Does any worry about LJs value this year. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does any worry about LJs value this year.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does any worry about LJs value this year.

Postby Kellys Heroes » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:22 am

What will hurt

1) His fullback just retired, I'm not a KC Homer so I have no idea how his replacement is.

2) The line is getting old. May not facter in a redraft league but something keep leagues may want to think about.

3) First time starting. LJs a monster, but this is first season taking a full load. SA and LT2 are more proven in this aspect.

What will help him is the conservative play Of Big Herm, 3 and 10 - run the ball. 3rd and 5 - swing pass to LJ.

After thinking about it, I like SA and LT2 better. But my real plan is to get my hands on LJ and trade him alway for a lower rb and #1 wr. If I were to draft LJ, I would go RB/WR/WR/ etc; That way you could have a 2 teir 2 rbs and 2 #1wrs.

Thoughts
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:30 am

With the #1 pick, I'm taking Larry Johnson every time. ;-D :-D

When all is said and done, the Chiefs will be one of the better offenses in the league and it all goes through LJ.

There are many things I worry about...."Did I leave the stove on? Did I remember to pay my car bill? When and how will I die? Will I ever meet Pamela Anderson?" I DO NOT worry about Larry Johnson....given what he has done in the past he's as close to a sure thing as their is in fantasy football.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:48 am

I wouldn't worry about LJ's ability to handle the load. He's built for it. If he was 5'7 185 I might worry about it, but this guy's solid. Can he perform for a full 16 games like he did for the final 9 games last year? I doubt it, but I think he'll come close. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top 3 RB's. All 3 will perform and perform well, but I think LJ definitely carries the most upside.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:23 am

It seems to me like people are looking for ways to knock larry johnson, and what he did last year (e.g. he hasn't played a full season yet, his team is getting older, etc). The fact is, you have to look at the numbers he put up last season, and realize that his upside is just absolutely absurd. I mean he could honestly rush for 2000 yards and 26 TDs this year, and when someone has that type of potential/upside, I just don't think you can pass him up. And that is why in every draft this year, be it a PPR or a non ppr, I will take Larry Johnson before every other player.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:10 pm

LJ's fullback didn't retire, he went to Minnesota.

This year, no I dont worry, LJ will be a beast. After this year... Any given off-season I could see Green, Roaf, Shields, and Kennison retiring or their bodies just falling to pieces. 2 Hall of Fame linemen, a star QB and decent #1 WR are not easily replaced, especially in a 1-2 year (I'm being generous) timeframe. The fact that must of the rest of the offense is old, and their skills will likely decline over the next 2-3 years doesn't help either.

The worst part for those that own him in a dynasty, is that without Al Saunders there, once these players who know Saunders's system inside and out like Roaf and Shields leave, there won't be any coach around to teach the new players. KC's offense will start to look different in 2-3 years, and well, it can't get any better than it was for LJ, so that can only be bad.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:38 pm

ajdlskfjlwekwj I don't get this.

Even someone starting a post about LJ's concerns doesn't mention Saunders/Vermeil leaving town?

That is the ONLY concern with LJ this year, and it it's enormously underrated by most. All that other stuff doesn't matter, but c'mon people doesn't anyone realize what these guys do for fantasy RB purposes?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby aussieboy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:41 am

Even someone starting a post about LJ's concerns doesn't mention Saunders/Vermeil leaving town?

That is the ONLY concern with LJ this year, and it it's enormously underrated by most. All that other stuff doesn't matter, but c'mon people doesn't anyone realize what these guys do for fantasy RB purposes?

I hear ya loud and clear FB.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:07 pm

Free Bagel wrote:ajdlskfjlwekwj I don't get this.

Yea it's pretty big, these are the masterminds that create the roadways for the lineman to open for thr RB to run down, i think Saunders leaving will be LJ's biggest issue to watch, i really wanna see how their play calling will change and how KC will handle their RED ZONE offense now.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:15 pm

Free Bagel wrote:ajdlskfjlwekwj I don't get this.

Agreed. This is also one of the reasons I bumped Portis up a few notches in terms of projection. In regards to LJ though, I don't think the leaving of Saunders will be a huge issue this year. Like maddog said, most of the lineman still know the schemes and I don't see them forgetting. Now Edwards is a concern, but hopefully he understands enough that players like Roaf and Shields know the game and really could become coaches down the road if they wanted to. Hopefully, Edwards is willing to take their input as the season gets going. Of course this has yet to be seen.

But I agree, the biggest detriment to LJ is Saunders leaving and to a lesser extent Vermeil leaving. Even if the older guys retire, if Saunders were still there, you could see the new lineman learning the system, but now once Roaf/Shields go, so does the knowledge they received from Saunders.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:06 pm

If anything, I think Dee Brown is being seriously underrated.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk