Eagles underrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eagles underrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eagles underrated?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:12 am

I was watching ESPN's playoff predictions, and the Eagles were not even mentioned. In fact, The Redskins were listed as the division winner, and the Cowboys were given a wild card spot. Then, when the topic of the Giants came up, is was stated that they were the 3rd best team in the division. Have people forgotten about the Eagles or is there something going on that I don't know about.

I am well aware that T.O. is no longer with the team, but let me remind everyone that they were pretty good before him. Everyone was talking about how they would just miss the superbowl, usually losing in the NFC divisional series, or NFC championship series, so if you think about it, T.O. only made a one game difference.

McNabb is still there, and Westbrook just signed a long term deal. Sure they don't have great wide outs, but I think they are probably better than they were pre-T.O. L.J. Smith is an excellent, and underrated TE who could be a significant passing target, and McNabb can buy some extra time with his legs for his recievers to get open.

Are the Eagles really that bad, or have they just slipped under the radar? Do the Eagles have a shot at being a significant force to make the playoffs, or even advance deep, or are they a team that is going to be in the top 10 of next years draft? And, are they resiliant enough to make it through a seemingly impossible situation, such as 4th and 26? Are the Eagles best years over, or are they still a potential superbowl threat?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:35 am

That division is so loaded up on talent right now I really feel barring injuries whichever team falls to 4th in that division is going to be the unfortunate victim of circumstance. I could see the Eagles finishing 4th or winning the division. I could see that happening with any of these teams. Personally, I give the Giants the slight favorite this year, but the fact is any one of these teams on paper would make an admiral representative for the NFC in the superbowl at the very least.

Scary thing is, these team will all beat up on each other, and no team in this division stands a chance of taking first seed, though a healthy team winning this division will probably be the NFC superbowl favorite.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:26 am

Right, but I have heard so much Cowboys talk with T.O. And so much about the Skins with Joe Gibbs having another year with the team. And a lot with the Giants about Tiki and Manning. Nothing about the Eagles, except the fact that they lost T.O.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:34 am

well, I am obviosuly a bit biased, but this is my honest opinion. YES, the eagles are very underrated this year, and I think the media is always looking for the next big thing. Let's not forget that this is the team that has won the most games in the regular season in the entire league since 2000. While I know that every team improved, the Eagles also improved and have the most recent string of success out of anyone in that division.

ITs easy to forget how many injuries they really did have. People can rail about "depth" all they want, but when you lose the best QB in the conference (and definitely in the division), your talented, dyanmic Running Back, TO, three offensive probowlers the year before, you are going to have problems. Losing akers was actually a big deal too, and anyone who watched the Oakland game will attest (People fter the fact came to the conclusion it would have been better to just take the illegal procedure penalty).

I know, I know, "excuses, excuses." We had key members of the secondary and defensive line hurt at various time, heck not that jerome mcdougle is some stud or anything, but he did get SHOT before the season. In short, it was a busted season, and that's that.

HOWEVER, this team did improve, and that spells a problem for the division. Each team got two wins at the eagles expense. However, the giants were the only team that didn't have to face mcnabb and westbrook in at least one of them. I highly doubt that the rest of the division will sweep the eagles again, so if they all split, the teams start out with another loss.

Frankly, I was very unimpressed with the way the skins and giants really struggled to defeat a decimated eagles squad last year. The skins needed the win, and it wasn't utnil midway through the foruth quarter that they really pulled ahead. McMahon took the Giants to OT.

I guess in summation, the eagles have the best real life qb in the division (I feel fantasy as well, but whatever). They have a pro-bowl running back suited to their offense coming back. They have healtheir corners, forgotten is lito sheppard had a lisfranc sprain, their defensive end rotation is now set and healthy (unlike last year.) Added two potential beasts in bunkley and darren howard. Added two offensive hogs in jean gilles and justice. And finally, the only three bright spots from last year have more experience and look set to produce: reggie brown, trent cole and ryan moats. Honestly, the additions of gaffney and schoebel mean that while they pass catchers aren't great, brown, gaffney, lj smith, schoebel and westbrook are amuch better bunch than what was around pre-TO.

I think the skins will win the division, and the eagles will take the wild card. their back half is TOUGH, but their first half is easy as pie. And in some respects, you would rather your tougher games later, as a) teams can get hurt b) it seasons you more.

Eagles could very well rattle off a bunch of wins early, then we will be seeing "the eagles are back" headlines. If so, what do the other teams think "uh oh, they are back?"--certainly a conisderation considering how the eagles have owned this division in recent years.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:37 am

I don't think it's so much the Eagles are so horrible, but rather, the teams in their division have gotten VASTLY better. Think about it, the year they reached the Superbowl, no one was talking about any of those other teams whatsoever. Now they are all packed with talent that, if used right, could definitely get each of them to the Superbowl in the greatly improving, but still weaker NFC. just my .02 on the matter
[url=http://fantasybasketballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19211/]My Sigs[/url]
AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:07 am

I think the Eagles are quite underrated, and I think we're going to see the rest of the teams regress this year despite it looking like they made improvements. The current NFL is full of those teams that just magically get good for one year and then fall back to their norm right after. The Redskins and Cowboys (along with the Bucs and Bears) just stunk of that last year IMO. The Giants are the only ones that I could see with major staying power and that's only because of Eli, elsewhere I could see them faultering as well.

Barring a major injury to Mcnabb I see Philly finishing no worse than 2nd in that division.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby My team is injured » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:04 am

I'm biased as well, but yes, the eagles are underrated.. some of the rankings I've been seeing recently are somewhat amusing... espn had us as the 23rd best team in the league... I've also seen very few analysts predicting us anywhere but 4th in the division... it's not to say that both of these couldn't happen (the 4th in the division being more likely), but I'd expect at least a little higher average prediction... I think it's good for the team though because it can give us a chip on the shoulder and more importantly, we're under the radar this year and the constant pressure from being in the news every day is gone
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:09 am

I don't think the Iggles are being overlooked. They have more questions than the other teams in that division. McNabb is the best QB in the division, but after that they don't stack up against division rivals.
Recievers. The Iggles are very iffy here, worse in the division. No Burress or Shockey. No S Moss or Cooley. No TO or Witten.
RBs. Iggles again don't fare well. Tiki, Portis are better than Westbrook and the Cowboys have better depth with Julie and Marion.
Defence. Iggles D was real shakey last season. Injuries happen, sure, but more so to teams that are over-matched. Dallas, Washington and the Giants all have better Ds.

Add this up and it's easy to see why the pundits would have looked past the Iggles. They weren't under-rating them, just being realistic. The Iggles are going to have a real dogfight on thier hands and will need much more luck than thier opponants to win the toughest division in football.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby JStein » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:17 am

I think Andy Reid is an excellent coach and more importantly, a good fit for the Eagles. That said, that division is loaded with coaching masterminds - Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, and Tom Coughlin to name a few. I would have to think any of those teams would have a chance, and the Eagles certainly did make some noise at the draft. They did get a more apt backup QB to replace the thoughrly inaccurate Mike McMahon, but that's gonna prove nothing until and if McNabb gets injured.

I would put them second in the division with a wild card. Cowboys and the Eagles.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:16 pm

moochman wrote:I don't think the Iggles are being overlooked. They have more questions than the other teams in that division. McNabb is the best QB in the division, but after that they don't stack up against division rivals.
Recievers. The Iggles are very iffy here, worse in the division. No Burress or Shockey. No S Moss or Cooley. No TO or Witten.
RBs. Iggles again don't fare well. Tiki, Portis are better than Westbrook and the Cowboys have better depth with Julie and Marion.
Defence. Iggles D was real shakey last season. Injuries happen, sure, but more so to teams that are over-matched. Dallas, Washington and the Giants all have better Ds.

Add this up and it's easy to see why the pundits would have looked past the Iggles. They weren't under-rating them, just being realistic. The Iggles are going to have a real dogfight on thier hands and will need much more luck than thier opponants to win the toughest division in football.

well injuries sure as hell matter. Everyone seems to forget that piror to the last year, the eagles were always among the league leaders in points against. considering how many three and outs the offense had last year, combined with injuries makes them look shaky. I mean we are one season removed from three of four secondary members making the pro bowl. and lets not forget that defense absoloutely shutting down LT last year.

RB depth is a problem, but you could also argue that each team in the division has a perfect fit for team needs. in relation to team needs, I think westbrook is every bit the weapon that those other guys are. I'd personally rather have tiki or portis. On the other hand, westbrook is a major mismatch for linebackers etc., that those other guys aren't. Wrestbrook is certianly more explosive on that front.

And no, I don't think the other teams have a secondary like the eagles do when healthy. every defense is good, mind you, and I love the skins d. But the eagles seconday is loaded. The addition of howard and bunkley should magnify that, giving that the opposing qb's won't have as much time this year.

And to say that the eagles don';t have receiving threats is ludicrous. They don't have a cooly, or a witten? I think LJ smith is quite talented than you very much. And no, the eagles don't have a plaxuico, TO or Moss, but they also have a better guy delivering the ball. And Plaxico isn't so awesome as to inspire fear. this same eagles defense has shut down weapons worse than him before: moss, TO, LT come to mind here. They didn't sudddenly forget how.

UI'd say every team in the division has better true Wide outs than the eagles. But that has been true almost for the duration of the eagles winning. Before TO, Keyshawn and Toomer were always better than anything we had, same with coles. The depth after TO when he was with us was bad. And now, while everyone is a c to c plus talent on the wide out front, this does represnet a stronger unit overall than donovan has had to work with in a while. Throw in schoebel and the history of the eagles spread it around philoshopy, I think the O compares favorably. And the eagles have the best kicker, the best pass catching RB, the best QB, and TE's that compare to what the rest of the league has. Shcokey and Whitten are better, but system has something to say for it too.

I think its legit to say the skins have a better d, but giants and boys? We'll see. As far as I am concerned, the stats and history favor the eagles overall. Let's see what the giants ca do when they don't have three total patsies on their schedule = new orleans, and two decimated eagles teams.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk