Addai? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Addai?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:57 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:I dont understand why he is going so early and IN FRONT of Dominic Rhodes in redraft leagues.

Because he's better than Dominic Rhodes perhaps?

What insight.

Yeah, almost as good as yours. You can scroll down 5 inches and see a few paragraphs about it, or you could look around and see what basically amounts to about six dissertations I've written as to why Addai will be a better play than Rhodes this year on these forums. Nah, you don't have time for that, you're too busy with your sarcastic one-liners.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:59 pm

it just seemed curious that you had to have two posts before you contributed anything meaningful.

looks like FB took his mean pills today... ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:05 pm

My feelings on Rhodes...

Free Bagel wrote:That's easy to say without mentioning that the 32 (actually 31) year old has had a great (in football terms) career while the other guy has accomplished pretty much nothing in 5 years. Dillon is 31, and would be a better RB than Rhodes when he's 50.

Warrick Dunn is 31, and I'm 23. Does that make me a better RB? Rhodes just flat out isn't very good, it's painfully obvious when watching him.

There is a reason he's been on the bench his entire career, he's not a starting NFL RB. Can anyone think of the last guy to sit on the bench for a team for 5 years and eventually take over the starting role? Has it ever even happened?

If a guy is good enough to play, he'll play. If not on that team, then he'll draw enough interest from another team to be given the starting role there. Rhodes has garnered neither, and as soon as he looked to be thrust into the starting role, his team immediately went after a first round RB despite an opinion by some that there was no RB worth taking there while at the same time there were guys that presented great value at a position of need (OLB).

The Colts and Bill Polian (who is a brilliant drafter by the way....every one of the Colts superstars were drafted and they haven't had a first round bust in more than 10 years......TEN YEARS!!!) who have seen Rhodes up close an personal obviously don't have faith in him, why the heck should we?

Free Bagel wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Did you see Dillon play last year? The man looked OLD.

Still looked better than Rhodes to me.

Kensat30 wrote:

Warrick Dunn is 31, and I'm 23.

Warrick Dunn on the other hand looked terrific last season.

Alright...Corey Dillon is 31, and I'm 23 ;)

Kensat30 wrote:

Does that make me a better RB? Rhodes just flat out isn't very good, it's painfully obvious when watching him.

He couldn't be worse than what Dillon showed everyone last season.

I beg to differ.

Kensat30 wrote:
There is a reason he's been on the bench his entire career, he's not a starting NFL RB.

Or maybe it's because he was behind a sure-fire hall of famer in Edgerrin James (the true nucleus of the Colt's offense).

Not sure what you're missing here. I made it quite clear that I was saying he would've gotten a job somewhere by now. He was stuck behind Edge...so what? Jordan was stuck behind Martin...Chesta was stuck behind Lewis...Priest was stuck behind Lewis, etc.

If the guy is good enough to play, he'll get noticed by someone who will take him away. No one really ever made a serious play on Rhodes, because he's not good enough to warrant it.

Kensat30 wrote:
Can anyone think of the last guy to sit on the bench for a team for 5 years and eventually take over the starting role? Has it ever even happened?

If only the Jet's would have thought of this, they would have jumped on the Lamont bangwagon right as Curtis Martin was falling off his. Good RBs can stay with a team for a long time, it's hard to go with anybody else when what you have is working for you.

But Jordan didn't come in for Martin...and that's exactly the point, someone went and grabbed him. I'm still waiting for someone to give me an example of a RB that was a 5 year backup for a team and eventually took over that team's starting role. I really can't recall it ever happening.

Kensat30 wrote:
The Colts and Bill Polian (who is a brilliant drafter by the way....every one of the Colts superstars were drafted and they haven't had a first round bust in more than 10 years......TEN YEARS!!!) who have seen Rhodes up close an personal obviously don't have faith in him, why the heck should we?

You go with Bill Polian, I'll go with my gut.

Fair enough, but wasn't one of the reasons you like Maroney the fact that BB picked him (I could be thinking of someone else here)?

Kensat30 wrote:If they didn't believe Rhodes could play, why would they pay their backup RB $2+ mil a season to carry the ball 40 times? I'm [pretty sure most backup RBs don't make that kind of money.

Rhodes has value as what he is. A safe backup that also is very valuable on special teams. It may not be average backup pay, but it's a whole lot further away from the contracts starting RBs (even guys that are just becoming starting RBs) are signing right now.

Kensat30 wrote:And one more time, exactly how many RBs in the NFL are gonna start/steal the job over Edgerrin freaking James in the past 5 years? That's like saying Michael Turner is nothing because he can't beat out LT.

Again...you're missing the "somewhere". If Michael Turner is really any good 5 years into his career he'll have gotten his shot somewhere, even if it's not in San Diego someone else will pay.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby The Lung » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:20 pm

Fanball's John Tuvey weighs in on Addai.

For a variety of reasons—among them, the AFC South is my beat and I spent more time covering the NFL draft than anyone else on our staff outside of my esteemed colleague Jon Lopuch, whose obsession with young men and their 40 times, Wonderlic scores and tight bubbles borders on perversion—I have become the resident Joseph Addai guy.

I certainly don't mind this designation, and I must be doing a decent job at marketing the Colts' rookie running back because he's going off the board earlier and earlier in our mock drafts—and not always to me, either.

But the warm fuzzies for Addai aren't necessarily the consensus opinion. In roughly half of the competing fantasy football publications I've had a chance to peruse, Dominic Rhodes is rated higher than Addai. And our staff ranking appears to be roughly 10 spots higher than the industry average.

So, are we onto something, or just on something?

We won't truly know the answer to that until the Colts report for training camp and Tony Dungy doles out first-team reps. And even then, we should expect Rhodes to at least open camp atop the depth charts while Addai acclimates himself to the pro game.

But I'm reasonably confident Addai will wrest the gig away from Rhodes sooner rather than later, for a multitude of reasons.

He can run. You'd think this would be obvious for a running back, but I don't just mean Addai can run; I mean he can run. He's got Willie Parker speed, and you may remember the last time we saw Willie he was dashing 70-some yards past the Seahawks en route to a Super Bowl touchdown. Picture Addai taking that long handoff from Peyton Manning, spotting the hole, then exploding through it and—blink—he's gone; I'm reasonably sure Indy OC Tom Moore has had that dream more often than he'd be willing to admit. Addai is wearing No. 29, and his speed and style are already drawing comparisons to another Colt back who sported those digits. And if Eric Dickerson was before your time, let me assure you that he was pretty doggone good.

He can catch. Edgerrin James—you remember him, gold-toothed guy with the dreadlocks, played a little football in Indy up until a few months ago—caught 125 passes for 1,180 yards and nine touchdowns in his first two seasons as a Colt. That's back when he was the undisputed king of fantasy football. Indy still runs that same offense, and they'd love to be able to throw to a back like they did six or seven years ago. Addai gives them that opportunity, with pass-catching skills that had Manning gushing following minicamp workouts. Worst-case, that gets Addai on the field in third-down situations, with numbers approaching what Edge did in his youth as the upside.

He can block. So what? You don't get fantasy points for blocking, and if you do I want in on your league because that's major-league cool. But you may recall the Colts had some… er… "protection problems" in their season-ending loss to the Steelers, so a back who can pick up the blitz is a must. Addai played a little bit of fullback during his college days and is unanimously considered the best blocker of this year's crop of feature backs. Scouting reports were dotted with phrases like "aggressive" and "willing blocker" and "special teams mentality," and all indicated he would be an asset rather than a liability in the passing game. That, coupled with his receiving, guaran-dang-tees him playing time on third downs. Mix in the aforementioned running ability and you're looking at a guy with the potential to put up serious numbers in Edge's shoes.

Oh, and did I mention the guy is pretty sharp, too? Minicamp reports commented on his grasp of the playbook, specifically how if he would make a mistake he would learn from it and not make the same error again. While Indy's playbook has essentially two running plays—stretch left and stretch right—everybody on the field needs to be able to adjust to Manning's audibles and know their assignment. A willing blocker is no good if he's not in the right spot to pick up a blitzing linebacker. And every indication is that Addai has a firm grasp of where he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to do once he gets there.

I know, I know, the guy hasn't even taken his first NFL hit yet and I'm already polishing his bust for Canton. But given that the previous two running backs Indy spent a first-round pick on—guys named Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James—each produced 1,000-yard campaigns their first time through the league, I gotta like Addai's chances of being a solid fantasy contributor this season. And obviously the potential is there for a whole lot more than just "solid."

There's still room on the bandwagon, but you'd better act fast.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby houstonherdfan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:28 pm

stomperrob wrote:Addai is bigger, faster and stronger than Rhodes and better able to handle the load as a full time back (Addai is similar in build to Edge, Rhodes is smaller in stature). Also he's probably a better blocker and receiver. And Rhodes hasn't been the same since his knee injury a few years ago. All that seems to point to Addai as the starter, or at least RBBC to start the season with Addai taking over within the first month.

Bigger is not always a good thing. I seem to remember a thread a couple of years ago where someone broke down Rb sizes and bigger backs were just as much as injury concern as the smaller ones.

Addai has never played a down in the NFL. He needs to prove he can handle the load before we annoint him.

We really don't know for sure that Rhodes is not the same as he was before the knee injury because at the time Edge was the starting RB and that was that. He has not had the opportunity to show much since Edge came back.

So I don't think we really know wh othe better back is. I would go with the vet over the rookie. I do agree if you are drafting early, you need to get both as a precaution.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby ngub12 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:42 pm

broken sword wrote:Addai fits the Colts' starting running back role much better than Rhodes. As stomperrob said, Addai is a polished pass blocker and a decent reciever out of the backfield, which are 2 inportant qualities the Colts look for. Plus the season that Rhodes ran for 1100 yards was also the year the Colts were 6-10. I don't think their coaching staff has much faith in Rhodes, and picking Addai in the 1st round tells me that they really like this guy.

what are you trying to say here and how does this support your point regarding Addai?
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby vickfan07 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:18 pm

this is why addai will start? the colts draft running backs to throw them in to the fire if needed not to sit them ... last three examples are marshall faulk and edgerrin james. Can anyone say addai for ROY
vickfan07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk