Drafting Portis in the top 3? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting Portis in the top 3?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting Portis in the top 3?

Postby wbgrafix » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:43 pm

It seems the top 3 all have ??? going with their position:

LJ - New coaching staff, Holmes planning to come back, O-Line getting older than dirt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Lost one of the best guards in the league. Will have 2 healthy receivers back in the offense compare to last year. Can't possibly do what he did last year, or even come close? Madden curse lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

LT - Playing with new quarterback. Nuff said.

This being said, I would think Portis could possibly be drafted within the top 3, maybe not 1 or 2, but defenitly 3. He has better offense around him, a coach that loves to give him the ball and a new OC that made KC a powerhouse in the running game.

Thoughts?
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wenchtamer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:44 pm

I have a huge crush on Clinton Portis and would gladly father his assbabies.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby The_Dude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:45 pm

I get the arguments against LJ, SA and LT, but based on numbers and previous returns though, you have to justify who drops to 4 then?

I can't do it. Who would you actually consider taking Portis before?

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby wbgrafix » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Mainly LT, behind LJ and SA
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:49 pm

For redraft, I think the big 3 have to go 1, 2, 3. In Dynasty, I can see downgrading SA a slot. I know someone who took Portis over SA in a dynasty startup draft, and it was a pretty ok move, although it probably hurts his team's chances this year slightly.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby logan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:09 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:For redraft, I think the big 3 have to go 1, 2, 3. In Dynasty, I can see downgrading SA a slot. I know someone who took Portis over SA in a dynasty startup draft, and it was a pretty ok move, although it probably hurts his team's chances this year slightly.

i agree a dynasty would be about the only situation where i could justify portis over SA and even then it's a pretty hard sell for me. no way do i take him over LT in either a redraft or dynasty. in the four spot though i'll take him everytime in either.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby teacupwoozy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:20 pm

i have to agree with all of the above sentiment. SA in dynasty is the only way i can see it.

LT even with the rookie QB will get his. he has gotten his when his QB played like crap before. plus he is handsy and has been known to make alot happen from a swing pass which is one of "a rookie QB" (he's not really a rookie, he hasn't played much NFL ball but he has been sitting and learning and practicing for 2 years now) most reliable fallbacks. when you have an RB that can catch you use him as a saftey valve play the same way you might a TE (well not the same way, but you use him as a saftey valve...)

i am not saying portis doesnt have the skill or potential to outscore any of the above three its just about value at the pick...

there was another poster who asked if he should take S-Jax with the 4th overall pick. i say no way! what you do is you take one of the top three and then you trade for the guy you want plus another guy that you think has some decent value. You pick the highest trade value guy you see, then you go to portis' owner and say "hey gimme portis and "fill in the blank" and I'll give you the particular member of the big three that i took" even if he insists on a one to one trade you still haven't lost anything by taking one of the big three, you just gained the opportunity to get portis AND someone else for the one of the top three picks... see?
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:32 pm

In a dynasty, I would take Portis #3 behind LJ/LT.

Shaun Alexander is old, while Portis is very young, and an emerging star.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dcskater619 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:42 pm

I think LT with the new QB means more catches for him this year. Last time he had a bad QB situation, he caught 100 passes from little dump off plays. LJ and LT are definitely 1-2 and id say SA is 3 in every format. I wouldnt take Portis over any of those 3 in any format.
dcskater619
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:56 pm

I would also agree that the only way this is feasable is in the first year dynasty setting. But even then I am not sure I would see this argument. Heck I am not even sure I have Portis at #4 on my redraft rankings.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Next

Return to Football Talk