Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:24 pm

Alkaholik wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:
onnestabe wrote:
knapplc wrote:
onnestabe wrote:
knapplc wrote:No Uncle Warren!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Damnit!!! There goes my hope of living in sinful luxury after that old geezer dies. :~( :~( :~(

You laugh, but I bet that's what all of his relatives are saying right now.

But really, what can you do with $44 billion that you can't do with $7 billion?

Exactly, and Buffet is the kind of man to figure that out. What does he care how much money he has? After a billion or so dollars, you're not going to get "more" rich except on paper. After a certain level you can do EVERYTHING you want, so who cares if you have more?

Do you think he lives in Omaha because he's looking for the best the world has to offer? :-D

I read something in a book about Alexander the Great - Alexander had conquered India and was riding through a town. Alexander's men are trying to move some gymnosophists - Indian wise men - off the road so the king may pass through. The wise men refuse to budge. In frustration a Macedonian officer demands, "This man has conquered the world! What have you done?"

The philosopher replied without an instant's hesitation, "I have conquered the need to conquer the world."

Buffet is that Wise Man. He has conquered the need to be rich.

Actually, that is the wrong answer, knapp. The correct answer to the question, "what can you do with $44 billion that you can't do with $7 billion?" is, "whatever you did with your $7 billion 5.286 more times" :-D

Oh, and this may be a little off topic, but I've been wondering: When did Margaritaville get popular enough to generate $44 billion of net worth for this guy? I mean, it's a good song, and I like to get away to the beach as much as the next guy, but come on.

Are u trying to be sarcastic? If not, you got the wrong Buffet..

This Buffet was an investor, actually considered the best investor ever, which suits right if your the 2nd richest man in the world.

Jimmy Buffet song that song, but he was actaully good friends with Warren Buffet

Yes, he was being sarcastic. ;-) :-D

A :-D face after that paragraph he wrote, woulda sealed the deal for me.

You people and your emoticons. :-° :-b ;-) :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:30 pm

jayday wrote:
knapplc wrote:I read something in a book about Alexander the Great - Alexander had conquered India and was riding through a town. Alexander's men are trying to move some gymnosophists - Indian wise men - off the road so the king may pass through. The wise men refuse to budge. In frustration a Macedonian officer demands, "This man has conquered the world! What have you done?"

The philosopher replied without an instant's hesitation, "I have conquered the need to conquer the world."

You wouldn't be dragging Alexander's name through the mud due to your man crush on Caesar would you? ;-)

That's an amazing donation on Buffet's part....I'm sure his family will still be plenty taken care of on that measly 7 billion ;-D

No, no. I have real admiration for Alexander. Had he lived longer there's no telling what the world would look like today - he was a true legend. Remember that I supported Alexander all through the War bracket until he came up against Caesar.

Caesar was the shizzle. Plain and simple.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:53 pm

That is one hell of a donation 8-o

Glad to see that he is doing this. I agree that once you have so many billions, you do need anymore more money. I still would be pissed if I was his kid though :~(
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:03 pm

knapplc wrote:I read something in a book about Alexander the Great - Alexander had conquered India and was riding through a town. Alexander's men are trying to move some gymnosophists - Indian wise men - off the road so the king may pass through. The wise men refuse to budge. In frustration a Macedonian officer demands, "This man has conquered the world! What have you done?"

;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby citybirds27 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:05 pm

knapplc wrote:
onnestabe wrote:
knapplc wrote:No Uncle Warren!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Damnit!!! There goes my hope of living in sinful luxury after that old geezer dies. :~( :~( :~(

You laugh, but I bet that's what all of his relatives are saying right now.

But really, what can you do with $44 billion that you can't do with $7 billion?

Exactly, and Buffet is the kind of man to figure that out. What does he care how much money he has? After a billion or so dollars, you're not going to get "more" rich except on paper. After a certain level you can do EVERYTHING you want, so who cares if you have more?

Do you think he lives in Omaha because he's looking for the best the world has to offer? :-D

I read something in a book about Alexander the Great - Alexander had conquered India and was riding through a town. Alexander's men are trying to move some gymnosophists - Indian wise men - off the road so the king may pass through. The wise men refuse to budge. In frustration a Macedonian officer demands, "This man has conquered the world! What have you done?"

Wow I admire that ;-D ;-D

citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby suppasonic » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:01 am

So does he get like a free sticker or pin saying "I donated to the Gates Foundation" or something?
suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:35 am

Yes. I was being sarcastic. I figured the overall tone of the post was indicator enough of my sarcasm. Sorry for the confusion ;-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:47 pm

Props to the guy for donating the bulk of his wealth to charity. I wish more of the top 1% of the richest people in the world doing more with their money than just collecting more than they could ever use.

If his kids can't make do with maybe only a 1 billion dollars in inheritance, well then they clearly fail in the real game of life.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:19 pm

he is the majority shareholder of that stock that's at like 10 grand, right? Berkshire Hathaway. It's so huge it even has a spawn stock that is a fraction of the price.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:43 pm

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker