Eagles underrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eagles underrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:26 pm

in that division, any team can win it, and any team can end up in the cellar. every team should be mentioned as a contender.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:46 pm

Eagles are a bit forgotten just because of how horrific they played last year. People forget that they did it for so long w/o Owens. A healthy McNabb will make a huge difference. Reggie Brown could be highway robbery in the 9th-10th round.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby My team is injured » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:23 pm

steelerfan is right... a case can be made for each team in the division to finish first or last

as for eagles having the worst defense in the division, I disagree... the eagles defense underachieved last year for a couple reasons..

1.) they were on the field all the time, especially at the start of games due to the eagles offense going 3 and out and giving the ball back to the other team on many possessions... if (and this is a huge if), andy reid is more committed to the running game like he says he is, then the eagles defense shouldn't be burdened as much this season

2.) lack of a pass rush - they added darren howard through free agency and bunkley and gocong in the draft as well as getting mcdougle back... trent cole and patterson will be entering their second season as well and should have a better grasp of the system... with the expected pressure from the d-line, the secondary should perform a lot better, specifically lito sheppard who excels with pressure on the qb but can get exposed in coverage if the qb has time to sit in the pocket

3.) a few starting players clearly didn't pull their weight and didn't deserve a spot in the starting lineup: keith adams, mcdougle/kalu, and dhani jones... of these 3 positions, two have been replaced this year (howard at DE and shawn barber/mccoy at WIL), we also drafted gocong in the 3rd round to potentially replace dhani though I don't think it will happen this year...

4.) injuries... the eagles did have their share of defensive issues aside from injuries but also had some injury issues as well... the eagles overall had more players on IR than any team last year except for the cardinals (though more were on offense than defense)... they lost their starting def. end in the preseason (mcdougle though he hadn't shown much in the past he was slotted as the starter replacing burgess)... lito sheppard (who was underachieving prior to injury) went on IR midseason... darwin walker who started out the season on fire was never the same after sustaining an injury in the early weeks... some other players too but I don't think injuries were a big part of the problem anyway

I really expect the eagles defense to excel this year... we lost ND Kalu, Hollis Thomas, Paul Grasmanis, and Keith Adams this offseason and added Darren Howard, Shawn Barber, Broderick Bunkley, Chris Gocong, and a couple low round draft picks... you do the math but to me that looks like a clear improvement in talent

I'd put the eagles d ahead of the giants and slightly ahead of the cowboys... I also think they have more talent on D than the skins, but it's hard to argue with the success greg williams has had there
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:51 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I think the Eagles are quite underrated, and I think we're going to see the rest of the teams regress this year despite it looking like they made improvements. The current NFL is full of those teams that just magically get good for one year and then fall back to their norm right after. The Redskins and Cowboys (along with the Bucs and Bears) just stunk of that last year IMO. The Giants are the only ones that I could see with major staying power and that's only because of Eli, elsewhere I could see them faultering as well.

Barring a major injury to Mcnabb I see Philly finishing no worse than 2nd in that division.

2nd behind who?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:36 pm

Well, one thing I don't see people menchining about the Eagles is their run D. Their O will be good (with the exception of a lack of an interior running game; they need to get a big back for goalline/short yardage), and their pass D will be awesome with that secondary. However, is that same group of LB (Simoneau, etc.) going to be playing for the Eagles? because they weren't very good on run D (other than that one game where they shut down LT, but they had 9 in the box pretty consistently on them). Also who's playing DT for the Iggles (i don't know who is, I'm just curious as to how decent they should do...) This team is great, except for a possible lack of toughness. Oh, and I wonder if Akers really is the best kicker in that division. I would argue that vanderjagt may be better.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:28 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Oh, and I wonder if Akers really is the best kicker in that division. I would argue that vanderjagt may be better.

Vanderjagt can't do kickoffs. He lacks the strength to make good kickoffs, and think about the different a team starting every drive inside their 20 as opposed to 25-30 yard line makes. Akers is just as accurate and one of the better kickoff Kickers.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:48 am

I dont think the Eagles are underrated. At least not on this board. A lot of people gave them their due in the Hardest Divisoin thread.

Granted, the competition in the division is better by leaps and bounds compared to what it was when the Eagles dominated the division for years. But the core of the eagles, both offensively and defensively hasn't changed. People gave TO way too much credit for the Eagles downfall last year. I credit injuries. Barring major injuries to key players, I think the Eagles will compete this year
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:13 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Well, one thing I don't see people menchining about the Eagles is their run D. Their O will be good (with the exception of a lack of an interior running game; they need to get a big back for goalline/short yardage), and their pass D will be awesome with that secondary. However, is that same group of LB (Simoneau, etc.) going to be playing for the Eagles? because they weren't very good on run D (other than that one game where they shut down LT, but they had 9 in the box pretty consistently on them). Also who's playing DT for the Iggles (i don't know who is, I'm just curious as to how decent they should do...) This team is great, except for a possible lack of toughness. Oh, and I wonder if Akers really is the best kicker in that division. I would argue that vanderjagt may be better.

the run d has been spotty. but i think you will find that after trotter took over mid season in the super bowl season, the run d, while it could stand some improvement, has actually been pretty good. they got whaled on by the steelers, but then again they are an elite team, and the steelers whaled on a lot of people.

They have played better since the years past, and it really should be an addition by subtraction situation, getting jones out of there and adding barber should be a help.

And I think its hard to say vanderjact is better, could be equal at best, but akers is a damn fine kicker. And the real point with him is you really noticed ti last year when it seemed like every kick resulted in great field position for the other team. The kicking game is hugely important, and it will have a cascading effect. And if bloom is half of what we hope on the returns, the eagles could have an awesome weapon. Easy to forget that they lost JR Reid to injury, and he was nice on the returns as well.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby My team is injured » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:51 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Well, one thing I don't see people menchining about the Eagles is their run D. Is that same group of LB (Simoneau, etc.) going to be playing for the Eagles? because they weren't very good on run D (other than that one game where they shut down LT, but they had 9 in the box pretty consistently on them). Also who's playing DT for the Iggles (i don't know who is, I'm just curious as to how decent they should do...)

The eagles run D wasn't that bad last year at all.. they finished 21st in the league in RU yds per game allowed and tied for 20th in RU TDs allowed.. furthermore, partially due to the eagles poor time of possession, only 3 other teams had more rushing attempts against them than the eagles yet 11 teams gave up more yardage.. of the 8 teams with the most rushing attempts against them, the eagles gave up significantly less rushing yardage than all of them... in fact, the eagles D ranked 10th in the league in RU yds per attempt against them

the Eagles run D had its bad moments (atlanta without trotter and denver) and its good moments (san diego)... overall, I don't see the eagles run D as the liability it used to be as long as trotter stays healthy

as for DT, the Eagles are deep at DT with two 1st round picks from the last 2 years (Patterson and Bunkley) as well as Darwin Walker and Sam Rayburn in the rotation... Walker had 2.5 sacks the first 2 games last year before getting hurt and never really rebounding later in the season.. Darren Howard can also shift inside on passing downs and allow for Trent Cole to play DE opposite Kearse and boost the pass rush
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:17 pm

My team is injured wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Well, one thing I don't see people menchining about the Eagles is their run D. Is that same group of LB (Simoneau, etc.) going to be playing for the Eagles? because they weren't very good on run D (other than that one game where they shut down LT, but they had 9 in the box pretty consistently on them). Also who's playing DT for the Iggles (i don't know who is, I'm just curious as to how decent they should do...)

The eagles run D wasn't that bad last year at all.. they finished 21st in the league in RU yds per game allowed and tied for 20th in RU TDs allowed.. furthermore, partially due to the eagles poor time of possession, only 3 other teams had more rushing attempts against them than the eagles yet 11 teams gave up more yardage.. of the 8 teams with the most rushing attempts against them, the eagles gave up significantly less rushing yardage than all of them... in fact, the eagles D ranked 10th in the league in RU yds per attempt against them

the Eagles run D had its bad moments (atlanta without trotter and denver) and its good moments (san diego)... overall, I don't see the eagles run D as the liability it used to be as long as trotter stays healthy

as for DT, the Eagles are deep at DT with two 1st round picks from the last 2 years (Patterson and Bunkley) as well as Darwin Walker and Sam Rayburn in the rotation... Walker had 2.5 sacks the first 2 games last year before getting hurt and never really rebounding later in the season.. Darren Howard can also shift inside on passing downs and allow for Trent Cole to play DE opposite Kearse and boost the pass rush

20th and 21st sound pretty bad to me.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk