Who would you pick with the 8th pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who would you pick with the 8th pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who would you pick with the 8th pick?

Postby AssaultandPeppers » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:48 pm

Hey all, new to the board. I'm in a 16 team yahoo league. QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/K/D. In a 16 team league the talent is spread thin, however I've got the 8th pick. I'm thinking I'll have James, Rudy, Jackson, Steven Smith,etc...........All Td's are 6 pts. I'm thinking I'll have to get a rb first, but the top 3 are so far ahead of the rest. Also, with the 2nd pick #24, would you go rb again? I think last year Gates went in the 2nd round. Would it be dumb to grab him with this pick? I've not had a good tight end in 3 years. Although I really like Vernon Davis in some later rounds. Will Phillip Rivers be able to get Gates those numbers? Sorry, about the numerous questions, just trying to get a head start. Maybe someone could break it down, by rounds on how you would draft.
AssaultandPeppers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Stelly » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:07 pm

IMO, Rudi is right pick at #8. He is pretty much a lock for 1400/12. In a 16 team draft, you almost have to grab a RB at #8.

Good luck!
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby eagles21 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:15 pm

Yes for a 16 team league, you definetly have to pick a RB first. Rudy's a good pick at 8th. I had 8th in a 10 team league and I picked Ronnie Brown. Just someone to consider.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby AssaultandPeppers » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:24 pm

what if Edgerrin's there? Him or Rudi? Where did Edgerrin go in your draft? I really think Arizona's offense is loaded. Or course Cincy's is too, if Palmer's back early.
AssaultandPeppers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheFranchise » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:36 pm

I like Rudi Johnson, Edge, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac, Or Lamont Jordan. Is it a PPR league? If it is, I'd go Jordan then Edge. If it's not, I like Rudi. Is it a keeper league? If so, Ronnie and Cadillac are great picks to consider.
Last edited by TheFranchise on Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFranchise
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Stelly » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:36 pm

AssaultandPeppers wrote:what if Edgerrin's there? Him or Rudi? Where did Edgerrin go in your draft? I really think Arizona's offense is loaded. Or course Cincy's is too, if Palmer's back early.

It's a tough choice. You know Rudi is a lock for 1400/12. We don't know what Edge will do in a new offense with a significantly worse O-line.

I think Rudi is the safe pick, but Edge is still a great choice as well!
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:40 pm

You mentioned Jackson originally. He's the easy choice over RUdi or Edge.

With the 8th pikc this is how I'd be looking at them:

Jackson
R Brown
Jordan
Rudi

Since you can count on at least LJ, LT, SA, and Portis going before you, one of those other 4 guys will fall to you and have good value at the 8th overall spot.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:46 pm

In a redraft league I'd rank it Portis, Tiki, Edge, Rudi, SJax, Brown, Jordan. There is a lot of separation between RB#3 and RB#4 but there is also a LOT of separation between RB#12 and RB#13. Pick #8 will get you a star RB, make sure you get one because there won't be one at pick #24. Especially since you only start 2 WR.

Gates will go just before #24. At that pick it is more about value. There is probably a RB worth taking there (Willie Parker, Kevin Jones). But if Gates or a solid WR drops (Owens, Moss, Harrison) I wouldn't be afraid to take the WR/TE. Gates' #s will stay consistent with Rivers - even if he drops a little he will still be far and away the #1 TE and worth the draft position.

There are a lot of sleeper TEs out there this year. Davis and Winslow are two of the more talented guys at the position - either could turn in a huge year. Personally, I don't believe Alex Smith will ever develop - I would rather see VD anywhere else, even Buffalo. If you get VD (first go to a clinic for a shot), then I'd try to pair him with Watson, Stevens, or Wiggins who should be safer bets in case VD's development is dragged down by Smith.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby AssaultandPeppers » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:58 pm

PPR league? Why can't I think of what that is? It's not a keeper league. It's a one on one leauge(is that what you call it?) You know when you have a weekly win or loss, not the points per category style. Dang, sounds like I just started playing, but I've played fantasy for 10 years, just never really chatted about it.

ps, VD comment was funny.

edit to change word to dang, lol
AssaultandPeppers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moonhead » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:04 pm

AssaultandPeppers wrote:PPR league? Why can't I think of what that is? It's not a keeper league. It's a one on one leauge(is that what you call it?) You know when you have a weekly win or loss, not the points per category style. Dang, sounds like I just started playing, but I've played fantasy for 10 years, just never really chatted about it.

ps, VD comment was funny.

edit to change word to dang, lol

ppr means points per reception. in those type of leagues guys like lamont jordan or brian westbrook become much more valuable because of their ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. whereas a guy like rudi is going to come out of the game on 3rd downs because he's not a huge receiveing threat and perry is.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to Football Talk