Roddy White - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Roddy White

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby vickfan07 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:33 am

i think the more comfortable vick is the less they run and they have a top flight run offense because of vick running it. usually when vick runs its a called pass
vickfan07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:27 pm

vickfan07 wrote:i think the more comfortable vick is the less they run and they have a top flight run offense because of vick running it. usually when vick runs its a called pass

No, they have a top flight run offense because they got Denver's old o-line coach Alex Gibbs to teach their guys the denver blocking system. Vick adds to the yards, but this is why they can just pound the ball.

You're right though, Vick runs when a pass is called, but he's not all that effective when he does pass. Its not like Big Ben in his rookie year when he hardly passed the ball, but his QB Rating was through the roof. And why is Vick gonna stop running? Mora tried that initially, it failed, so he went back to letting Vick take off and do his thing.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby vickfan07 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:08 pm

vick is gonna want to pass more to show the haters like some ppl so he will pass more just to state a fact... he said that in various interviews
vickfan07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Crippler » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:44 pm

vickfan07 wrote:vick is gonna want to pass more to show the haters like some ppl so he will pass more just to state a fact... he said that in various interviews

I'm sure there are a few DBs who will like seeing those passes fall right into their hands ;)

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Crippler wrote:
vickfan07 wrote:vick is gonna want to pass more to show the haters like some ppl so he will pass more just to state a fact... he said that in various interviews

I'm sure there are a few DBs who will like seeing those passes fall right into their hands ;)

Safeties will be licking the chops as they watch the ball sail over the WRs head right into their hands in their cover 2 coverage.

Either that or the ball will be skipping off the ground around the WR's ankles.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:55 pm

Vick will stick to doing what he does best: handing the ball off, dumping the ball off to Crumpler, & running so much that he gets hurt.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Johnny U » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:27 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Wait....I thought Vick was being benched for Shaub this year.... ;-7

Vick will never be anything more than what he is right now: a great athlete that happens to play quarterback. He has hit his ceiling and will never come close to approximating Steve Young, whom Atlanta hoped Vick would emulate.

The Falcons are paying Vick too much to bench him, but if they want to be anything more than a fringe playoff contender, that's what they should do. Schaub is a prototypical NFL quarterback. That is, a guy who will stand in the pocket, go through his progressions, and deliver the ball (read: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, Joe Montana, etc.).

This is still the blueprint for success at the quarterback position on the NFL level. I'm not saying running ability doesn't give quarterbacks an added dimension and something for defensive coordinators to think about, but in Vick's case it has clearly been to the detriment of his development. An NFL quarterback needs only enough mobility to sidestep the rush and throw the ball. The good ones have an innate feel for the pass rush and can deliver without bailing from the pocket at the first sign of trouble.

Until Vick proves he can do that, I don't think I'd draft Roddy White (or Michael Jenkins). Maybe I'd take one at the end of a draft and sit him on my bench until Vick shows he can become a consistent NFL passer.
Last edited by Johnny U on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:33 pm

Like how he told the media to get off his back for not being able to pass when he finally had over 200 yards receiving in a game about the middle of last year? Getting over 200 yards passing should not be a hurdle for any QB. Last year Vick only averaged 160 yards passing per game. If his idea of putting his critics to rest is only being average at what he's being criticized for not being good at....

He can say he's going to pass more all he wants, but that doesnt mean these passes are going to be completions. A strong arm does not equal an accurate arm.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby vickfan07 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:00 pm

watever most teams wish they had vick ne team without a probowl qb wpuld take him in a heart beat hes verey similar to mcnabb just mcnabbs coach is pass happy and hes been in the same system his whole career.
vickfan07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:54 pm

vickfan07 wrote:watever most teams wish they had vick ne team without a probowl qb wpuld take him in a heart beat hes verey similar to mcnabb just mcnabbs coach is pass happy and hes been in the same system his whole career.

That's the funniest post I ever read. :-b

The Jets need a QB desperately and I'd cringe if the got Vick. I'd also take Eli over Vick every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Vick similar to McNabb...that's just laughable.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk