Warren Buffet To Donate $37 Billion To Gates Foundation

June 26, 2006 2:22 p.m. EST

Julie Farby - All Headline News Staff Writer
New York, NY (AHN)-Warren Buffett, the world's second-richest person, is donating about $37 billion-more than 80 percent of his fortune-to foundations run by his friend Bill Gates and by the Buffett family.

The announcement by the 75-year-old Buffett comes just days after Microsoft Chairman Gates said he would move away from his day-to-day role at the software giant to focus more on charity work, and highlights the close friendship of the world's two richest men.

According to the Reuters report, the 50-year-old Gates is a bridge partner of Buffett's and a director of Berkshire Hathaway, Buffett's investment firm. Buffett also serves on the board of the Washington Post Co. with Gates' wife Melinda.

According to Stacy Palmer, editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy, Buffet's donation is the largest commitment to a philanthropic cause ever made by one person in the United States. Palmer says, "Even if you look at what (John D.) Rockefeller and (Andrew) Carnegie gave historically -- even if you do it in today's numbers, it doesn't come close to that."

The Gates foundation is one of the world's richest philanthropic organizations-committing millions of dollars to fighting diseases such as malaria and tuberculosis in developing countries, and to education and library technology in the United States.

According to Forbes magazine, Buffett, chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway, is worth an estimated $44 billion, making him the world's second-richest man behind Gates, who is worth about $50 billion.

In a letter to Gates and his wife, Buffett writes: "You have committed yourselves to a few extraordinarily important but underfunded issues, a policy that I believe offers the highest probability of your achieving goals of great consequence."
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:08 pm

No Uncle Warren!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Damnit!!! There goes my hope of living in sinful luxury after that old geezer dies. :~( :~( :~(
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:35 pm

knapplc wrote:No Uncle Warren!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Damnit!!! There goes my hope of living in sinful luxury after that old geezer dies. :~( :~( :~(

You laugh, but I bet that's what all of his relatives are saying right now.

But really, what can you do with $44 billion that you can't do with $7 billion?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:37 pm

onnestabe wrote:

Give me $8 billion...? :-?

;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:00 pm

onnestabe wrote:

Exactly, and Buffet is the kind of man to figure that out. What does he care how much money he has? After a billion or so dollars, you're not going to get "more" rich except on paper. After a certain level you can do EVERYTHING you want, so who cares if you have more?

Do you think he lives in Omaha because he's looking for the best the world has to offer? :-D

I read something in a book about Alexander the Great - Alexander had conquered India and was riding through a town. Alexander's men are trying to move some gymnosophists - Indian wise men - off the road so the king may pass through. The wise men refuse to budge. In frustration a Macedonian officer demands, "This man has conquered the world! What have you done?"

The philosopher replied without an instant's hesitation, "I have conquered the need to conquer the world."

Buffet is that Wise Man. He has conquered the need to be rich.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:18 pm

knapplc wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

Exactly, and Buffet is the kind of man to figure that out. What does he care how much money he has? After a billion or so dollars, you're not going to get "more" rich except on paper. After a certain level you can do EVERYTHING you want, so who cares if you have more?

Do you think he lives in Omaha because he's looking for the best the world has to offer? :-D

I read something in a book about Alexander the Great - Alexander had conquered India and was riding through a town. Alexander's men are trying to move some gymnosophists - Indian wise men - off the road so the king may pass through. The wise men refuse to budge. In frustration a Macedonian officer demands, "This man has conquered the world! What have you done?"

The philosopher replied without an instant's hesitation, "I have conquered the need to conquer the world."

Actually, that is the wrong answer, knapp. The correct answer to the question, "what can you do with $44 billion that you can't do with $7 billion?" is, "whatever you did with your $7 billion 5.286 more times" :-D

Oh, and this may be a little off topic, but I've been wondering: When did Margaritaville get popular enough to generate $44 billion of net worth for this guy? I mean, it's a good song, and I like to get away to the beach as much as the next guy, but come on.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby jayday » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:01 pm

knapplc wrote:I read something in a book about Alexander the Great - Alexander had conquered India and was riding through a town. Alexander's men are trying to move some gymnosophists - Indian wise men - off the road so the king may pass through. The wise men refuse to budge. In frustration a Macedonian officer demands, "This man has conquered the world! What have you done?"

You wouldn't be dragging Alexander's name through the mud due to your man crush on Caesar would you? ;-)

That's an amazing donation on Buffet's part....I'm sure his family will still be plenty taken care of on that measly 7 billion ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:37 pm

onnestabe wrote:
knapplc wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

Actually, that is the wrong answer, knapp. The correct answer to the question, "what can you do with $44 billion that you can't do with $7 billion?" is, "whatever you did with your $7 billion 5.286 more times" :-D

Oh, and this may be a little off topic, but I've been wondering: When did Margaritaville get popular enough to generate $44 billion of net worth for this guy? I mean, it's a good song, and I like to get away to the beach as much as the next guy, but come on.

Are u trying to be sarcastic? If not, you got the wrong Buffet..

This Buffet was an investor, actually considered the best investor ever, which suits right if your the 2nd richest man in the world.

Jimmy Buffet song that song, but he was actaully good friends with Warren Buffet
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:26 pm

Alkaholik wrote:
onnestabe wrote:
knapplc wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

This Buffet was an investor, actually considered the best investor ever, which suits right if your the 2nd richest man in the world.

Jimmy Buffet song that song, but he was actaully good friends with Warren Buffet

Yes, he was being sarcastic. ;-) :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:30 pm

knapplc wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:
onnestabe wrote:
knapplc wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

Yes, he was being sarcastic. ;-) :-D

A :-D face after that paragraph he wrote, woulda sealed the deal for me.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Next

Return to General Talk