Drafting Portis in the top 3? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting Portis in the top 3?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Bowie » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:06 pm

Portis isn't even #4 for many drafters. If you're that high on Portis, I would take one of the big three and see if you can't trade for Portis and another player after the draft (or trade picks before the draft if that is an option in your league).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting Portis in the top 3?

Postby FFPlayinMoFo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:21 pm

wbgrafix wrote:It seems the top 3 all have ??? going with their position:

Portis doesn't have ???s? His team's starting QB is elderly, and their backup QB hasn't played a single down thus far in his NFL career. If you're taking Portis in a dynasty/keeper league, you'll probably have to deal with the same problem next year that you would if you took LT this year. And Portis isn't as good as LT.

Unless there's an injury to one of the big 3, there's really no good reason to take Portis higher than #4.
FFPlayinMoFo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:40 pm

wbgrafix wrote:LT - Playing with new quarterback. Nuff said.

It never ceases to amaze me how short fantasy football owners' memories are. Lt's best year came under terrible QBing, a mix of early Brees and twightlight-years Flutie. A new QB won't phase him at all, he's proven his QB's performance doesn't effect his production.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby loophole21 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:52 pm

wbgrafix wrote:It seems the top 3 all have ??? going with their position:

LJ - New coaching staff, Holmes planning to come back, O-Line getting older than dirt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Lost one of the best guards in the league. Will have 2 healthy receivers back in the offense compare to last year. Can't possibly do what he did last year, or even come close? Madden curse lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

LT - Playing with new quarterback. Nuff said.

This being said, I would think Portis could possibly be drafted within the top 3, maybe not 1 or 2, but defenitly 3. He has better offense around him, a coach that loves to give him the ball and a new OC that made KC a powerhouse in the running game.

Thoughts?

I think you are nitpicking when you list the ???s. I could say that Portis has a new OC, and that his QB is aging, and that the skins aquired Lloyd to aid their passing game.

SA and LT have shown that they can produce elite fantasy numbers regardless of their situation, and LJ even in a split role with priest (which I dont think will happen) is capable of being a monster. Granted Portis had a great second half last year, he really has never been as accomplished as any of the top 3.

Like somebody else said, Portis should not go in the top 3, since the demand for SA,LT,LJ is so high. If you were in the top 3, you should take one of the big three and then trade the pick to the portis owner. I think you would get better value if you did this.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:53 pm

I think the top 3 still stand. They are so far ahead of what everyone else has been doing, and I don't think that will change this year.

Portis was a top 5 talent in Denver when he was "the man," and he's right back there again. If he gets the TD total up this year, he'll be very good. His outcome will be determined by the one thing that separates the "big three" from the others - the 1-3 yard TD plunge. LT, SA, and LJ put the ball in the end zone in that area almost every time. How many short TD's did Portis lose last year to the stupey-doh 1 yard TD passes to Sellers? Seven. Who knows how the play calling will be that close to the goal line this year though, but if half of those TD's are Portis runs, he'll be up to 15 TD's.

There certainly is a decent chance that they will use Portis for more goal line runs this year now that the Skins have established the short pass game down there...but he'll have to maximize those opportunities for us fantasy players to reap the benefits.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Dude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:12 pm

teacupwoozy wrote:i have to agree with all of the above sentiment. SA in dynasty is the only way i can see it.

LT even with the rookie QB will get his. he has gotten his when his QB played like crap before. plus he is handsy and has been known to make alot happen from a swing pass which is one of "a rookie QB" (he's not really a rookie, he hasn't played much NFL ball but he has been sitting and learning and practicing for 2 years now) most reliable fallbacks. when you have an RB that can catch you use him as a saftey valve play the same way you might a TE (well not the same way, but you use him as a saftey valve...)

i am not saying portis doesnt have the skill or potential to outscore any of the above three its just about value at the pick...

there was another poster who asked if he should take S-Jax with the 4th overall pick. i say no way! what you do is you take one of the top three and then you trade for the guy you want plus another guy that you think has some decent value. You pick the highest trade value guy you see, then you go to portis' owner and say "hey gimme portis and "fill in the blank" and I'll give you the particular member of the big three that i took" even if he insists on a one to one trade you still haven't lost anything by taking one of the big three, you just gained the opportunity to get portis AND someone else for the one of the top three picks... see?

a VERY smart post from someone with only 68 posts at the Cafe.

I agree 100% teacup!

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:48 pm

Taking Portis at #3 will get you laughed out of a redraft. You'll also get laughed at after the season.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheAlphaMale » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:17 pm

I gotta agree with Bowie...

If you like Portis that much, just trade one of the BIG 3 for him and a solid wideout.

IE LT for Portis and Chambers...just a quick example

I too, was trying to come up with reasons to take Portis over the Big 3. I just couldn't come up with a valid reason, other than me having a man crush on Portis for this up and coming season. LT, LJ, and SA all will score 18 tds this year. I can't say the samething about Portis.
TheAlphaMale
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby RotoDig » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Anything can happen but there's no way I would take Portis in the top three in a redraft or a keeper.
RotoDig
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk