UF Team Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

UF Team Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:41 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Meyer said that Tebow will get playing time this week. I wanna see how well he plays and also, who our best RB will be. I like Manson out of them all.

I've been a bigtime Manson fan as well.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:27 am

Anyone get to see the game, i was at the devil rays game. Who looked good, who looked bad, comments on the game?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:45 am

I was at the game, will type up some comments tonight.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:13 am

Free Bagel wrote:I was at the game, will type up some comments tonight.

Thanks Bagel ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:39 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Anyone get to see the game, i was at the devil rays game. Who looked good, who looked bad, comments on the game?

Just real quickly, some of my comments from the game. (Note, I'm re-reading this now that I'm done writing it and maybe it isn't a quick read so if you don't like the Gators maybe this post isn't for you.)

The Good

Percy Harvin. The true freshman had a mental error on one of the first plays from scrimmage as he ran a 6 yard hook instead of in. That led to a Leak interception and S. Miss' only TD in the game. The INT went down as Leak's fault but it was clearly Harvin's mental mistake. Other than that mistake, Harvin played one heckuva game. He is the fastest player that I have seen on the UF team in awhile. He significantly faster than Cornelius or Caldwell and faster than Chad Jackson was last year. He had 4 running plays which he got for over 50 yards and was actually our leading rusher. He also had a few nice grabs for around 30 yards.

Dallas Baker. The senior WR is obviously Leak's most comfortable target. Leak consistently makes Baker his first read and has confidence (well warranted) in Baker's hands. Baker is a big strong receiver who's hands have improved and now has very strong hands. He went for around 8/120/1 TD. Note however that the touchdown was just a complete breakdown by the S Miss defense and he was wide open in the endzone for the Gators' first score.

The Secondary. The secondary surprised with a strong performance early in the year including three interceptions. Ryan Smith blitzed early and often out of 4-3, nickel, and basically any other formation we threw out there. The transfer from Utah played a solid game with lots of pressures on the QB. Reggie Nelson played an outstanding game as usual and also did a superb job on punt returns, something we lacked last year. He made quite a few guys miss and should break one or two this year for sure. Reggie Lewis is clearly our best cover corner as he had a solid coverage game. Then lastly Tony Joiner's coverage skills seemed to be improved from last year and he still provides the energy on the field that he always has. The weaknesses though come with the Nickel formation where either Tremaine McCollom (who's only 5-8 170) or Kyle Jackson have to play. McCollom is too small to play and is going to get abused by SEC receivers and Jackson has little coverage and no tackling skills whatsoever. When we switch to nickel it was evident to me that we will have serious problems this year.

Chris Leak. As usual he managed the game well and put the team in a position to win. His numbers look like he performed better than he really did but he put the Gators in a great position to win.

LBs. Brandon Siler. Earl Everett. I don't need to say anything about them. However Brian Crum played a solid game as well.

The Bad

The OL. They struggled and it really resembled last year at times. There were times where Leak would take a 3-5 step drop and just not have a chance. A lot of times S Miss went with the LSU strategy and blitzed more people than the Gators had blockers and that really confused the line and more than one person got loose a few times. The line struggled and this could be an achilles heal for sure.

RBs. Wynn and Moore were the only RBs to see playing time. They looked okay in the first half, however when Wynn went down with a stinger in the second half and Moore was forced to finish up the game he really struggled (this was also partially because of the line's play). I think the rotating RB system could work with these two however Meyer has said after the last game that true freshman RB Mon Williams could see some playing time next week.

DL. They didn't really have a bad game, more of a disappointing one. They didn't perform as well as I expected them to, partially because of Marcus Thomas' absense. For an undisclosed reason Meyer benched him during the game and that hurt. Also, Ray McDonald still didn't play that much and he most likely won't return to past form. Jarvis Moss did however have a good game with the pressures he put in as well as doing well in the times he fell back into coverage.

Overall the game was not as much of a blowout as the 34-7 score indicated. The Gators did not look comfortable on offense early on however the defense looked stellar not only with stopping S Miss but with creating turnovers as well. If the OL gets the wrinkles ironed out they could have a solid season however if they play the way that they did on Saturday it could be a long season.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:38 pm

I will e at the UCF game, hopefully we look a little better. UT looked really good against Cal. We will need to come out strong.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:17 am

Tampa radio has reported that Urban Meyer was asked if he would be interested in the Michigan job if Carr would be fired, and Meyer said yes. Has anyone seen anything about this anywhere? I know he is a big 10 guy, but i hope this is just some stupid rumor.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:39 am

Looked really solid against UCF. Percy is going to be a great football player, that guy is fast. The d stepped up and shutout a decent offensive team. Next up UT.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:50 pm

Time to beat Tenn A**
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:20 am

Looking good on the recruiting so far, got the Number 1 TE, number 2 DT, 11 WR, 18 OL, 20 QB as rated by scout and have higher guys still very interested. Mayer is definetly recruiting well and get people excited to come to UF again.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to College Football