Do you guys prefer small or large Starting line ups. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you guys prefer small or large Starting line ups.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you guys prefer small or large Starting line ups.

Postby Kellys Heroes » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:39 am

Do you guys prefer the standard qb, 2rb, 2wr, te, k, def or is it a custom league where can play many combination of starters (ex: qb, 3 wrs, 3 rbs, 2 tes, k, def or qb, 4 wrs, 2rbs, 2 tes, k, def or qb, 4 wrs, 3 rbs, te, k, def).

Personally, I prefer the the custom, since its more about a "team" and not a stacked couple of guys. Custom leagues give you different options on draft day too. Last year; my league allowed qb, 3wr, 1 rb, 2 flex, te, k, def. 1 guy Went on a wr tear while the rest of us standard format took or 3 rbs in the first 5rds. That guy took Droughins in the 6th and came in 2nd. In all the, custom gives you a couple of more options while the standard set up seems so "cut and dry".

P.S. I never play 2 qbs, ks, or team defs - thats a little too crazy.
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:01 am

I like this the best:
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
DEF

With that being said I also like to try different things. I am not a big fan of flex positions, but I will still join a league for teh challange. I am also starting to be a big fan of the IDP, it throws a nice new wrinkle into the drafting and roster management ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Kellys Heroes » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:07 am

dream_017 wrote:With that being said I also like to try different things. I am not a big fan of flex positions, but I will still join a league for teh challange. I am also starting to be a big fan of the IDP, it throws a nice new wrinkle into the drafting and roster management ;-D

I'm becoming a fan of IDP myself; I may not play any Team d leagues this year.

I did one draft already this year an that had both; I didn't like it.
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Jimboozie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:06 am

My fav lineup would have to be....

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
RB/WR
TE
D
K

Also, the 2 QB leagues are fun and add a nice twist.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kellys Heroes » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:27 am

Jimboozie wrote:My fav lineup would have to be....

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
RB/WR
TE
D
K

Also, the 2 QB leagues are fun and add a nice twist.

Ya, some thing like that is fun, I like to throw in the wr/te option w/ that; but it matters how many teams are in the league. I have seen teams that play to 2 good te and do alright.
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:17 am

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
D
K

Thats like the basic one and its also my fav. I don't know whether its large or small but thats the one I like.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby FF Newbie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:25 am

I like large starting lineups because adding an extra QB and WR helps to balance out the dominance of RBs and puts more of an equal emphasis on all positions. It's also more realistic. Leagues with standard lineups devalue QBs, which is totally unlike the real NFL. I also like that deeper starting lineups make the draft more important and help mitigate the advantage of an early pick. In leagues that start small lineups, having one of the big-3 RBs is essentially a free ticket to the playoffs and not having one nearly guarantees mediocrity (in competitive leagues). Larger starting lineups give everyone a more equal chance and also eliminate some of the week-to-week luck factor of one or two players having a huge week. It also gives you more players to follow on Sundays, which is fun. This is what we start in my league:

QB
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
WR
TE
RB/WR/TE
PK
DT
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Make the lineups as large as possible IMO. For a twelve team league I wanna see something like:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
K
D

That's minimum. The there's the option of adding another RB, WR, and a flex to make it more interesting.

Potentially:
QB
RB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
WR
RB/WR/TE
TE
K
D

Big lineups make even little moves important. Might have to tweak the scoring a little bit to make rosters more flexible.. but it really makes you think before putting together your roster. If you have smart owners, a big lineup can make for an incredibly challenging and fun league.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:33 pm

My favorite out of all the years is the following in a 12 team.

QB
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
Flex (any non QB)
TE
K
K
D

I like it for a few reasons. The lineups are big enough that you have to have a good feel come draft day so you can find value late because they WILL be starting for you. The second QB also makes QB's a nice commodity especially considering 4 teams only have 2 starters and will take goose eggs at the spot 2 weeks out of the year unless injuries save them or they pull off trades. That's also the reason you can't use a QB as your flex. The 2 kickers actually makes trying to get a solid kicker worth it as we charge for roster moves as well.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Football Talk