Ron Dayne and the Denver RB quandary - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ron Dayne and the Denver RB quandary

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ron Dayne and the Denver RB quandary

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:11 am

Okay, it seems that everyone and their mother has Ron Dayne penciled in as the next 1000 yard rusher out in Denver. Maybe it's just me but I have no desire to draft Dayne until the 10th round or even later! I know the knock on Tatum Bell is that he can't block or shoulder the full load so naturally Dayne should be the man, right? I'm just not buying into those statements or theories.

If you look back to 2004, Griffin was "supossed" to be the next 1000 yard rusher. That didn't work out too well and next thing you know, a guy with the first name of Reuben was rushing his way to that honor.

Next year, Tatum Bell was touted as the next 1000 yard rusher for the upcoming season and he was being draft fairly early in most mocks and drafts. Once the season started Mike Anderson was the man and ran his way to that 1000 yard honor.

Now, we have this year and everyone says Ron Dayne will be this guy. I just don't buy that based on track record. It could very well end up being an unknown like Mike Bell, Marty Johnson, Cedric Cobbs, Brandon Miree, or even Tatum Bell that becomes the "Denver 1000 yard rusher"

I don't know if anyone else agrees with me here but that's just my take or my 2 cents, so to speak, on the Denver RBs this year.
Last edited by J2thez929 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:16 am

Pssst - Ron Dayne can't block either... but the koolaid drinkers ignore this fact.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:46 am

1000 yards? Try double that. My analysis puts him at 2041 rushing yards and 22TDs...6 yards receiving.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 am

Heres my thoughts:

If the 1000 yd RB out of DEN is always the unpredictable RB, then isn't that in itself now coming predictable that it's the unpredictable? And now if its supposed to be unpredictable, then that would lead me to believe that the true unpredictable RB, is the current predictable RB. And the current predictable RB, who would really be the undpredictable RB b/c he is the predictable RB is Dayne. Its all very simple!
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Ron Dayne and the Denver RB quandary

Postby biju » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:10 am

J2thez929 wrote:Next year, Tatum Bell was touted as the next 1000 yard rusher for the upcoming season and he was being draft fairly early in most mocks and drafts. Once the season started Mike Anderson was the man and ran his way to that 1000 yard honor.

Are you sure you have your information correct here? Mike Anderson didn't just randomly get the starting job--he decidedly earned his spot early in the preseason. People failed to recognize it because of Tatum Bell. I remember a *ton* of people thinking Bell was going to win the job outright within a few weeks.

Well, the exact same thing is happening yet again but s/Anderson/Dayne/g; I bet people are still going to draft Bell early and expect him to win the job before the season's over.

This isn't to say that Dayne is going to be the next Clinton Portis or anything. You still need to temper your expectations since it still is a RBBC, but the situation lends itself to Dayne having good #3 RB numbers at the very least.

What I need to do is search for those threads from last year predicting the same thing. I'm curious if the same folks are doing it again or if it's a whole new breed of wishful thinking.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:18 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:1000 yards? Try double that. My analysis puts him at 2041 rushing yards and 22TDs...6 yards receiving.

Thats my exact prediction! Only I had him getting 4.5 yards recieving...

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:29 am

biju wrote:
J2thez929 wrote:Next year, Tatum Bell was touted as the next 1000 yard rusher for the upcoming season and he was being draft fairly early in most mocks and drafts. Once the season started Mike Anderson was the man and ran his way to that 1000 yard honor.

Are you sure you have your information correct here? Mike Anderson didn't just randomly get the starting job--he decidedly earned his spot early in the preseason. People failed to recognize it because of Tatum Bell. I remember a *ton* of people thinking Bell was going to win the job outright within a few weeks.

Thats exactly what I'm trying to point out. Yes you are correct in stated that Anderson won the job during preseason. As for this year, a lot of people are predicting Dayne to win the job. Seems like Dayne has take the place of Tatum Bell this year.... hmmm.

Like I said, its not an exact science, its football. I'm just stating my opinions and thoughts on this situtation as we near training camp and the upcoming season
Last edited by J2thez929 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:33 am

Denver's lead dog has been very predictable if you looked at the preseason depth chart and listened to Shanahan's sound bites. It's only been unpredictable if you based it on hype and who the fantasy world WANTED to start. The only unpredictable part of 2004 was the injuries. The only unpredictable part of last year was that Shanny truely moved to a RBBC. This year Shanny said he is replicating what he did last year, with Dayne moving in Mike Anderson's spot. Unless Dayne blows his shot in the preseason, that's probably what will happen.

PS - You forgot Cecil Sapp.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:34 am

Flux wrote:Heres my thoughts:

If the 1000 yd RB out of DEN is always the unpredictable RB, then isn't that in itself now coming predictable that it's the unpredictable? And now if its supposed to be unpredictable, then that would lead me to believe that the true unpredictable RB, is the current predictable RB. And the current predictable RB, who would really be the undpredictable RB b/c he is the predictable RB is Dayne. Its all very simple!

Wtf did he just say? :-b
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby biju » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:42 am

J2thez929 wrote:
biju wrote:

Thats exactly what I'm trying to point out. Yes you are correct in stated that Anderson won the job during preseason. As for this year, a lot of people are predicting Dayne to win the job. Seems like Dayne has take the place of Tatum Bell this year.... hmmm.

Like I said, its not an exact science, its football. I'm just stating my opinions and thoughts on this situtation as we near training camp and the upcoming season

Gotcha.

I can see what you're saying but the difference (as I remember it) was Shanahan was saying throughout the preseason Anderson was the starter. Currently he's stating that Dayne is the starter. And I'm pretty sure everyone has heard about how Tatum Bell can't do much after 12 carries so this is why I'm effectively getting ahead of myself proclaiming Dayne as the starter.

Regardless, neither of them are worth more than a 5th round pick at the earliest, unless an injury occurs in preseason.

As someone mentioned, I'm still keeping my eye on Cedric Cobb--for next year...

8-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk