Not it! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Not it!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:59 am

Yeah, its all just an attempt to avoid lawsuits.

When I was in elementary, my friends and I did all kinds of stupid stuff during recess because the teachers never really payed attention. We'd get going as high as we could in the swings and jump out. Flip off the monkey bars. Jump into the ditch full of stickers that was deeper than we were tall. Do flips in the jungle gym. All kinds of crazy stuff (for a 10 yr old). Not to mention playing b-ball on the concrete court lol

Now, that school is completely fenced in (there was absolutely no fences) The ditches are steep anymore. They have new, safer, equipment. I'm sure the teachers pay more attention now...
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 am

confused_jake wrote:I'm so tired of all of this stuff, last year in 10th grade gym they wouldnt even let us play dodgeball because someone could get hurt

That is an absolute crime right there. :-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:50 am

TTTBone wrote:
houstonherdfan wrote:I think it is probably more because of the potential for lawsuits more than anything else.

I say make all the lawyers stay afrter school.

Don't blame the lawyers.
It's the friggin' parents who look to solve their problems (and make a cash grab) that are the problem.
We, unfortunately, live in a litigious society where people are looking to the law to solve their littlest problems or to make a run at some easy cash.
Really leaves the schools with no other option.
I have several friends that are teachers or administrators in some of the local school systems, and the threat of litigation is one of their top problems.
Parents will sue at the drop of a hat.
Really binds the hands of what the educators are allowed to do.
You can badmouth lawyers all you want, but they're just doing the job they're hired for; it's the overly litigious people that hire them that are the real problem.
"Sue, sue, sue!!!!"
If you watch any TV, you know there are about 4-5 small claims reality "judge" shows out there, and a large portion of any news channel is devoted to current court cases (not to mention court TV). The law has it place when one is truly wronged, but the incessant influx of court based television seems to have formented a culture where many believe legal action is their first and best recourse to any given problem.
It is not always the best solution.
"Jimmy" is getting picked on during gym class or suffers an injury during recess... Talk to the school represenatives, come up with a plan to aleviate the situation.

Here's a rule to live by:
Litigation should be the last resort in any series of actions taken to come up with a viable solution to almost any problematic situation.

In far to many people's minds, it seems to be the first option.
:-t

Just my humble opinion.
So, does that qualify as a rant?
:-b

Good points, and true it isn't lawyers fault as they are doing their jobs. It is the legal system as a whole. If people did not receive large settlements for these frivolous lawsuits, then there would be no need to outlaw these types of activities.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Previous

Return to General Talk