2006 All Sleeper Team - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2006 All Sleeper Team

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby biju » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:42 am

biju wrote:
vikesfan78 wrote:
biju wrote:As always, the "sleeper" picks tend to depend on your definition of sleeper. In my case I'm picking players that I think given the highsight of the 2006 season you would pick at least 2 rounds higher than they went in your 10 team draft. Please note this is far from my "ideal" team. Also note this is based on mocks I've done in the last couple of months. I assume this will change closer to September.

QB: Jon Kitna/David Carr
RB: Ahman Green (too many people have written him off with the success of Gado)
RB: Deuce McAllister/Ron Dayne (I can't believe people still think Bell will be the starter)
WR: Koren Robinson (easy top 15 pick going in the mid-late rounds)
WR: Brandon Lloyd (I know folks who still think he's the #3 in Washington)
WR: Samie Parker (just a hunch)
TE: Heath Miller/Kellen Winslow (a possible WR starter now?)
D: Atlanta (only injuries stopped this crew last year)
K: nobody (who would pick a kicker earlier than the last round?)

KOREN ROBINSON EASY TOP 15 PICK

What league are you in I want to join. There is no way that Koren is a to 15 pick. Maybe 50 but no where near 15

Yeah, so that's what "sleeper" means.

I'm officially going on record so quote it, mock me, do what you need to do.

Koren Robinson will be a top 15 WR this year.

At least you're not going to spend anything more than a 10th round pick to find out and I like those odds.

Ok, I've sobered up a little and I realize what the workup is about...

I honestly didn't mean he should be a top 15 pick. I meant he'll be a top 15 WR. It's probably still a stretch, but probably not by as much as most people are thinking around here.

Ok, I'll take a look at this post in the morning and see what I've said wrong this time.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:05 pm

These players are all often found in the 10th round and later in 10-team leagues.

Quarterback

Billy Volek - Surely everyone remembers what he did with Drew Bennett in the second half of the 2004 season. If they start hooking up again, wouldn't you like to have Volek on your roster? Especially if your #1 QB went down with an injury?

Chris Simms - Imagine what a healthy Michael Clayton and Cadillac Williams will do for the youngster.

Kurt Warner - This one almost goes without saying. Everything is in place for Arizona - the Pro Bowl running back, the elite wide receivers, the new stadium...Warner just has to make it happen now.

Running Back

Greg Jones - Opening the season against Dallas, Pittsburgh, Indy, Washington, and the Jets, I'm betting that Jones will replace Fragile Freddy after the week six bye.

Frank Gore - Gore was utilized a ridiculous amount by the 49ers last year and averaged nearly 5 yards per carry. If he can stay healthy, he'll be the primary back.

Dee Brown - Why not take a chance on the backup for the well-oiled machine that is the Kansas City running game?

Wide Receiver

Reggie Brown - In a pass-happy system with one of the best QBs in the game (and now fully healthy) throwing to you, I like the outlook for McNabb's #1 WR. Brown may not make it to the tenth round, but if you miss out on him, Jabar Gaffney will surely be available in very late (15th or later) rounds.

Samie Parker - Eddie Kennison isn't getting any younger, and I like the flashes Parker showed last year. If you're a third-year WR theory believer, Parker is your man.

Matt Jones - An oft-discussed sleeper pick, there's no denying the chemistry he shared with Leftwich before Lord Byron went down with an injury last year. In a five game span last season, Jones scored four touchdowns, and Jimmy Smith is out of the way now.

Tight Ends

Kellen Winslow - I like what Cleveland did in the offseason, as well as the rapport supposedly developing between Frye and Winslow.

Zach Hilton - We all know what a big target he is, and how Brees likes his tight ends.

Vernon Davis - This guy is just too much a physical specimen to be ignored.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:20 pm

QB
Aaron Brooks
Kids never had trouble throwing the ball around the yard. He just loses games. I expect some big yardage and TD totals out of him this year with Randy Moss, Jerry Porter and Lamont Jordan racking up lots of catches. He'll get his fair share of interceptions though.

Josh McCown
Kitna is supposedly the starter in Detriot but with Martz's system in place i dont see how the weak armed Kitna will be able to run the show. The rams passing attack with Martz was predicated on the 20 yard out and the deep crossing patterns. McCowns got a big arm and has shown that he can win games when given the chance to start. I would expect McCown to get the majority of the starts this season.

RB
Jamal Lewis
i think we've talked this guy to death. see above.

Ryan Moats
Westbrook is not an everydown back. With Reids call for more running in the Eagles offense one would think that this would mean more of Moats. Last year in limited action Moats showed that he was an explosive back that could get the tough yards when needed. A must handcuff for Westbrook owners.

Jerious Norwood
Yeah he might be third string behind Dunn and Duckett but lets face it Duckett has had chances to prove that he can be an NFL starter, and hes never showed a thing. From what i have heard coaches in ATL are fed up with him. If Dunn goes down look for Norwood to get significant carries and with that great offensive line scheme that the falcons have that should translate into lots of yards.

WR
Micheal Clayton
Anyone remember 2004? i sure do. A year removed from knee injuries and an improved offensive line should mean a return to 2004 numbers for MClay.

Joe Jurevcious(sp?)
With Edwards injury it looks like JJ will be the No.1 reciever in Cleveland for the majority of the season. The only other big recieving threat is KWII. Looke for Charlie Frye to lean heavily on his veteran reciever.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:26 pm

QB: Jake Plummer - Just seems to be underrated. He was a top 12 quarterback last year, and now he adds a very talented WR in Javon Walker.
QB: Aaron Brooks - We saw what kind of numbers Kerry Collins put up last year with Moss, Porter, and Jordan to throw to. Brooks is possibly an upgrade at QB, who has always been a better fantasy QB than he is in real life.
RB: Cedric Benson - Not a real deep sleeper, but I think Benson takes over as the #1 RB in Chicago sooner rather than later.
RB: Curtis Martin - Who knows just how much he has left in the tank, but there is one thing I do know. He's a starting RB going at a point in the draft where all the starting runningbacks are gone. With the Jets improved O-line I dont see why Martin cant put up very solid RB3 numbers.
RB: Kevan Barlow - I've seen Gore mentioned several places as a sleeper, but I think most people have him ranked signifcantly higher than Barlow. I think there's a good chance Barlow wins the job. He's a bigger RB than Gore, so therefore possibly better fit to Norv Turner's system. He's also a better blocker and receiver, not to mention Gore's injury troubles. He's a good value as your 4th RB.
WR: Reggie Brown - I've been touting him as a sleeper for a while now. I liked what I saw fro him last year, and i think he will improve upon that this season.
WR: Michael Clayton - His terrible season last year can be attributed to a naggin injury. I'm expecting a bounceback season in 2006.
WR: Antonio Bryant - Very talented receiver who should be the #1 WR in San Fran. Not a great offense around him, but the O-line will be improved with Larry Allen and I think Alex Smith will be better in his second year.
TE: LJ Smith - Smith caught over 60 passes last season. With the Eagles team poised to have a better year, I dont see why LJ shouldnt easily be considered a top 10 TE.
TE: Ben Troupe - He does have Erron Kinney to compete with for catches, but I think Troupe is the more talented of the two and it will show this season. Going into his third season, I think he's ready for a breakout role in the Titans offense.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby michaelavelli » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:38 pm

terpfan wrote:RB: Curtis Martin - Who knows just how much he has left in the tank, but there is one thing I do know. He's a starting RB going at a point in the draft where all the starting runningbacks are gone. With the Jets improved O-line I dont see why Martin cant put up very solid RB3 numbers.

I see this a lot. Improved O-line. I think this is being overrated. I mean, obviously they added Ferguson and Mangold, two of the best prospect at their respective positions - but they also lost Fabini and Mawae. I don't think people are looking at what they LOST and just focusing on what they added (ie drafted).
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby daullaz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:40 pm

You can thank me later...

2006 All-Sleeper Team:

QB: Jake Plummer, Brett Favre
RB: Frank Gore, Cedric Benson, Ahman Green, Chris Brown
WR: Ernest Wilford, Eddie Kennison, Antonio Bryant, Nate Burelson
TE: L.J. Smith, Ben Watson
PK: Nate Kaeding, Ryan Longwell
DF: Seattle, San Diego
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelers39 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:08 pm

daullaz wrote:You can thank me later...

2006 All-Sleeper Team:

QB: Jake Plummer, Brett Favre
RB: Frank Gore, Cedric Benson, Ahman Green, Chris Brown
WR: Ernest Wilford, Eddie Kennison, Antonio Bryant, Nate Burelson
TE: L.J. Smith, Ben Watson
PK: Nate Kaeding, Ryan Longwell
DF: Seattle, San Diego

Looks good to me ;-D
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
steelers39
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:24 pm

michaelavelli wrote:
terpfan wrote:RB: Curtis Martin - Who knows just how much he has left in the tank, but there is one thing I do know. He's a starting RB going at a point in the draft where all the starting runningbacks are gone. With the Jets improved O-line I dont see why Martin cant put up very solid RB3 numbers.

I see this a lot. Improved O-line. I think this is being overrated. I mean, obviously they added Ferguson and Mangold, two of the best prospect at their respective positions - but they also lost Fabini and Mawae. I don't think people are looking at what they LOST and just focusing on what they added (ie drafted).

yes, rookie OL = good OL in 2-3 seasons... not this season!
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
michaelavelli wrote:

yes, rookie OL = good OL in 2-3 seasons... not this season!

Yeah, not so sure about the O-line, but he is a starting RB that is available well after a lot of backups have gone. Kinda reminds me of Emmitt Smith in his last year with the Cards. Another issue is that with all the Jets' QB issues, they will probably try to lean on the running game quite a bit. He may be old and on a crappy team, but he still provides better RB depth for you than a lot of the guys picked before him.

All that being said, I am targetting Cedric Houston in a lot of drafts this year.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:39 pm

Hmm.. maybe Im jsut blanking out but I thought Mawae was allready gone /not playing last season. Fabini, eh... But yeah I see your point. The OL isnt really the main point anyway, its the fact that he is almost always the last starting RB drafted, and he's going after a handful of RBBC backs as well.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk