Not it! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Not it!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Not it!

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:48 am

Another in a long list of sad stories and then they wonder why kids stay inside and play video games and watch TV and get fat. Also, I think the article makes a very good point about teaching kids problem solving skills.

USA Today wrote:'Not it!' More schools ban games at recess

By Emily Bazar, USA TODAY
Some traditional childhood games are disappearing from school playgrounds because educators say they're dangerous.
Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Spokane, Wash., banned tag at recess this year. Others, including a suburban Charleston, S.C., school, dumped contact sports such as soccer and touch football.

In other cities, including Wichita; San Jose, Calif.; Beaverton, Ore.; and Rancho Santa Fe., Calif., schools took similar actions earlier.

The bans were passed in the name of safety, but some children's health advocates say limiting exercise and free play can inhibit a child's development.

Groups such as the National School Boards Association don't keep statistics on school games.

But several experts, including Donna Thompson of the National Program for Playground Safety, verify the trend. Dodge ball has been out at some schools for years, but banning games such as tag and soccer is a newer development.

"It's happening more," Thompson says. Educators worry about "kids running into one another" and getting hurt, she says.

In January, Freedom Elementary School in Cheyenne prohibited tag at recess because it "progresses easily into slapping and hitting and pushing instead of just touching," Principal Cindy Farwell says.

Contact sports were banned from recess at Charles Pinckney Elementary early this year, says Charleston County schools spokeswoman Mary Girault, because children suffered broken arms and dislocated fingers playing touch football and soccer.

Some schools that ban games at recess allow children to play them in gym class under supervision.

Critics of the bans say playing freely helps kids learn to negotiate rules and resolve disputes.

"They learn to change and to problem-solve," says Rhonda Clements, an education professor at Manhattanville College.

Joe Frost, emeritus professor of early childhood education at the University of Texas-Austin, sees playground restrictions as harmful.

"You're taking away the physical development of the children," he says. "Having time for play is essential for children to keep their weight under control."
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:59 am

Next month: No more books in school. Kids can drop them on their toes, or shut their fingers in the books, thereby hurting themselves. We have to make the safety of the children our highest concern - even higher than teaching them to live their lives. :-t
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:03 am

What is wrong with people??!!!! Tag and soccer you cant play at recess, so what do you do at recess?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:07 am

This infuriates me to no end. I don't know where to begin. .....

...... :-#
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:09 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:This infuriates me to no end. I don't know where to begin. .....

...... :-#

Careful you may get hurt, then they will ban fantasy football message boards.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:13 am

Don't worry, even if they were allowed to play tag, at the end everyone would be it so that nobody has to go home being it :-? :-# :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:15 am

I read that children, especially males, are prone to gender discrimination in public schools because they're more 'active' and hyper in class because they're boys. They are easily diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, since they don't behave like little girls. It's pathetic and frustrating. Next thing, parents are going to be charged for child abuse for allowing their children to play outdoors.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 am

there is still 4 square and tether ball. don't forget swings. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:52 am

More evidence that this country is going the wrong way... thank you sham-lawyers, "well intentioned" school administrators, and coddling parents for ruining our youth.

I cringe to think how the next 2 generations of kids turn out. :-[
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:53 am

They could just stand in a circle with their hands in their pockets and breathe deeply. That's unlikely to hurt anyone. ;-7
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk