Does any worry about LJs value this year. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does any worry about LJs value this year.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jhofingers » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:It seems to me like people are looking for ways to knock larry johnson, and what he did last year (e.g. he hasn't played a full season yet, his team is getting older, etc). The fact is, you have to look at the numbers he put up last season, and realize that his upside is just absolutely absurd. I mean he could honestly rush for 2000 yards and 26 TDs this year, and when someone has that type of potential/upside, I just don't think you can pass him up. And that is why in every draft this year, be it a PPR or a non ppr, I will take Larry Johnson before every other player.

This guy hit it on the nose. His upside is INCREDIBLE. It could be 2700 total yards and 30 TDs....no joke. I have watched Chiefs football my whole life, and their system is built for RBs to get in the endzone.
jhofingers
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jhofingers » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:00 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:It seems to me like people are looking for ways to knock larry johnson, and what he did last year (e.g. he hasn't played a full season yet, his team is getting older, etc). The fact is, you have to look at the numbers he put up last season, and realize that his upside is just absolutely absurd. I mean he could honestly rush for 2000 yards and 26 TDs this year, and when someone has that type of potential/upside, I just don't think you can pass him up. And that is why in every draft this year, be it a PPR or a non ppr, I will take Larry Johnson before every other player.

This guy hit it on the nose. His upside is INCREDIBLE. It could be 2700 total yards and 30 TDs....no joke. I have watched Chiefs football my whole life, and their system is built for RBs to get in the endzone.
jhofingers
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:15 pm

Free Bagel wrote:ajdlskfjlwekwj I don't get this.

Even someone starting a post about LJ's concerns doesn't mention Saunders/Vermeil leaving town?

That is the ONLY concern with LJ this year, and it it's enormously underrated by most. All that other stuff doesn't matter, but c'mon people doesn't anyone realize what these guys do for fantasy RB purposes?

So... does this make Clinton Portis a monster in 2 seasons? Perhaps #1.

PS - Larry's stock cannot get any higher. He has nowhere to go but down. Just a reminder for those thinking of trading him, now is the definately the time.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:37 pm

for this year, he has absurd potential. like DJF said, he was going at a rate to rush for well over 2000 yards last year. he had 261 carries over 9 games, getting 30 carries five times and only going under 25 once. anyone who can take that type of punishment, even if only for 9 games, has shown me he can carry the load for a long time. in redraft, he goes first for me every time. although his offense is getting older, and in a few years it may be tougher for him, i still believe he will put up awesome numbers because he is awesome.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:00 pm

I don't buy "upside" on this guy. We've seen his upside...it isn't going to get any better. He was in the optimal position to perform last year. Started a bit later in the season, on fresh legs, played some bad defenses and is on the best or close to the best rushing team in the league. Now, he will start from day one, with no break from training camp, and will not go up from there. I mean seriously, you think he can rush for more yards per game than he did last year? No. If you are projecting his stats over a full season, that's one thing. It is NOT upside, it is simply playing a full season. If anything, the remaining games he has left to play on that sched will bring his average down.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ek » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:37 pm

I think the main concern about LJ is Dick Vermeil leaving. Simply put, DV is among the greatest offensive coaches in the history of the league. Players who had been career backups, such as Kurt Warner and Priest Holmes, were superstars under his systems. Now granted, some of this is a result of the talent around those players, and most of that is still in place (for now)...but I have serious concerns about LJ's long term potential and would not be at all surprised if 2005 was the best season of his career.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk