UF Team Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

UF Team Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:54 pm

We have lost another OL. Our line is getting very thin and we don't have much experiance on it as it is. Chris Leak can play his butt off, and Urban can complain about no RB, but without OL there are no holes or protection.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:03 am

Update on Hurt. This morning i heard on the radio that Hurt actually expects to practice in 2 weeks after his knee scope. This is good news, since we are so thin at OL.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:23 am

If the Gators do have troubles at OL when week one comes, Leak will be in real trouble...he'll probably be too scared to drop back to pass - lord knows how scared he is to take a hit.

PS - What happened to that Portis guy (QB) who played the fourth quarter of the Kentucky game last season? I was looking forward to seeing his progress but haven't heard anything about him...

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:33 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:If the Gators do have troubles at OL when week one comes, Leak will be in real trouble...he'll probably be too scared to drop back to pass - lord knows how scared he is to take a hit.

PS - What happened to that Portis guy (QB) who played the fourth quarter of the Kentucky game last season? I was looking forward to seeing his progress but haven't heard anything about him...

His mommy convined him he should be the starter last year and he transfered to Maryland. Im glad he did, if he didnt we would not have gotten Tebow.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:26 pm

At worst we're going 7-5.

Losses to LSU, Auburn, FSU, and two of these four teams: Bama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. We have a good defense but our offensive line is garbage. This could be David Carr-esque rookie season offensive line quality. :-o

I go to UF and every damn sports writer in the school affiliated newspaper has the Gators winning the SEC title. Sorry boys, we may win the SEC east but Auburn/LSU will knock us off the SEC trophy.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:43 am

Meyer said that Tebow will get playing time this week. I wanna see how well he plays and also, who our best RB will be. I like Manson out of them all.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:44 am

My prediction for our regular season

10-2

Losses to Auburn(we always lose to a SEC West team)
&
LSU
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:56 am

roninmedia wrote:I go to UF and every damn sports writer in the school affiliated newspaper has the Gators winning the SEC title. Sorry boys, we may win the SEC east but Auburn/LSU will knock us off the SEC trophy.

Just so you know, the "Alligator", which I assume you're referring to, is independent of the University. So the writers have free reign over what they say and are not influenced by the University or the University Athletic Association. That being said, every year that I've been here at UF (this is my 3rd year at UF and 20th in Gainesville) the writers here are blindly optimistic. That optimism isn't just in football and to tell you the truth, I don't think UF is the only school where this happens. Last year you had people saying Urban Meyer will bring the school a National Title and Chris Leak will win the Heisman...in 2005! You just have to take it for what it's worth and understand who's writing the articles.

The Great Gambini wrote:If the Gators do have troubles at OL when week one comes, Leak will be in real trouble...he'll probably be too scared to drop back to pass - lord knows how scared he is to take a hit.

As far as the Gators' OL troubles, I think it will be improved from last year (if I may use a Zookism). While last year the line was full of seniors, the guys were unfamiliar with the zone blocking scheme that Urban Meyer's spread offense is based around. This year you have some guys who are more comfortable with the scheme and they aren't older guys who had been in the same blocking system for the previous three years (save starting senior center Steve Rissler who actually just moved to the position this year).

And as DeerayFan said about, Josh Portis transferred to Maryland. His mother was not pleased with his playing time (you can't make this stuff up) and so him and her made the decision that it was the right move to move on to another school.

The Gators do have a new backup freshman QB in Tim Tebow, one of the top dual-threat recruits in the '06 class who enrolled at UF in January. Which brings me to...

deerayfan072 wrote:Meyer said that Tebow will get playing time this week. I wanna see how well he plays and also, who our best RB will be. I like Manson out of them all.

Tebow will get some playing time this week but I just can't see Urban Meyer giving him significant playing time throughout the season. Tebow is the type of player right now who has freakish talents but might try to do too much. There was a story that came out around here about him diving to finish a drill but he dove head first into a wall. I mean you want your QB to have a fire to him but you also want him to be smart, that's something that Leak possesses. Leak only turned the ball over 6 times last year and while he may not have the speed or talent that Meyer wants he has the smarts and manages the game well at the QB position, something that will be very important in a four game stretch that includes @Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Georgia (@Jacksonville).
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby roninmedia » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:59 am

I don't share the same optimism of the Alligator writers. It will be a season with a 6-2 record in the SEC.

I doubt I will see a national championship season in my tenure at UF, which would be 5 more years. :-/
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

roninmedia wrote:I don't share the same optimism of the Alligator writers. It will be a season with a 6-2 record in the SEC.

I doubt I will see a national championship season in my tenure at UF, which would be 5 more years. :-/

Well considering we have had 1 national championship season in our history i have to say odds are with u. We don't have to win the National Championship, i just want to at least frickin be close some time soon. Which i think we will very soon }:-)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football