Willis McGahee - thoughts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willis McGahee - thoughts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:32 pm

vickfan07 wrote:if you want a running back from the U you should pick gore over mcgahee

So you are telling me to select Gore in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of McGahee :-?
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:35 pm

vickfan07 wrote:if you want a running back from the U you should pick gore over mcgahee

Funny, but I agree. I had Mcgahee last year and he was on the bench all year. And that's in a league that starts 3rb. That tells you all you need to know. He is leaner and quicker, but that only means he will be running into clogged holes in half the time. That team is a disgrace. He's another guy I just wouldn't draft, wherever you take him (in first 3 rounds) there is likely to be better talent elsewhere. Gore included.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby teacupwoozy » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:39 pm

yeah wow, i agree with vicki too... but gore is in the better situation this year. i mean who the hell knows who is a better QB cause smith has done nothing to prove himself, but the niners have good recieving options and that should be able to stretch the field better than just lee evans and the mystery bag of buffalo QBs. Davis should be a great TE, plus they already have Johnson, Bryant is a very talented wideout he is just whiney and moody, being that battle is his only competition he should be content with at least the amount of balls if not the quality thrown to him... i dunno gore just seems in a better position, though barlow is better competition than willis'... who is buffalo's backup?? wow.
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Gore?

Postby levittator31 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:42 pm

McGahee does in fact have a terrible offense. IMO this means 2 things.
1: D can stack the box against McGahee creating little running room.

2: He HAS to get carries. He is far and away the Bills' best option on offense, so he should see the ball plenty adding yards and TDs. Even if he has a low average, he is simply their only option.

Gore has a worse (yes, worse than the Bills) offense. This makes the situation the same. However, McGahee seems to have more natural talent. This pushes him over Gore, though by no means makes him a true quality #1 back.
Go Bengals, NY Giants, Raptors, Blue Jays, Nationals, Wizards, Maple Leafs, Ohio State Football and Basketball, and U Dayton Basketball!
levittator31
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Even Hicks is far far better than the other Buffalo options (Anthony Thomas and Shaud Williams are all they got). I see SF splitting reps between all 3 backs, just like they did the end of last year. McGahee is a better option than Gore because he'll get 100 more carries and he has more talent. Now, if you're comparing McGahee in the 2nd vs. Gore in the 6th, I'd rather lock up Holt or Owens and get Gore later, but for equal price give me McGahee.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:42 pm

obviously I wouldn't really take gore in the third. but like you say, McGahee is not worth drafting where he weill be available....any other ADP 3-4th rounder is a better option than Mcgahee. I've never seen a guy get so many carries and get so few yards..
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:42 pm

This is a hard one because Willis has the talent. I think we would all agree on that. The funny thing though is everyone is still basing their opinions off of what they thought he would do last year. The only thing that drastically changed from '04 to '05 was the loss of TDs. His YPC went from 4.0 to 3.8. Neither of those numbers jumps out at you. I think Willis is a solid 2RB. But everyone drafted him thinking top 5 production, and now it seems like we hold him to that standard. However, there have been plenty of threads that just because you can be a 2RB does not mean you should get drafted in the second round this year. The positive thing that Willis has that many other RB's in the same general tier don't have is you know he is the man and will get his carries.

I put Willis above players like CTaylor, JLewis, and JJones because they have questions as too how much of the load they will get throughout the year. I put him in around the likes of Droughns and Parker at this point. But out of those 3, I would want Willis based on ability and possible upside alone.

But I think it just goes to show the logjam after the top 7 or 8 RBs this year. Everyone should be realizing by now that having RB depth this year is looking to be more important than ever.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:05 pm

I seriously doubt Mcgahee, or any Bill's players for that matter (save their defense) will end up on any of my fantasy rosters this season. It's a trainwreck waiting to happen IMO.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby cordscords » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:50 pm

1300 yards, 8-10 TD
cordscords
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Johnny U » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:46 am

I don't see how McGahee's production will improve substantially over last year. What have the Bills done to address the offensive problems that contribute to McGahee's pedestrian numbers? Their offensive line is essentially the same (correct me if I'm wrong), their quarterback situation is the same (which is to say mediocre to poor) and they may have actually gotten worse at wide receiver with the loss of Moulds. The only way I'd take McGahee is if he somehow falls into my lap in the third round.
Johnny U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk